Dreadnoughts - National Advantage for Japan

• You can balance the 3-hits by allowing attacking, not defending subs hits against the Dreadnaughts to count double.

As always, the defender should pick where to allocate hits.

Realistically, the range of their guns scared away the Allied surface ships.

Superior US intel often prevented these Japanese monsters from finding their prey, so it would be safe to say that they were not effectively used in attack. Superior USN air power allowed us to pick the battles where we finally sunk them.

The Japs developed pellet spraying shot for their big guns, but I think the regular hull-mounted AA’s were better against air. I think they also had other specialized shore bombardment shells, but by then, they were defending rather than conducting beach landings.

• @Linkon:

You can balance the 3-hits by allowing attacking, not defending subs hits against the Dreadnaughts to count double.

Too complicated!

@Linkon:

Realistically, the range of their guns scared away the Allied surface ships.

Superior US intel often prevented these Japanese monsters from finding their prey, so it would be safe to say that they were not effectively used in attack. Superior USN air power allowed us to pick the battles where we finally sunk them.

If US have LRA and a lot of aircraft they may be able to avoid ANY major naval combats with any Japanese Dreadnoughts and US ships. The opening fire variant is not just realistic, but also balanced! So you actually says that you prefer the opening fire variant! I agree with you that it is the most realistic and at the same time it is balanced!!! :wink:

• id have to say no3 - the yamato was very big but not much more powerful that the america battleships - as to the american ships had just as many 18in gun as the yamato had 18.1in guns - and the yamato took some work to sink but not even nearly as much as the bismark - and the yamato was just as vulnerable to air attack as anything else - though in my game the Jap ships just have +1 defense, but i also have advantages to the lesser Jap ships and fighters

Plus there was only two Yamato class battleships ever built - but that can be changed by your strat

I vote 2… yeah it’s powerful but one would overwhelm alto of solo allied units and 3 would make them invincible… possibly attack at 5 and don’t add the defense roll…

GG

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

I vote 3 hit BBs and attack/defend at 5 but cost 54 IPCs. (You can repair damage at 18 IPCs per pip/dmg point)

• @Jennifer:

I vote 3 hit BBs and attack/defend at 5 but cost 54 IPCs. (You can repair damage at 18 IPCs per pip/dmg point)

I could not possibly think anyone would buy a BB to a cost of 54 IPCs, and why 54!? By the way it is too complicated! :-?

• My opinion is that it should be 2nd variant.

the 3rd one is simply too powerful and the first one is really good to.

2nd one isnt that strong it increases battleships power to 5 but its just on 1

so battleship from 4 hits on 6 tries now has 5 six from 6 tries

i dont say it doesnt worth anything but its very weak compering to the oders

• @Amon-Sul:

My opinion is that it should be 2nd variant.

the 3rd one is simply too powerful and the first one is really good to.

2nd one isnt that strong it increases battleships power to 5 but its just on 1

so battleship from 4 hits on 6 tries now has 5 six from 6 tries

i dont say it doesnt worth anything but its very weak compering to the oders

Well Amon-Sul, if you think all variants are weak, what other NAs do you compare it to? At the same time you say variant 3 is too powerful and mention that variant 1 i really good! Why not variant 1? Hmmm… confused! :-?

• Yamamoto never made it to fight against the American fleet. For a leviathan, it sure sunk quickly. Battleships were an idea whose time had passed by the time the war came. Airpower ruled in the Pacific.

• Why not have it so that they hit on a five on just the first round, whether attacking, defending, or doing shore bombardment? For plain atk/def, I don’t know about the whole first strike deal, but to tell the truth, I’m happy with the naval setup as is anyway.

• Variant 3 will make subs more or less useless against a Japanese fleet with at least one BB. So I think it is better to not mess up too much with the rules and vote for variant 2 or 1. In plain english, it is not worth fixing a rule that is supposed to fix another one. Things can get too complicated if one does! :wink:

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m