• Can anyone

1- explain in detail….

2- list and link me to…

[or]

3- direct me to a thread containing….

All Possible Options for playing A&A (any) whether it be live, PBEM, computer programs, games, tournaments, ETC.

Any inclusive info on preferences, supplies, durations of gameplay, reccomendations, clubs, costs, ETC. would be appreciated

i am interested in raising my gameplay from 0 games a month to about 2-3 games a month.  :wink: :wink:

:-D TY  :-D

• Is that it everyone?

PBEM and Forum???

Which is better?

Which is quicker?

Which do you like and why?

• OK… Live/FTF (face to face) Tournaments like GenCon seem to ahve 3 hour time limits.  (based on what others have previously psoted here)

Our onsite PBF (Play by Forum) games run 3-4 weeks per game.

Beyond that, there are no hard and fast rules that I know of regarding game length in ANY forum.  But most Tournment style games DO have time limits, just for practical logistics purposes.

• You can meet up on mIRC, or set up a preset time to play TripleA online live.

Trick is, some people can’t host because of routers or firewalls.  (I can’t host TripleA; I can join and play, though).

But if you can host a game, and you can find out your IP address, that’s what I’d do.

• o yeah . . .

There are a lot of funny rules out there.

If you play Out of the Box rules, you still should acquaint yourself with the OFFICIAL FAQs.

If you play in tournaments, you will probably already be familiar with Larry Harris Tournament Rules.  Which I feel are perfectly well and good, but still unofficial as far as Hasbro/WotC/Avalon Hill is concerned.

Cousin Joe has “Enhanced” Axis and Allies, which fixes unit costs for balance.

Some tournaments place special values on territories.  Yoper would know more about that; check out the smoreyswamp site.

If you play online, you should familiarize yourself with Larry Harris Tournament Rules, the bidding system (open and blind), and the various programs (MapView, I think some others).

Personally, I play OOB/FAQ with no NAs (because NAs are considered optional) on TripleA.

I haven’t found any face to face opponents in the area, but I figure there are plenty of people in New York City, I’ll probably find somebody eventually.

• Find and download triplea_0_8_2_1

E-mail me when you’ve successfully got it going at rodentstew@gmail.com if you want to play.

There’s a dice program included, and it’s a nice setup with alot of game variants. The only problem is that you can’t customize the board. You can bid and make some minor rules alterations however.

• 88 – thanks, that is exactly something i am looking for.

Is this what people use to play each other here?

Can I play anyone who downloads it, or do both computers have to be networked?

Can you alter rules, adjust AI difficulties, include bids and/or NA’s?

Thanks again

• Anyone who has the platform can e-mail files back and forth to each other. I’m good friends with the people I play with, so we don’t bother e-mailing dice results after each roll. We take our turn, save it in a recognizable file name, and e-mail it back as an attachment. The person then takes their turn; repeat process. We trust the other person is being honest and not rolling each battle until it comes out the way they want it. Saves alot of e-mails.

I’ve never played by e-mail with others, so I don’t know what platform is being used by most people. One guy I play against regularly is involved in tournament play at Flames of Europe- they use a completely different platform- you manually set the board every turn. The one I told you about is a little more user friendly according to him.

AI difficulties are always easy. You can include bids, LL, technology, and a few other options.

• @88:

Anyone who has the platform can e-mail files back and forth to each other. I’m good friends with the people I play with, so we don’t bother e-mailing dice results after each roll. We take our turn, save it in a recognizable file name, and e-mail it back as an attachment. The person then takes their turn; repeat process. We trust the other person is being honest and not rolling each battle until it comes out the way they want it. Saves alot of e-mails.

I’ve never played by e-mail with others, so I don’t know what platform is being used by most people. One guy I play against regularly is involved in tournament play at Flames of Europe- they use a completely different platform- you manually set the board every turn. The one I told you about is a little more user friendly according to him.

AI difficulties are always easy. You can include bids, LL, technology, and a few other options.

its ff time, get your priorities straight :-D

• Good to see you here again jetfan. I tried to send you the file to play some A&A but my server wouldn’t allow it through- but I bet you can google it and download it yourself. Once you do, let’s play.

And man, I can juggle A&A, football season, and a 13 month old whirlwind of a daughter. Or die trying.

• 88 -

Completely understandable to sidestep the multitude of emails, but……

Doesn’t the game require both competitors to be present(live) for decisions like:

1- Which casualties to dismiss first
    2- Which countries casualties are dismissed first in multi-nationally occupied territories
    3- anyhting else that i would be overlooking

also,
    I don’t think i understand the principals of how two people play this game.
    -How do both players see the same gameboard?
    -What information is emailed, and in what form?

Excuse the barrage of questions, i’m just having a hard time putting it all together.

• Normally you know which casualties are going first (like Infantry before Armor), but if there is a questionable situation you just ask your opponent which of his units goes first (email).
    Both players see the same gameboard because:
    You open a new game and play as the Allies (assuming no bid).
    You make your Russia turn and save the game.
    You attach the file with the saved game to an email and send it to  your opponent.
    He does his German move, saves and sends the new save back to you,……

• What is preventing this program from developing the technology to simply allow two players to simultaneously play from their homes?

I would figure the hard part is already done with the layout, programming and graphics.

The fact of the matter is that having a computer program as opposed to live play really cuts down on the time it takes to finish a game.
    ie no set up, fumbling of pieces, searching for chips, etc.

PS ––> Thanks to everybody for their input on this subject

PPS --> Can’t the designers of the program make the computer any smarter?

• You can play live with TripleA, provided one party has a router and admin access to adjust port forwarding.

• Yeah, I CAN write a good AI program.  Or at least, if not GOOD,  not bad.

But even writing the algorithm would take a whole chunk of time.  Writing the code, debugging it . . . another chunk.

Time = money.

I have no problem with the wildest requests (“I want Alaskan king crab straight from Alaska, and I want it in three hours!”) . . . but without allocated resources and/or manpower, it’s no go.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m