Submarines versus Carriers with Fighters

• Hello,

I have tried to answer by searching but I’m unable to find any solid answer. Please consider the following scenario:

A lone carrier with two fighters is attacked by my submarine. In the opening fire round my submarine hits and considering submarines can only hit sea units the carrier is sunk without the ability to fire back. What happens to the fighters? Are they now in the air or were they onboard the carrier as I fired and thus destroyed?

If they were in the air I then assume they’ll be able to fire back once but then what? Will they be able to move away and try to find a safe landing space as long as it’s within reach of 4 move points? When do they move in any case (what phase)?

Thanks for reading.

Regards,
    Vlad

• I also have an unrelated question.

If I capture for instance China as Japan and have already decided to build an IC at the start of that round, can I place the IC in China the same round I captured it?

• Official Q&A

Welcome, Vlad!

@VladTepes:

A lone carrier with two fighters is attacked by my submarine. In the opening fire round my submarine hits and considering submarines can only hit sea units the carrier is sunk without the ability to fire back. What happens to the fighters? Are they now in the air or were they onboard the carrier as I fired and thus destroyed?

If they were in the air I then assume they’ll be able to fire back once but then what? Will they be able to move away and try to find a safe landing space as long as it’s within reach of 4 move points? When do they move in any case (what phase)?

The fighters are in the air and will remain there until the battle is over, so they will get to fire back.  Immediately after the battle is over, they will be able to move one space to find a landing spot.  This territory or sea zone may not have been contested during the current turn.  If no landing space is available, they are lost at sea.

The above answer assumes that you’re using the box rules.  If you’re using LHTR (Larry Harris Tournament Rules), it’s a little different.  The fighter movement occurs after all combat is completed, but before the noncombat move phase begins, and the fighters may land in territories or sea zones that were contested (assuming you won).

@VladTepes:

If I capture for instance China as Japan and have already decided to build an IC at the start of that round, can I place the IC in China the same round I captured it?

No.  You can only place new ICs in territories that you have owned since the beginning of your turn.

• Yes, we’re using the box rules, I don’t know the LHTR rules and I don’t quite understand the details of your LHTR rule explanation here, but I guess I don’t need to.

Thank you very much for your answer :) Have a good day!

• Official Q&A

You’re welcome.

FYI - LHTR is a variant ruleset developed by Larry Harris (the game’s designer) and officials from tournaments and on-line clubs.  It fixes some rules and balance issues in the box rules, and it’s probably the most widely-played Revised variant.  Most of its concepts were integrated into the 50th Anniversary Edition rules.  If you’re interested in trying it, the rules can be found here.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m