• interesting, JamesG…

I’m always interested in some facts and figures…

• @Sankt:

@triforce:

I guess my question is why no or low luck. What crybaby came up with that?

LOL. Can I quote you on that?  :lol:

No problem.  Put it in your signature line.  8-)

• I’ll I’m saying is that I don’t have any trouble winning when I play the Axis.  In 2nd I did.  Thats my point.  I think bids are silly, and I think that Low No Luck is for whiners.

• @triforce:

I’ll I’m saying is that I don’t have any trouble winning when I play the Axis.  In 2nd I did.  Thats my point.  I think bids are silly, and I think that Low No Luck is for whiners.

No, I think it is for people who like chess more than they like A&A® and hope to get something in between!

• @triforce:

I’ll I’m saying is that I don’t have any trouble winning when I play the Axis.  In 2nd I did.  Thats my point.  I think bids are silly, and I think that Low No Luck is for whiners.

Bids are silly?  I guess most people who play the game at a high level or tournamant levels are silly then.

And there isn’t much to whine about in Low Luck.  If you lose in low luck, its most likely due to your bad strategy.  In real dice, you could lose solely based on a bad set of dice.  From what I’ve seen, some real dice players are much bigger whiners than low luck players.  No names, but I’ve seen some of the real dice proponents on this board whine like crazy when they got a set of dice only slightly below average.

• I nearly broke my hand punching a wall after a particularly nasty set of dice cost me Russia in A&AE. Of course, alot of beer was involved. I learned my lesson and I’m much more calm these days…

Anyhow, just backing up your point that throwers can be whiney babies when it comes to bad rolls- I certainly used to be.

• I mean that only whiners demand to play low luck.  I have been known to complain about a bad roll but hey even at the touney level its still just a game.  As for bids, well, I think that if your going to play the underdog you should expect a harder time than if you pick the favorite.  Nothing is more satisfying than kicking butt as the Axis with no bid.

• Well, as one of the “whiners”… I did get a 1 in 10,000 string of bad dice that drew a LOT of attention a while back…

Also, I proved in my ONLY Low Luck game that I have ever played (and the only one I will ever play), that you can still get massively dice fracked in LL.  Happened on G1… about the worst possible time for it.

• It is my belief that a good strategy can overcome unfortunate odds.  A common rebuttle would be, “any one can get screwed in a single battle, especially a big battle.”

All too true, which is why I try to do everything I can to avoid large battles.

Do not let the game come down to dice, it gives your opponent odds they should not ordinarily have.

In conclusion, this is why I believe good players can overcome unfortunate dice.

Oh, I am also part of the school of thought that believes, “there are such things as bad days”

• We share the same belief, but still end up trying to avoid different things Octo. You try to avoid large battles, while I try to avoid the small battles for the same reason. I hate sending my bomber out to take 1 or 2 lonely transports. And I hate sending a BB to take a lonely destroyer. In both cases you are favorite with great odds, but if you should fail(and I do more than 50% of the time…) it can cost you the game.

• I don’t think you will find me engaging in combats like that, unless there are greater implications to the combat.

• bad rolls even out good ones. it’s part of the game.luck and chance play a part in real conflict. sometimes the dice are hot and sometimes they are cool.

• thank you flush!

• i played a game today on the board and lost because of dice. 15 dice a two or less and not one hit! but there where plenty of of “iffy” battles i won because of dice.

• Let me guess, when you lose it is because of bad dice, but when you win it is because of good strategy.

• Well, I am about to close out my last game ever of Classic.

That Low Luck crap has soured me on the game COMPLETLY…
    AA Immune Bombers…  Talk about an Allied advantage…

Forget bad dice (which STILL happen even in that LL crap… I had a battle where the Sim did not even recognize a possibility for enemy survival turn into defeat on G1).  In terms of Classic, I have had it.

Give me Revised.  Give me VARIABLES.  Give me more territories.  Give me more options for strats.  Give me something other than INF builds for Germany until it dies…

• I’m with you Switch.

I don’t get why people keep playing Classic when you can play Revised. It’s like whacking away at your typewriter when you could be using a pentium pro and a printer with frikkin laserbeams!

• 2007 AAR League

Well i like ADS dices, but as some people know i reserve the right to complain (withing reasons). And it´s not to say other people didn´t win over me by skill, becuse i had “bad luck”, becuse luck usually swings both ways.

The complaining part is kind of a ritual, where you can get your anger out, and then collect yourself and try to win the game (as i nearly did vs Mojo).

• I think one of the things that keeps people playing the original is the indignation that nothing could possibly be better than their all-time favorite game- one in which they’ve invested hundreds of hours playing and becoming proficient with. A&AR levelled the playing field, so all the A&A experts had to come up with new strats and grapple with not being the best anymore. I’ve looked at a couple of other sites- especially related to Classic, and as the new game was slowly being revealed a few years ago 98% of the people who played Classic sounded like they’d just been punched in the stomach. The great A&A temple was crumbling, and a false idol was being thrust upon them.

I played alot of Classic, starting as a young pup, and Revised is much better once you accept the differences.

Just an opinion.

• @triforce:

As for bids, well, I think that if your going to play the underdog you should expect a harder time than if you pick the favorite.  Nothing is more satisfying than kicking butt as the Axis with no bid.

Earlier you made it sound like you didn’t think a bid was needed to make the game even.  Now you paint the Axis as the underdog with no bid.  Which is it?

To summarize my view:
    The Axis CAN win with no bid, but will lose more often than win without a bid.  One of my goals for a “perfect game” would be to have the two sides be totally even in their chances of winning before the start of play.  So in that sense, AA:R with no bid is a good game.  AA:R with an axis bid is closer to a perfect game.

But if the need for an even 50/50 shot at winning is not important to you, if you like playing as an underdog from time to time, then I can see why you would be against a bid.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m