• I understand what you’re saying, but I still disagree on having heavy tanks for the UK and USA. They simply did not see combat long enough to merit being used. They were not even a part of Allied tank strategy until very late in the war. The allies used medium tanks supported by tank destroyers, artillery, and air support. I understand the armchair general thing, but design and production of heavy tanks had very little to do with the generals on the ground. I mean if you’re going to make a Pershing, why not a B-29? They are cool vehicles but they are more Post-war than WW2 era. They both saw service for a year at most during the war. I don’t think were going to talk one another into changing our minds though, so I guess we’ll just have to agree to disagree.

• Yeah, I suppose so, especially as I think doing the B-29 isn’t a bad idea at all… (though perhaps it would be best reserved for a “tech unit”  I still sometimes use TT’s B-29’s for exactly that.)

Oh, one more thing: remember that A&A, being a strategic-level game, is actually MORE about procurement decisions than it is about tactics.  For tactical games, something like Memoir '44 or ToI is more appropriate (though admittedly, the battle-level A&A versions like D-Day and Battle of the Bulge are more tactical.)

• I think if FMG ever gets around to tech units, the heavy bomber should be a B29. Come to think of it, why isn’t heavy tank a tech? I don’t think any country entered the war with a true heavy tank. They were all developed mid to late war were they not? And I understand what you mean about procurement, as a huge part of AA is buying a deploying units. My bad on that one.

• I actually have made heavy tanks a tech in some of my experimental variants; then I just went ahead and gave the Germans automatic credit for it as a “national advantage”  (note that this game was set in 1942, after the Germans had already started fielding some Tigers and Panthers.)

• @Yoper:

US tac bomber should be a P-47 with high velocity aircraft rockets (HVAR) molded onto the wings.

UK tac bomber should be a Hawker Typhoon similarly decked out with wing rockets.

I like the typhoon idea but I think the US tac bomber should be a b-26 marauder.

@DrLarsen:

I actually have made heavy tanks a tech in some of my experimental variants; then I just went ahead and gave the Germans automatic credit for it as a “national advantage”  (note that this game was set in 1942, after the Germans had already started fielding some Tigers and Panthers.)

I like the idea of heavy tanks being a tech. I usually play with custom tech rules anyway so maybe I will add that in some how. What cost, attack, defense, and movement values do you give them? I’m thinking 8 IPC 4/4/1? (I would be using them in Global 40)

• Movement: I wouldn’t drop their movement to 1.  Heavies were generally slower than mediums of the same design-generation, but they’re still much faster than infantry… That’s with the exception of some early-war designs designated “Infantry tanks,” like say the Matilda.  Even there, the tanks’ sustained overland speed (think “strategic speed” as opposed to “tactical speed”) would probably justify a 2 movement.

Combat: 4/4 Is probably too strong.  I usually drop mediums back to the old MB values of 2/3 and give the heavies a 3/3.  If you leave mediums at a 3/3, you could increase one of the values to a four, but I wouldn’t do it for both.

• @FieldMarshalGames:

USA will have two tanks also.

who wont?

• Hey dadler: Here’s my latest table on how to maximize the number of useful units

|

| Unit                     
    Infantry                       
    Elite Infantry*         
    Light Tank
    Armored Infantry

Artillery                     
    Medium Tank                       
    Medium Tank Dest./ SP Gun

Heavy Artillery
    Heavy Tank
    Heavy Tank Dest./ SP Gun        | Attack

| Defense

| Move

| Cost

8 |

One of the virtues of this system is that it does provide room for a light tank!  Also, our chances of ever having both a heavy tank and a heavy tank destroyer seem remote at this point, but we can dream, can’t we?  Heck, we could even maybe put in a Medium-Heavy Tank (Panther ?) at 3/3/2/7 and a Super-Heavy Tank (Maus ?) at 4/4/2/10… But maybe that’s just crazy-talk…
      |

• @DrLarsen:

Hey dadler: Here’s my latest table on how to maximize the number of useful units

|

| Unit                     
    Infantry                       
    Elite Infantry*         
    Light Tank
    Armored Infantry

Artillery                     
    Medium Tank                       
    Medium Tank Dest./ SP Gun

Heavy Artillery
    Heavy Tank
    Heavy Tank Dest./ SP Gun        | Attack

| Defense

| Move

| Cost

8 |

One of the virtues of this system is that it does provide room for a light tank!  Also, our chances of ever having both a heavy tank and a heavy tank destroyer seem remote at this point, but we can dream, can’t we?  Heck, we could even maybe put in a Medium-Heavy Tank (Panther ?) at 3/3/2/7 and a Super-Heavy Tank (Maus ?) at 4/4/2/10… But maybe that’s just crazy-talk…

Very cool. Thanks for the ideas. I would use this table but I would make things like Elite infantry and all the heavy stuff dependent upon unlocking them via tech. Do you have anything like this for air and naval units? |

• i really would like to see the  M18 and the Pershing as the U.S. tanks

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m