• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

If Japan and Germany are ready to hit Moscow, and Japan happens to have a Transport/Infantry in S. Africa in range of Brazil, then it’s an infantry/transport i don’t need for my military objective (taking moscow being the objective.)  So in that case, I’ll invade Brazil from SZ 22 which normally results in the transport living but the infantry dieing.

But only because SZ 22 is usually out of range of America.  Not always, but usually.

• Thank you Dan.

4 turns of movement, several Capital ships, possibly some FIGs, a TRN, and ground units tied up in a fools errand to Brazil…

Are there better ways to use those forces?
    DAMN SKIPPY!

1.  A BB is better used taking UK islands, or supporting in the middle East or Africa
    2.  FIGs are better off ANYWHERE else for Japan
    3.  TRNs, even “extra” ones, are better off being used to augment/extend the range of the Japan Shuck, increasing the flow rate to the middle east, Africa, or taking UK territory in the Pacific.  Hell I think they are better used taking Midway than spending 4 turns heading for Brazil (killing a US unit, preventing Midway from being used for AF staging…)
    4.  Land units…  Japan needs every unit it can get in Asia.  If some of them arrive via NZ, Australia, Madagascar so be it.  but they still ARRIVE.  INF sent to Brazil is NEVER coming back.
    5.  AC is better off being used for fleet defense, or perhaps sent into the med to anchor Germany’s southern defenses.

Are you referring to my idea of sending the entire Japanese fleet to the Atlantic?  If so, we’re talking well after Africa is 100% secured and all English islands and Hawaii has been captured.

Here I’m referring to a solitary Transport and Infantry raiding Brazil to get America to divert forces away from Europe much akin to your sanctioned attack on Alaska.

• Not a viable mid-game move.

USA will have, almost certainly, an AC w/ FIGs defending their SZ12 fleet.

A lone TRN dies before it ever gets within range, and without cost to the USA fleet or interruption of the shuck.

• @Cmdr:

Are you referring to my idea of sending the entire Japanese fleet to the Atlantic?  If so, we’re talking well after Africa is 100% secured and all English islands and Hawaii has been captured.

Here I’m referring to a solitary Transport and Infantry raiding Brazil to get America to divert forces away from Europe much akin to your sanctioned attack on Alaska.

how long to your games last 50 rds ?!! If you can do that much with Japan you should stop buying more than 6 trns( AT THE VERY MOST i personally like 5 trns) and start pushing towards Moscow.

I like to have 6 transports with Japan, maybe 7 depending.  I’ve even gone up to 8 so I can do a double shuck from Japan down.

Anyway, it’s an end game move, Switch.  Object is to pull Americans away for a round so you can get that last round unimpeded and increase your already winning odds to account for a bad throw of the dice.

It doesn’t take 50 rounds, it takes about 10-12.  Yea, America might have a fleet in SZ 12, but to be honest, most times i see the American fleet up in SZ 5 or 4 with a smaller fleet in SZ 8.

• while u have 2 more trns, aviable than what i like. so thats double the number so takes me twice as slow. but moscow falls quicker when u don’t buy a bazillion trns.

4 to get off Japan, 4 to land in Africa if I need to0.  Generally how it ends up.  Sometimes I only have 2 to land in Africa.  Sometimes I have 6 extra.  Kinda depends on teh game, ya know?

• A Japanese move towards Brazil and beyond is even nastier if Germany has a lot of airpower (say 8ftr 2bmb). That forces UK+US to spread defenses to keep fleet(s) alive and troop flow to Europe - so little naval offensive/deterrence remains against Japan.

Japan also adds a threat ‘inside’ the turn cycle (Germany-UK-Japan-US-Russia) so it gets very hard for Allies to always end with a ‘neat’ position, not exploitable by (one of) the next Axis power.

• @Cmdr:

Some interesting, but not personally attempted, strategies include a US IC on Brazil on Round 1 pumping out at least 2 units a round for America to send into Africa.

its my standard USA play :)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m