• 2007 AAR League

Quijote-

The problem with your strategy is that you assume the US is going for Naval Superiority in order to destroy the Japanese fleet.  The US need only build a fleet strong enough to deter a direct attack by Japan while they move to secure the IPC rich Islands in the South Pacific.  Remember fleets are much stronger on defense.  Without additional naval builds by Japan, a Japanese attack on the US fleet will result in Heavy losses.  The US can afford to rebuild, Japan can’t.  It also ignores the UK Indian Ocean and Australian fleets, and all the ground forces the allies have in Asia.

• Yeah, yeah, KJF is very scary…  :roll:

Ok, so the US doesn’t have to build a fleet strong enough to take out the jap fleet. Then why would Japan bother to bolster their fleet? US takes some islands, so what? What stops Japan from taking the islands back as the US hops around? Ok, so they pop an IC. What now, 4 units a turn? Scary.

Meanwhile Germany should have cut off any allied supplies to Russia using the atlantic. Japan will be able to prevent any reinforcements through the pacific. That means Russia is left alone trading territories with Germany and Japan both while Germany gathers strength for the final blow.

Any great strat always come with a drawback.

• @Sankt:

Yeah, yeah, KJF is very scary…  :roll:

Ok, so the US doesn’t have to build a fleet strong enough to take out the jap fleet. Then why would Japan bother to bolster their fleet? US takes some islands, so what? What stops Japan from taking the islands back as the US hops around? Ok, so they pop an IC. What now, 4 units a turn? Scary.

Meanwhile Germany should have cut off any allied supplies to Russia using the atlantic. Japan will be able to prevent any reinforcements through the pacific. That means Russia is left alone trading territories with Germany and Japan both while Germany gathers strength for the final blow.

What makes you think USSR is left alone?

UK still helps through Norway. UK can have an India complex, and USSR/UK can gain mainland manchuria/FIC income.

DEI, Borneo and Phils = 11 IPC
    Mainland = 9

Japan cannot just easily afford to lose those islands and maintain an attack on Russia.

Squirecam

• 2007 AAR League

@Sankt:

Yeah, yeah, KJF is very scary…  :roll:

So now you advocate a third IC, that’s a lot of ducats on industrial capacity, where are your fighting forces?  In order for Japan to concentrate on a push towards Moscow, their rear areas must be secure, if they have to battle in the pacific they can’t concentrate their forces in Asia.  Remember, Japan MUST expand in Asia to grow their Income, they can’t if they’re bogged down in the Pacific.  The bulk of Russian income is far from the Japanese front lines, if Japan can’t pressure Russia early on Germany is doomed.

• @squirecam:

What makes you think USSR is left alone?

UK still helps through Norway. UK can have an India complex, and USSR/UK can gain mainland manchuria/FIC income.

DEI, Borneo and Phils = 11 IPC
    Mainland = 9

Japan cannot just easily afford to lose those islands and maintain an attack on Russia.

Squirecam

You’re doing something wrong if Japan is down 9 on mainland and 11 on islands. With an indian complex UK will not be sending troops through norway, landing there but not sending anything past. If you add russian forces to the assault then certainly Japan will have a tough time but so will Russia when Germany comes knocking.

How many have you actually been successful with a KJF strategy? Try not to count times against poorly skilled opponents or the times you got hot dice.

• @jsp4563:

So now you advocate a third IC, that’s a lot of ducats on industrial capacity, where are your fighting forces?  In order for Japan to concentrate on a push towards Moscow, their rear areas must be secure, if they have to battle in the pacific they can’t concentrate their forces in Asia.  Remember, Japan MUST expand in Asia to grow their Income, they can’t if they’re bogged down in the Pacific.  The bulk of Russian income is far from the Japanese front lines, if Japan can’t pressure Russia early on Germany is doomed.

If faced with a KJF I certainly wouldn’t buy 3 ICs, what gave you that idea? I advocate 1 IC regardless and more eventually as income allows(which probably means never in a KJF).

I disagree with Germany being doomed if Japan doesn’t make an early push. In a KJF Germany will almost certainly control all of Africa and likely block allied landings in Europe. Japan can settle for holding their original territories and trading the adjacent ones. Most likely India will fall and the russian frontline will be at yakut. Trading sinkiang/china. That’s down 12 and up 8-10. Not counting the possibility to trade islands.

• @Sankt:

How many have you actually been successful with a KJF strategy? Try not to count times against poorly skilled opponents or the times you got hot dice.

Hmmm… many allied players make the decision to GO KJF only when Japan have poor dice or the allies have the hot hand.

My contention is it’s way easier for the allies to contain Germany early and then spill over into stopping Japan when she gets close enough to Moscow.

KJF can be a very effective alied strategy, but to do it properly, IMHO you need to position yourself correctly with Russia on turn 1, and often this can show your hand to the axis player (Read Germany reacts properly), rendering this as a less optimal allied strategy.

• @axis_roll:

KJF can be a very effective alied strategy, but to do it properly, IMHO you need to position yourself correctly with Russia on turn 1, and often this can show your hand to the axis player (Read Germany reacts properly), rendering this as a less optimal allied strategy.

I agree with KJF being a conditional strategy that can work. But the thing is that if you go for it you need to commit whole-heartedly, anything less is just assigning resources to a sub-optimal area. If you allow Germany to grow and notice that your KJF is failing by good counters or poor dice it’s irreversible. Usually poor Japan dice is a gift for the allies to succeed with the KGF, why risk the advantage for a KJF?

I’ve found I quite often attack a juicy Bury(1-6 inf with small/no chance to counter) rather than take out the pearl fleet. I’m still waiting for someone to exploit that with a KJF. Nix had a go recently but he went for the naval superiority as well. On the other hand CC sent the ships to the atlantic and that became a bigger problem for me than having them sail around in the pacific.

• @axis_roll:

@Sankt:

Hmmm… many allied players make the decision to GO KJF only when Japan have poor dice or the allies have the hot hand.

My contention is it’s way easier for the allies to contain Germany early and then spill over into stopping Japan when she gets close enough to Moscow.

To ST: I have been successful at KJF for quite a while. And against skilled tournament opponents.

But AR is certainly correct, IMHO. For the most effective KJF, you need to start and plan USSR 1. Because of this, you will perform certain moves, and not do others. The simplest change is no UKR attack (You need those tanks). But there are others. USSR position on USSR1 is key.

Yes, this gives Germany a clue as to what you are doing. But while you can KJF after Germany has gone, you have lost the ability to take advantage of early Japanese mainland weaknesses by waiting with USSR troops.

What I dont agree with is that it is “less optimal”. Certainly, given tournament conditions, KJF is valuable, but IMHO it is effective in time limited games or to 10-12 VC games.

[What you would like to do is Give USSR/UK the chance for breakthrough, either Manchuria or FIC income. Of course, should USSR take FIC, UK can roll into Kwang behind it.]

As to an IC, off of 30 IPC, UK can spend 11 IPC in India (2 inf/tank) and still have 18-19 IPC to move units through Norway. (3Inf, art, arm).

Squirecam

• @Sankt:

I’ve found I quite often attack a juicy Bury(1-6 inf with small/no chance to counter) rather than take out the pearl fleet. I’m still waiting for someone to exploit that with a KJF. Nix had a go recently but he went for the naval superiority as well. On the other hand CC sent the ships to the atlantic and that became a bigger problem for me than having them sail around in the pacific.

Is this a Bury with Inf only, or with a fighter for protection?

Assume 6 Inf + Fighter is there. You attack it?

Squirecam

• Octopus had been a fan of the 2 IC J1 build when he first joined here.  He later revised that to 1 IC on J1 after playing a few folks here.

He viewed 2 IC’s as “sub-optimal” after seeing potnetial counters.

• @squirecam:

Is this a Bury with Inf only, or with a fighter for protection?

Assume 6 Inf + Fighter is there. You attack it?

Yes, inf only. With a fighter I’d probably skip it, unless the Kwang trn is still around. But a fig there means there was 1 fig less participating in combat elsewhere. I suppose no Egypt counter giving Germany early access to Africa and a possibility to take India or cut off russian supplies or simply take caucasus.

Don’t forget the bid, say 2 inf ukraine. Any units in cauc or w.russia can be taken out on G1, especially if units are on their way east.

• Some pretty wild arguments out there:

• Someone said you need 12-14 units for a number of turn to make a push on Moscow. Does that mean Japan should capitulate straight away? Assuming a mix of inf and arm, 12 units cost 48 IPCs… which Japan will not have any time soon.

• Someone said Allies will have the entire initial US and UK fleets, plus 2 turns of US naval builds, at the Solomons by turn 3. There is NO WAY I’m letting both the initial UK and initial US Pearl Harbour fleet survive! Even playing defensively with Japan at sea, and not buying new naval units, one of the two initial fleets can be taken out with minimal losses.

I’ll try to sum up what was said:

I initally said 2 ICs on turn 1 is a good strat against both a KGF and a KJF. From what I heard, I understand that:

• Against a KGF, having 2 ICs in Asia as early as possible is fabulous. It allows you to pump out 6 arm per turn, plus use your initial trns (plus maybe one new one) to shuttle 4-6 inf/art.

• Against a KJF, my feeling is that it’s also very promising. It allows you to make a serious stand and at least hold your possessions in Asia. If you are being pressured hard on the mainland, you can use the ICs to produce inf only, which leaves you with at least 15 IPCs per turn to spend on navy. And you don’t need trns to defend Asia, meaning you can use them as cannon fodder, and more importantly, you don;t have to split your navy or move it to awkward places to guard your trns bringing troops to Asia.

All in all, I have still not heard a valid argument against buying 2 ICs on Japan’s turn.  :-D

• @Quijote:

All in all, I have still not heard a valid argument against buying 2 ICs on Japan’s turn.  :-D

Then try this one…

If you buy 2 IC’s on J1…

You will only be able to land 2 units to Asia on J1, and 2 more units via TRN on J2.  That leaves you with only the units that survived your J1 attacks to secure your IC’s.  If Russia staged to Bury, that means you ARE losing Manch on R2.  Russia may not hold it, but you WILL lose it.  And UK can stage so as to take FIC on UK2.  Again, they may not hold it, but they WILL take it.

Now, that means at least one of your J1 IC’s has fallen to the enemy.  So you cannot build there in J2.  Even if you liberate it, you can’t build there until J3.  And since you lack TRN’s, your available forces to liberate it are much reduced… you are going to have to pull forces out of China to liberate it.  Meaning USA/USSR can drive back into China and liberate THAT for a turn.

If you build TWO IC’s on J1, you are going to spend 2-3 turns just trying to get where you can build at both of them, and preventign the Allies from building there.  Meanwhile, while you have your AF, etc. tied up providing punch for your VERY small number of mainland units as they try to secure the new IC’s, the US and UK can also play havoc with your fleet.  They can;t kill it, not without investing in Navy, but they can to a lot of damage to it, or force you to retreat to SZ60/61, and possibly get a TRN/Support Ship force loose in the South Pacific to further trash Japan’s income by island hoping.

There, is THAT a good enough reason fo you?

• Now THAT is finally a valid point. I admit that if UK and USSR move agressively on turn 1, the ICs may not be defendable.

Thus, the caveat to this strategy is: It will not be viable unless you can defend both ICs. But since you won’t actually build them until AFTER both the USSR and UK have made their moves, Japan can adjust.

If the UK destroys the Japanese trn in sz 59 and reinforces India, AND USSR stages 6 inf in Bury, and/or moves an arm/ftr into range, then buying 2 ICs is definitely not a good idea.

If, however, only one of the above happens, then you should be able to reinforce the IC that is in danger of being taken, and set yourself up for a succesful Asian campaign from J2 on.

• @Quijote:

Now THAT is finally a valid point. I admit that if UK and USSR move agressively on turn 1, the ICs may not be defendable.

Thus, the caveat to this strategy is: It will not be viable unless you can defend both ICs. But since you won’t actually build them until AFTER both the USSR and UK have made their moves, Japan can adjust.

If the UK destroys the Japanese trn in sz 59 and reinforces India, AND USSR stages 6 inf in Bury, and/or moves an arm/ftr into range, then buying 2 ICs is definitely not a good idea.

If, however, only one of the above happens, then you should be able to reinforce the IC that is in danger of being taken, and set yourself up for a succesful Asian campaign from J2 on.

You just contradicted yourself.

BEFORE you said against a KJF, two ICs was still good.

Is sounds like you are you reversing your opinion… are you?

If that’s the case, then the two IC buy is a conditional good buy, right?
    I can agree against a KGF move, it might be a good move.

I contend 1 IC J1 is enough… get some more transorts to go get those inf from your islands, for expansion purposes (read Australia, new zealand, Africa?  even America pressure).  Another IC won’t accomplish these key aspects to allow maximum Japanese expansion.

• If the initial USSR and UK moves I described form part of a KJF, then yes, I accept that 2 ICs is not a good strategy.

In all other scenarios, I think it would work fine.

• @squirecam:

@axis_roll:

What I dont agree with is that it is “less optimal”. Certainly, given tournament conditions, KJF is valuable, but IMHO it is effective in time limited games or to 10-12 VC games.

Squirecam

I think you’ve missed my point, I said if Germany makes the appropriate counter moves to an initial KJF Russia 1 move, then KJF is less optimal.

I didn’t say KJF is generally less optimal.

• @axis_roll:

@squirecam:

@axis_roll:

Squirecam

I think you’ve missed my point, I said if Germany makes the appropriate counter moves to an initial KJF Russia 1 move, then KJF is less optimal.

I agree with this.

Squirecam

I think it is very possible to “disguise” a KJF all the way up until US 1.

Infact, I now use pretty much the same opening for the Allies (R1 and UK1) then decide on US 1 which route I want to take.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m