• What do you guys think about the German’s naval options on G1?
    In my first game the CP player moved all German naval assets into SZ9 to take out the home fleet.
    The next time around, playing as the CP, I split my navy sending two subs to take out the Canadian cruiser. This resulted in greater losses for me but it succeeded in destroying every British ship in the Atlantic, forcing the Allied player to go all in from India which made life very difficult for the Ottomans.

What do you think is the best move for the German navy on G1?

• With OOB rules, your second choice is optimal. With average luck you win both and eliminate the UK fleet forcing them to build ships right back to protect transports. It also delays getting British troops on the mainland.

Kim

• how about this, consolidate the GER fleet in sea zone 10 exept the 2 atlantic subs wich go after the canuck cruiser and trannie build 2 transports and a BB and now you can start schucking germans from berlin right to holland speeding up the german reinforcement considerably. I have found that the G1 assault on the UK fleet is to the detriment of the ottomans because if your first turn naval battle is to succesful the turks pay for it very dearly because you force the brits to buy all out with india, maybe starting a naval race with britain might just bleed enough IPc to give the turks some much needed breathing space?  :|

• I’m in the middle of a game right now where the Germans attacked the Brit cruiser off Canada with the two subs and ignored the Brit home fleet.  The effect was an arms race between Germany and Britain through round four (which is where we stand now).  The other effect is that Britain has split its income between India and Britain and has made no lasting territory gains in Ottoman lands because of it.  Germany spent too much money on naval (imo) and has suffered on the Western Front because of it.  Russia can still be forced into a revolution if they push all out with the pieces in place between AH, Germany, and the Ottomans.  I can’t say whether or not any of this is conclusive since my group, including myself, are all very new to this game, but ignoring the Brit home fleet could be a viable strat if you play your cards right…

• hmm interesting ryguy thanks for the report, me and my friends are playing on sunday, I will be Germany, i’m looking forward to walking this naval race path and see were it takes me.

• If you’re successful in removing the Allied fleet from the Atlantic, has anyone ever given thought to invading Britain?

• yes I have thought about a UK invasion actually but I fear france and Russia will become monsters if you do, but if you can figure out the logistics of using your transport fleet to send units alternating between the west and the east and play your cards right it might work (was going to try this on sunday but our groups best mind will be britain so I will wait untill I can pull it of against someone with less experience :evil:).

• An invasion of UK (London) would be next to impossible early IMO. If you clear the British fleet G1, then you also trap the 15 ground units that the English start the game with on the home islands. They will consolidate and create a fortress as soon as you start dropping more then 2-3 German transports, plus they also get a couple rounds to buy, and the French could probably add a twist to the mix as well. I think that Germany getting (even temporary) control of the Atlantic/North Sea/Chanel is a good move, and a couple German transports can be very helpful in distracting the English (and help advance German troops east or west). I don’t see the UK feeling threatened though unless they have sent most of their starting units to France (or Russia), and get caught with their pants down which would happen latter in games.

If you are playing with Larry’s new tourney rules w/Econ & Pol collapse then an invasion of England might be worth looking into (you could kinda control their income). OOB (w/FAQ) I think going for the UK early on would be too costly to the Germans in the short, or long run (need too many transports). I would think that an invasion of England would be more of an element of opportunity later in the game if things aren’t going well for the English.

• Don’t consider an invasion of the British Isles…not going to work.  Too many territories in the home island that the Brits can keep building upon in no time.  Plus you have mines to face.  The strategy doesn’t work.  My advice, having played Germany a bunch now, is to destroy the Russian battleship and use YOUR waters as opposed to Britain’s waters.  You can’t keep ferrying over troops to the western front with transports.  you’ll keep facing mine dice.  Better off using your navy (protected by 2 TT’s of mines) to ferry troops to the Russian front to make the Russies go down easier. 
    Also, destroying the British home fleet isn’t such a bad thing.  You’re right, it sort of leverages the Brits to building up India, becoming a pain for the Ottomans.  However, as I discussed in my post at the top of the forums, the Ottomans are more than a match for a 100% British blitz in the middle east.  Just keep retreating slowly, all the while piling up your forces.  Better to have one huge clash 7 rounds in to the game, rather than have 7 smaller skirmishes that the Ottomans can’t keep up with.  Fight in Constantinople…you will have accomplished taking the Brits out of the game almost completely, as they’re spending too much time chasing the Ottomans and not enough time where it matters…Europe and the Eastern front.

• @Jocher:

Don’t consider an invasion of the British Isles…not going to work.  Too many territories in the home island that the Brits can keep building upon in no time.  Plus you have mines to face.  The strategy doesn’t work.  My advice, having played Germany a bunch now, is to destroy the Russian battleship and use YOUR waters as opposed to Britain’s waters.  You can’t keep ferrying over troops to the western front with transports.  you’ll keep facing mine dice.  Better off using your navy (protected by 2 TT’s of mines) to ferry troops to the Russian front to make the Russies go down easier. 
    Also, destroying the British home fleet isn’t such a bad thing.  You’re right, it sort of leverages the Brits to building up India, becoming a pain for the Ottomans.  However, as I discussed in my post at the top of the forums, the Ottomans are more than a match for a 100% British blitz in the middle east.  Just keep retreating slowly, all the while piling up your forces.  Better to have one huge clash 7 rounds in to the game, rather than have 7 smaller skirmishes that the Ottomans can’t keep up with.  Fight in Constantinople…you will have accomplished taking the Brits out of the game almost completely, as they’re spending too much time chasing the Ottomans and not enough time where it matters…Europe and the Eastern front.

sounds like hitler luring the russians to berlin before beating them back to moscow and so winning world war 2…

not gonna happen; you can have your clash even later; but by round 9-10 constantinopel is in allied hands (unless the brits force that army up to sebastopol, which can be done if russia retreats from moscow to prevent RR)

• @Frontovik:

@Jocher:

Don’t consider an invasion of the British Isles…not going to work.�  Too many territories in the home island that the Brits can keep building upon in no time.�  Plus you have mines to face.�  The strategy doesn’t work.�  My advice, having played Germany a bunch now, is to destroy the Russian battleship and use YOUR waters as opposed to Britain’s waters.�  You can’t keep ferrying over troops to the western front with transports.�  you’ll keep facing mine dice.�  Better off using your navy (protected by 2 TT’s of mines) to ferry troops to the Russian front to make the Russies go down easier.� 
    Also, destroying the British home fleet isn’t such a bad thing.�  You’re right, it sort of leverages the Brits to building up India, becoming a pain for the Ottomans.�  However, as I discussed in my post at the top of the forums, the Ottomans are more than a match for a 100% British blitz in the middle east.�  Just keep retreating slowly, all the while piling up your forces.�  Better to have one huge clash 7 rounds in to the game, rather than have 7 smaller skirmishes that the Ottomans can’t keep up with.�  Fight in Constantinople…you will have accomplished taking the Brits out of the game almost completely, as they’re spending too much time chasing the Ottomans and not enough time where it matters…Europe and the Eastern front.

sounds like hitler luring the russians to berlin before beating them back to moscow and so winning world war 2…

not gonna happen; you can have your clash even later; but by round 9-10 constantinopel is in allied hands (unless the brits force that army up to sebastopol, which can be done if russia retreats from moscow to prevent RR)

Luring the Russians to Berlin?  This is a game bud.  Not real life.  So yes, the Germans could do what you are suggesting above and be successful sometimes and not successful other times, because we are playing a game.  Don’t confuse the two.  It’s silly that you are comparing a strategy in Axis and Allies to real history.

And yes, it is going to happen…I’ve already done it.  I might try another 10x only to fail 9x (or succeed), but the fact remains it is a viable strategy.  The money the Ottomans earn for their territories does not warrant a ‘stand your ground’…all that means is losing a lot of smaller skirmishes and having the territory taken from you anyhow.  I am not suggesting an immediate retreat.  I am suggesting that 4-5 turns in, when the Brits amass a large enough force to start taking Ottoman territory, that be the point where I suggest the Ottomans pull back some.  A Brit strategy to go all out in India means a good chance at conquering the Ottomans.  My suggestion is to pull back if the attacks are overwhelming and make your stand with a very large piled up Ottoman army in a territory closer to Constantinople.  Hopefully by then, Germany and Austria would have expanded because they haven’t had to fight the brits in Europe…only the weakened Russia ns and and the mighty French.  Austrians could, of course help the Ottomans if possible with reinforcements.

• @Jocher:

@Frontovik:

@Jocher:

Don’t consider an invasion of the British Isles…not going to work.��  Too many territories in the home island that the Brits can keep building upon in no time.��  Plus you have mines to face.��  The strategy doesn’t work.��  My advice, having played Germany a bunch now, is to destroy the Russian battleship and use YOUR waters as opposed to Britain’s waters.��  You can’t keep ferrying over troops to the western front with transports.��  you’ll keep facing mine dice.��  Better off using your navy (protected by 2 TT’s of mines) to ferry troops to the Russian front to make the Russies go down easier.�� 
    Also, destroying the British home fleet isn’t such a bad thing.��  You’re right, it sort of leverages the Brits to building up India, becoming a pain for the Ottomans.��  However, as I discussed in my post at the top of the forums, the Ottomans are more than a match for a 100% British blitz in the middle east.��  Just keep retreating slowly, all the while piling up your forces.��  Better to have one huge clash 7 rounds in to the game, rather than have 7 smaller skirmishes that the Ottomans can’t keep up with.��  Fight in Constantinople…you will have accomplished taking the Brits out of the game almost completely, as they’re spending too much time chasing the Ottomans and not enough time where it matters…Europe and the Eastern front.

Luring the Russians to Berlin?  This is a game bud.  Not real life.  So yes, the Germans could do what you are suggesting above and be successful sometimes and not successful other times, because we are playing a game.  Don’t confuse the two.  It’s silly that you are comparing a strategy in Axis and Allies to real history.

And yes, it is going to happen…I’ve already done it.  I might try another 10x only to fail 9x (or succeed), but the fact remains it is a viable strategy.  The money the Ottomans earn for their territories does not warrant a ‘stand your ground’…all that means is losing a lot of smaller skirmishes and having the territory taken from you anyhow.  I am not suggesting an immediate retreat.  I am suggesting that 4-5 turns in, when the Brits amass a large enough force to start taking Ottoman territory, that be the point where I suggest the Ottomans pull back some.  A Brit strategy to go all out in India means a good chance at conquering the Ottomans.  My suggestion is to pull back if the attacks are overwhelming and make your stand with a very large piled up Ottoman army in a territory closer to Constantinople.  Hopefully by then, Germany and Austria would have expanded because they haven’t had to fight the brits in Europe…only the weakened Russia ns and and the mighty French.  Austrians could, of course help the Ottomans if possible with reinforcements.

ok, now i understand; thanks. i use same strategy. but i’d add a tank to the force, for the small skirmishes that can’t be counterattacked. i think it saves a lot in a longer game. but face it, the ottomans will be overwhelmed and then the brits will start coming in the balkans.

and fun fact; india is as far away from vienna as berlin is from paris :p

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m