• Something I’ve seen in a few games is US sending a transport to Algeria on US1.  Usually Germany’s pulled back to Libya with its infantry/artillery, so US lands unopposed.

Why does US do this?

• I usually do it with the 2 TRN, actually, to land 4 land units into Africa. That will usually cost me 2 TRN, but those 4 land units are really important in the Africa fight. They may actually be the only ones I will need until JAP actually commits to Africa.

I say usually, but it’s quite variable, depending on how many FTR have landed in W.EU, how the Anglo-Egypt went on G1 and UK1, what the chances are that the G Med fleet will be sunk on turn 2…

• @coorran:

I usually do it with the 2 TRN, actually, to land 4 land units into Africa. That will usually cost me 2 TRN, but those 4 land units are really important in the Africa fight. They may actually be the only ones I will need until JAP actually commits to Africa.

I say usually, but it’s quite variable, depending on how many FTR have landed in W.EU, how the Anglo-Egypt went on G1 and UK1, what the chances are that the G Med fleet will be sunk on turn 2…

This is exactly what we do to. It’s no problem for the US to replace them and it starts robbing Germany of African income immediately. Sometimes we send the UK tran and back it up with the US.

• '10

Guess it depends on what happens in Africa before the US goes, but if there are any german troops in Africa I don’t see the hurt in sending them.

It’s also about all there is for the US to do turn 1.

• '16 '15 '10

It’s a complicated question.  Especially in KJF games the USA player will frequently sacrifice the transports, because they want to make an immediate impact in Africa while spending everything on the Pacific.

Sometimes I don’t think Allies have a choice but to send in the trn.  Sometimes sacrificing 1-2 trn will pay off in the long run if it means Allies regain or hold Africa quicker.

I don’t have any definite opinions on whether Allies should or shouldn’t go to 12 USA1 but I can see the rationale for it.

• @Col.:

It’s also about all there is for the US to do turn 1.

i think this right here is a bigger part of it than anything.  you feel lame doing nothing so you take the one territory that is available to you.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m