• So I thought I’d share the game we played last night with you fine folks.

My friend Rick and I tag-teamed as Japan against 3 allied players and before we started we agreed on a few house rules.

1. We gave India a fully-loaded carrier off Malaya to protect it’s battleship and transports, ferry US/ANZAC fighters over from Queensland, and generally dissuade the J1.
    2. We said that as soon as Japan declares war, the US gets it’s 40 IPC bonus to spend that turn.
    3. We put one extra infantry in every Chinese territory to make them stronger.

It was actually a really good game… India was still going down by the time we had to go, but it wasn’t near as easy for Japan to grab it.  The US fleet was actually in a really good position in the Carolines to defend against any attack and threaten virtually every important territory.

SO do you think we went too far, or not far enough, or what?  Please do tell.

• @robbie358:

So I thought I’d share the game we played last night with you fine folks.

My friend Rick and I tag-teamed as Japan against 3 allied players and before we started we agreed on a few house rules.

1. We gave India a fully-loaded carrier off Malaya to protect it’s battleship and transports, ferry US/ANZAC fighters over from Queensland, and generally dissuade the J1.
    2. We said that as soon as Japan declares war, the US gets it’s 40 IPC bonus to spend that turn.

It was actually a really good game… India was still going down by the time we had to go, but it wasn’t near as easy for Japan to grab it.  The US fleet was actually in a really good position in the Carolines to defend against any attack and threaten virtually every important territory.

Very interesting setup. I think I’ll use your rules the next time I can play Pacific 1940 with my buddies. One of them is a very aggressive Japanese player (yes, he is Japanese and yes, he loves playing as Japan), so maybe this will dissuade him.

• @robbie358:

You made the game balanced congrats. Although, I just wonder how that will work combined with Europe 40?

• I’m guessing with the Russian threat to Manchuria plus several occupied Chinese territories, the game won’t need to be balanced. Japan will have to stay honest in guarding its territories and won’t be able to swing all its troops against India.

• @robbie358:

I think this makes the game allied-favored. You gave them 36 or 37 ipc’s off Malaya, 36 ipc’s in China, and 40 to the US. This is a 112 bid to the allies. I think this is too much

• @McMan:

I’m guessing with the Russian threat to Manchuria plus several occupied Chinese territories, the game won’t need to be balanced. Japan will have to stay honest in guarding its territories and won’t be able to swing all its troops against India.

That’s what I’m saying. The Soviets can’t resist taking Manchuria if it’s only guarded by a token force. Sure, the Japanese might push them back out, but a Soviet invasion of China would leave Japan in mortal danger in mainland Asia.

• @Dylan:

@robbie358:

You made the game balanced congrats. Although, I just wonder how that will work combined with Europe 40?

Kauf was able to do this with only 40 ipcs. Giving UK a Carrier makes them easily capture the DEI, and adding 1 inf to every territory in China makes Japan have to work even harder to wipe them out.

• @calvinhobbesliker:

@Dylan:

@robbie358:

Kauf was able to do this with only 40 ipcs. Giving UK a Carrier makes them easily capture the DEI, and adding 1 inf to every territory in China makes Japan have to work even harder to wipe them out.

Yeah, that sounds like way too much.

I’m actually going out to Dayton Ohio this Monday evening, and will be there until Wednesday evening, testing the “40 immediately” for two whole days!

Many a beer will meet their demise during that time as well.  :cry:

• I like your ideas robbie358, seems a much more balanced allied force. I had posted an alternate Chinese setup that would have distracted Japan for atleast one turn, thereby solving the J1 attack imbalance, but no seemed to like it  :oops:

• Personnally….like i do in 50th anniversary…i put an chinese infantry in evry territory…thats the base…ridiculous setup for the chinese…then i’ll maybe put the 40 ipc at the start of the us turn but im not sure about this…and for the carrier…i think its too much

• I think that the way we had it challenges Japan plenty and allows the Allies a fair shake.  Even if it tips the game in the Allies’ favor I think that I’d welcome the challenge.  But you guys are right we probably went too far… it EITHER the carrier or the Chinese infantry, not both.

• @Dylan:

Why does everyone assume that the setup for AAP40 will be the same as the AAG40 setup?  Has it been confirmed?  It might just as easily have a revised setup, considering the USSR Europe setup probably won’t mention the Pacific map soviet terratories.  In the early nation descriptions on the Harris boards ANZAC originally wasn’t even a player, which (to me) obviously meant a different setup with Britain taking over all of ANZAC territories.  And considering that AAE40 may start with a factory in the sliver of india, I’m curious if two factories in the south could be balanced with the addition of the USSR as a player in the area as well.

• @kcdzim:

@Dylan:

Why does everyone assume that the setup for AAP40 will be the same as the AAG40 setup?  Has it been confirmed?  It might just as easily have a revised setup, considering the USSR Europe setup probably won’t mention the Pacific map soviet terratories.   In the early nation descriptions on the Harris boards ANZAC originally wasn’t even a player, which (to me) obviously meant a different setup with Britain taking over all of ANZAC territories.  And considering that AAE40 may start with a factory in the sliver of india, I’m curious if two factories in the south could be balanced with the addition of the USSR as a player in the area as well.

Well being a noob doesn’t help.

• My alt. Chinese set up was
    2inf in Siuyan
    3inf in Hopei
    2inf in Anhui
    3inf in Hunan
    1inf in Kewchiow
    4inf and 1ftr in Szechwan
    3inf in Yunan
    3inf in Kwangsi

The only major major change comes in giving Chinese control of the originally Japanese controled Kwangsi tt. All Japanese units remain in play but get moved up by 1tt. So what was in Kwangsi moves to Kiangsi, what was in Kiangsi moves to Kiangsu, what was in Kiangsu moves to shangdong. This dosnt effect Japanese strenght and they can still use their overwhelming air power to advance, pretty much, at will in China. What it dose is give China one full turn to collect its NO and makes Japan a bit more wary about striking south on J1.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m