So Ive just begun my first game of AA42 and I keep gettn hung on rules/procedure

• Can a battleship or cruiser bombard a fighter plane defending a territory?

• yes in amphibious

• Yes there is nothing special about fighters in this sense - but the bombardment is only possible if
    1: It is an amphibious assault, where land troops are deployed from a transport
    2: The cruiser/battleship did not participate in a naval battle prior to the amphibious assault

The cruiser/battleship only fires once prior to the first round of combat.
    You can maximum bombard with one cruiser/battleship per land unit deployed.

Usually it will be other units than a fighter selected as casualties in the first round of an amphibious assault. But in rare cases where fighters are alone in the territory, for instance if the allies landed planes on Gibraltar, the scenario with bombardment of planes can occur.

• Thanks Jiman for clearing that up. You should have written for the guide book. It says that," BB/CA  fires against enemy land units", thats where the argument originated. I assume now planes as defenders are considered as land units.

• Hang up 2: Can air units fly freely through enemy territories containing air units/and or AA guns to attack another territory, assuming it can still reach safety of course?

• Yes, they can overfly freely. The only situation where AA guns fire is if they are present on a territory being bombarded/attacked by enemy planes. Air units can only intercept enemy planes during bombing missions (if you use that optional rule) and only if they are present on the territory being bombed.

• Official Q&A

@IMFFRMA:

It says that," BB/CA fires against enemy land units", thats where the argument originated.

That’s an unfortunate leftover from a previous version of the Rulebook that was missed in review.  It’s cleared up in the FAQ.

• Hang up 3: Sea Battle
    A: I want to invade an island but theres a defenseless carrier defending its seazone. I have a nearby BB and FP to use. Could I use the FP first and then use the BB to bombard the island? Is it true sea units must go first? This would force me to waste the battleships bombard since it must clear the carrier.
    B: Pertaining to seazones that have islands that aren’t territories like Wake Is.
    Do the seazone and island act as one undistuishable defensive territory?
    If I attack a defending sea unit in one of these territories do land units or air units on the island automatically assist with the defense of the seazone?

• A: If the seazone is occupied by enemy units, your bombardment is wasted. BB is participating in the carrier fight.

B: Land and Sea zones are always divided - so it is two defensive territories and no unit can defend both. Wake Island is a territory - it just does not have any IPC value.

Some borderline cases:
    1: an IC on a land zone can produce sea units (and fighters if there is a carrier available) directly in the neighbouring sea zones.

2: In a sea battle, where a defender has a carrier and fighters, if the carrier is lost, the fighters must land in a friendly land zone or on a carrier one move away. Or it is lost.

• Hang up 4: I attacked a territory with an AA gun and one of my fighters was shot down. Do I get to use that fighter in the
    first round of defense during the attack like with lands units bombarded by BBs or CAs?

• @IMFFRMA:

Hang up 4: I attacked a territory with an AA gun and one of my fighters was shot down. Do I get to use that fighter in the
    first round of defense during the attack like with lands units bombarded by BBs or CAs?

Planes shot down by AA are removed immediately from the game.

• Just curious if for regular A&A42 has anyone ever added the concept of land based naval artillery? If someone has what are their rules and/or how do they change game mechanics?

• New Question: So ive nearly lost this new match I’m currently in as the allies. My friend insists we stick to the total victory rule and so I must go down swinging. He over ran the U.K.,so now U.S.A. inherits all U.K. ICPs of territorys it has units in at the end of its next turn. Q: If I have an air unit only in one of those territorys that hasn’t fallen do I claim it at the end of the next turn? Or must it be a land unit to claim?

• '10

The US doesn’t get those IPCs.

• @IMFFRMA:

New Question: So ive nearly lost this new match I’m currently in as the allies. My friend insists we stick to the total victory rule and so I must go down swinging. He over ran the U.K.,so now U.S.A. inherits all U.K. ICPs of territorys it has units in at the end of its next turn. Q: If I have an air unit only in one of those territorys that hasn’t fallen do I claim it at the end of the next turn? Or must it be a land unit to claim?

As Col. Ty Webb said, the territories controlled by the UK remain British after their capitol falls. You cannot capture them with the US because you can only capture hostile territories and may never attack an allied power (pg. 14 of the manual)
    What can happen, in the event a power loses its capitol, is that if any original territories of that country are liberated by an allied power, that allied power will assume control of the territory (and its income) until the capitol is liberated (pag.19  Liberating a Territory)
    On the example you mentioned, the US will only get income from any of the UK’s territories if the Axis conquers/liberates them and then the US reconquers them.

• I miss interpreted paragraph 2 of Liberating a Territory pg 19. Thanks again.

• New question. Can a transport move two spaces and then act as a bridge between two territories? Also in Axis&AlliesAniversaryEdition can fighter planes sink subs when a destroyer isn’t present?

• @IMFFRMA:

New question. Can a transport move two spaces and then act as a bridge between two territories?

Yes.

Also in Axis&AlliesAniversaryEdition can fighter planes sink subs when a destroyer isn’t present?

In both AA50 and AA42 fighters can only hit subs when a destroyer is also attacking.

• Ethics in AA50. So Im Germany and In round 1 I was guarding SZ 3 from an U.K invasion from E.Canada. I had 1 sub+1 DD He had his cruiser and three planes. My DD destroyed his Cruiser on the defense but we misinterpreted the rather unclear sub rules and allowed his planes to finish off my sub. Now that we know that the game is off to unfair advantage what to do? Obviously we can’t undo his invasion of Norway and how much that set me back retaking it and fouling up my attack against Karelia, however as compensation shouldn’t I be allowed 1 free sub next placement?
    Are there any rules governing this kind of problem?

• Official Q&A

Yes, the AA50 sub rules are a bit muddled, but the FAQ helps immensely.

There are no official rules on undoing a mistake, so you’ll have to work that out with your opponent.  However, many on-line clubs have procedures for such situations.  Maybe one of their members will suggest something here.

By the way, this is the AA42 forum, so questions about AA50 are off-topic here.  Please post further AA50 questions in the appropriate forum.  Thanks.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m