Save Yucca Mtn. Send the nuclear waste into the Sun!

• It’s time we as a nation use our technological assets to actually do some good for the world.

The nuclear waste is an environmental hazard whereever it gets buried.

It is a terrorist hazard as militants getting any could deploy the waste in dirty bombs.

Face it, keeping this dangerous stuff on the planet is a bad idea.

NASA and the other space agencies send vehicles and satellites up into space. Even as far as Mars. We can certainly send a few payloads of waste to get burned up in the Sun.

• Problem is, what happens if the rocket your sending the waste up in explodes on earth or even worse, in our atmosphere.

• obviusly make it as safe as possible, and it would have to become practical, but i would agree to it. same thing with garbage. if it could be made practical, by all means.

• Problem is that safe as possible is not safe enough… and way too expensive.

• thus, impractical. also impractical because of the amount you could send up with each rocket wouldnt be any significant amount (most likely)

• @F_alk:

Problem is that safe as possible is not safe enough… and way too expensive.

I’d rather have an expensive way of getting rid of it for good, than an inexpensive source of terrorist attacks anywhere on the planet. Esp since we would be their #1 target.

The gov’t seems to be spending tons of money these days. Why not take some of the money from the Mars mission or Yucca Mtn?

I have doubts about the safety of Yucca Mtn. Using our soldiers to guard that stuff would make it too expensive for them.

• I agree that the space agency expenditures are very high.

Space transportation becomes a lot cheaper when the people are left on the ground.

I would guess that it could take about 600 lbs of supplies to keep a 150 lb person alive for a month up there. And then you would need more weight in gear & eqmt for that person to do stuff up there.

This would make it very hard for any terrorist organization from getting waste down from space. Lets face it, most can find many other ways to terrorize the modern world if all of the nuclear waste was bound for the sun.

• @Linkon:

The gov’t seems to be spending tons of money these days. Why not take some of the money from the Mars mission or Yucca Mtn?

I have doubts about the safety of Yucca Mtn. Using our soldiers to guard that stuff would make it too expensive for them.

I actually think it’s cheaper for them to stick it under Yucca Mtn. then to send it into space, esp. given the near-certainty of one of the shuttles blowing up as it leaves.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m