• Hmmm,  perhaps next turn it will become more clear.

Hint: The Axis destroyed 152 IPCs worth of Allied equipment this turn, while the Allies destroyed only 56 IPC’s worth.

• You can say what you want to about my friend lowell, but he is good. And most weeks brings something new to the table. And anymore me and he have a 50/50 win ratio against each other…. Which side doesn’t really matter cause were bidding…

So yeah i am talking about back in the day prolly 4 - 5months ago when we decided it was unbalanced in our games, and we decided this cause we were just getting to the point where everyone was acctually fairly good/we had seen each others moves developed our own, and were adapting to bad rolls incredibly well for our over all strategies… and we were all taking advantage of japan when ever the option was there… atleast for the first turn… I just love seeing japan with only one transport to start her first turn, when i am the allies…not so much when i am axis

I personally thought it was stacked for the axis the first 3 times i played… then again i had only played axis and won all three times…

Next 3 games i played allies won all three times. first game I took advantage of the Suez Canal as the brit’s and lined america up for a southern attack totally threw the new axis players for a loop, because they hadn’t seen it … and i had spent the game before dreading it possibly happening… cause the dice took advantage of me and i lost my battleship to the british destroyer in the med…

Anyway the more games we played the better we have gotten… first off this isn’t the old version… and russia is a formidable power even making 24 to start… As the allies you just gotta get out of the old school of thought, like 8 men is a standard purchase, in the first three games i played that is what the russians always did… I usually build atleast one tank a turn… I personally like the 1 ftr, 1 tnk, and 3 men as a starting purchase, but sometimes i just go 3 men & 3 tanks depends on who i am up against and what i think they are gonna do with the axis powers…
    @Octopus:

it just sounds like people just don’t know how to play Germany….and Japan for that matter.

And lastly i reckon your about right on that one… cause this was the turning point in our games… The last game where we didn’t see the imbalance in the game against the germans… we just saw the 9 tanks / 6 fighters on the european mainland and were all to happy to play germany casue it was stacked a helluva lot better than the older version of axis and allies, But you have a longer supply route to russia for both japan and germany… and a more formidable russia if played correctly… oh dear. all she really needs is just a little help on the germans back side and she can break them …

• My apologies Patton, I wasn’t trying to insult anyone, but now that I look at my text, I can see how it might offend.

I believe you are correct in your assessment of Germany in seeing how powerful it is.  Not only does Germany get an additional fighter to start, it is located in a place that cannot be taken on the first turn (as the Ukraine is in the old version of Axis).  To me, it is really starting with 2 extra fighters.  The additional monies for Germany (starting at 40) also means I don’t have to take Africa to be competitive with England and Russia.  Their monies are the exact same as the old game.  While you may see the road to Moscow as a long one, I see the road to Berlin for them as even longer.

Shift the thinking.  Do not think of Germany as the aggressor as most would think it would be with all the armor units.  Think of Germany as a Fortress that is under siege from the start.  Play Germany as many would think they would play Russia (on the defensive from beginning).  Absorb the impact, and when it is time to exhale, you take a step toward Russia.  This works for this game and the original Axis and Allies.

• @Octopus:

Not only does Germany get an additional fighter to start, it is located in a place that cannot be taken on the first turn (as the Ukraine is in the old version of Axis).  To me, it is really starting with 2 extra fighters.

How is it that ukraine cannot be taken on the first turn? You can believe it is a good or bad move, but attacking it with 3 inf, 1 art, 2 arm, 2 ftr’s yiels a roughly 90% chance of taking it, which is pretty substantial.

@Octopus:

This works for this game and the original Axis and Allies.

Yeah, you definitely got the original axis and allies licked. Definitely not imbalanced at all. In fact, I would go out on a limb and say that all experienced players are incorrect saying this, and are incredibly poor strategists.

• @Octopus:

Hmmm,  perhaps next turn it will become more clear.

Hint: The Axis destroyed 152 IPCs worth of Allied equipment this turn, while the Allies destroyed only 56 IPC’s worth.

Big deal, the allies start with 689 IPCs worth, you start with 620. The differential between what was destroyed was 96, the original differential is 69, so you have achieved a 30 IPCs edge. This is pretty standard…

• Sorry Fiendish, it seems I cannot impress you.  :-(

• The axis have been strenghtened in Revised to balance the game. Although its far from historical (russia produced 4 times as many tanks as the germans in 42) its necessary if the game should be playable

• Shift the thinking.  Do not think of Germany as the aggressor as most would think it would be with all the armor units.  Think of Germany as a Fortress that is under siege from the start.  Play Germany as many would think they would play Russia (on the defensive from beginning).  Absorb the impact, and when it is time to exhale, you take a step toward Russia.  This works for this game and the original Axis and Allies.

The problem is that you say one thing, then do another. You say play Germany like a Fortress, then you defend Western Europe with minimal forces.

• Uh yes.  I call France “the mouse trap” and I don’t see it as a problem at all.

Germany looks quite healthy to me.  I would like more income, but UK and Russia aren’t going quietly.  I believe they are inviting the USA to the party so Japan needs to get into the game quick.  If any country needs scolding, it is Japan.

The question is, do I bait the trap again, or do I shut it down?

• To be honest with you I never have a problem getting Japan into the game quick when I play.  As to the Axis being too strong, I found it nearly impossible to win with the axis in 2nd ed.  Granted I was not the most experianced player at the time and I own revised (which helps my ability), I think the sides are even now.  An Allied player that has any sense of strat can kick my Axis butt.

• Japan itself is not the problem, it is the current General (me).

Germany seems to be holding its own, for the moment.

I feel pretty good about the Axis in the 2nd Edition as well.  Switch and I are in the middle of Turn 6, I feel the tide is in his favor, but I am hoping the increased income for both Germany and Japan will kick in.  I don’t have enough fingers to count how many times Switch has rebuilt the US fleet.  Oh, and the largest stockpile of US troops are stuck on Wake.  I still haven’t figured out how Switch is going to use those against me.

They look….stuck.    :-D

• I’ve managed to get pretty good at playing Japan, but that is because I almost allways play Japan.  I think I’ve played one game as the allies.  My Skill with Japan has led be to be totaly inept at any other power however.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m