• not to mention, the US didnt go about the prewar phase very intelligently, basically telling saddam we are coming to find WMD’s, so if you have any, your in trouble. i wouldnt be surprised if he smuggled them out of the country.

Or more probably destroyed them.

• @TG:

not to mention, the US didnt go about the prewar phase very intelligently, basically telling saddam we are coming to find WMD’s, so if you have any, your in trouble. i wouldnt be surprised if he smuggled them out of the country.

Or more probably destroyed them.

So you do think that he had weapons? Maybe I’m preaching to the choire here, I know CC doesn’t think he did, but I can’t remember your position TG. :(

• Ummm… last time I checked, I supported this goddamn war and I still do.

• oops sorry, thought we were talking about gun control :)

• Settle down…I was just checking. :P

• @Deviant:Scripter:

Becuase a 5 minutes response time isn’t always your best defense against someone trying to harm your family. :(

@Deviant:Scripter:

Just as we try to stop crazy & dangerous people from acquiring guns.

Who else but crazy and dangerous people threaten mz family? If they don’t have guns, why do i have to have one? How do they threaten me when they don’t have guns?
    Why is a good solid door not enough for these five minutes?
    And of course: I can think of much better weapons to fight in non-open spaces where i have the advantage of knowing the terrain by heart….

• @F_alk:

If they don’t have guns, why do i have to have one?

If they don’t have guns, then you’re probably not going to need one either.

How do they threaten me when they don’t have guns?

If they’re crazy and dangerous, they’ll think of a way.

Why is a good solid door not enough for these five minutes?

It would be, if you could be sure they were going through the door.

And of course: I can think of much better weapons to fight in non-open spaces where i have the advantage of knowing the terrain by heart….

I’m sure you can. But the real question is, is there any reason for crazy and dangerous people to be attacking you and your family in the middle of the night? If there is, then wouldn’t you want to take every reasonable precaution?

• Exactly. and gun control will not stop gun crimes. it will probably lessen it, i agree, but if a criminal wants a gun, they will get it. illegally, and then you will not have one. think about it. im not saying your going to be attacked in your home or anything, but it could happen, and if a criminal is in your house, would you rather have a gun, or no weapon? if you use gun control totally, you will not have a weapon, but he might. instead, use it to make the background checks stronger and more effective to keep the wrong people from getting guns. if they still want one enough, they will get one illegally, but at least you could have a gun as well to level the playing field.

• @Grigoriy:

I’m sure you can. But the real question is, is there any reason for crazy and dangerous people to be attacking you and your family in the middle of the night? If there is, then wouldn’t you want to take every reasonable precaution?

Reason for crazy people…. doe they need reason?
    And of cause i would take every reasonable precautions. Guns are not reasonable.

• For those untrainned to use them, maybe. But I much feel safer with a gun in my home, having been a victim to house robbery.

• a gun is absolutely reasonable. if someone comes onto my property uninvited, break and enter my home, and threaten my or my familys lives, i would want to have a gun to get rid of them

• But would you not also feel safe with Police Armed with Assault weapons patrolling the streets aswell? i know i would, but then again if you are undesired i would not lol

@NatFedMike:

But would you not also feel safe with Police Armed with Assault weapons patrolling the streets aswell? i know i would, but then again if you are undesired i would not lol

hey mat, something to think over….the swiss have kept out of both WW2 and WW1 and have some of the world’s lowest crime and firearm accidents rates… yet for some reason they have a Assault Battle Rifle in nearly every home… :wink:

in contrast a military state has the same police patrolling the streets with Assault Battle Rifles… they though seem to have coups and mass murder on every turn(especially the “turn on” of CNN) :wink: …

• Everyone on this forum seem focussed on the frequent occurrance of home-break-ins where the family gets shot up all the time. If you could convince me that this is even a minor problem, then ok - i could see a greater need for firearms ownership by the general populace. At the same time, this is a rare occurrance outside of “hits” and gutless kids attacking old people for money (less than 1/year).
    Yes TG, knives and cars and fireworks kill people. I’ll submit this:
    Knives - the stabbings i’ve seen in the ER required very minor surgery. No one died, everyone walked away. The fact is, you have to be very aggressive, very close, and very determined in order to kill someone with a knife. I think that the odd time you hear of someone dying of 20-odd stab wounds is because it was so difficult to damage someone seriously in the first throw (yes, it’s possible . . . ). At the same time you may be very passive, very far away, and simply pull a trigger in order to kill someone with a gun. If the bullet is anywhere around the abdomen or chest - immediate surgery, and much much higher chances of serious complications and death. And you don’t even have to work very hard to cause this much trouble. A child can do it to an adult very easily. Ridiculous.
    As far as cars killing people - true, and far too often. I am all for banning drunk-drivers, limiting alcoholics from driving, and a series of other moves designed to limit the carnage. Fireworks - well, i don’t think that people not trained in their use should be permitted to use them either, but firecrackers and 8 year olds go together like pie and ice cream.
    As far as Switzerland and other countries go - it is inappropriate for American society to measure itself up against these.

• Everyone on this forum seem focussed on the frequent occurrance of home-break-ins where the family gets shot up all the time. If you could convince me that this is even a minor problem, then ok - i could see a greater need for firearms ownership by the general populace.

Not at all (at least not me) I dont say that everyone should have a gun, neither do I say everyone should be able to have a gun. Nor do I think that home break-ins and defending the family are the primary reasons to own a gun (as in someone breaking into your home, not using it to break into someone elses). I think that people should be able to own a gun if they so choose, providing they meet the requirements (such as a “clean” criminal record, primarily no violent crimes), are legally sane, at least 18 years old, etc. Im not trying to make guns available at the corner store, Im just trying to keep them from only being available in the trunk of some guys car. And while defending the family is one of my main arguments, Its not the only reason (people familiar with guns make better soldiers, and like it or not, having a better military is always a good thing), people familiar with guns are less likely to cause an accidental death (their own or someone elses) because they understand how to use it safely, and among other things, frankly, guns are cool :wink: .

Yes TG, knives and cars and fireworks kill people.

I said that, not TG

Knives - the stabbings i’ve seen in the ER required very minor surgery. No one died, everyone walked away.

Im glad no one died, but they could have. A knife is not a great weapon, but when someone is threatening you with a knife, thats not a very comforting thought. Its easier to get a knife away from someone without suffering any injury, but Id say the majority of people would be too frightened for themselves, or loved ones to act on that knowledge.

The fact is, you have to be very aggressive, very close, and very determined in order to kill someone with a knife.

Not necessarily. The average criminal yes, but there are always those criminals who are trained to use a knife lethally, and those guys are badass. More commonly though, it is relatively more work to kill someone with a knife, but you dont have to kill them, often the presence of the knife threatens the victims into inaction, so even if they sustain no injury, their home is burglarized, or whatever else the crime may be occurs.

I think that the odd time you hear of someone dying of 20-odd stab wounds is because it was so difficult to damage someone seriously in the first throw (yes, it’s possible . . . ).

Again, even if they dont die, they are still stabbed, thats an injury that could have been prevented if they had a gun. If a criminal threatens you with a knife, and you have a gun, whose going to back down?\

At the same time you may be very passive, very far away, and simply pull a trigger in order to kill someone with a gun. If the bullet is anywhere around the abdomen or chest - immediate surgery, and much much higher chances of serious complications and death. And you don’t even have to work very hard to cause this much trouble. A child can do it to an adult very easily. Ridiculous.

I dont know about actual statistics, but I would think the majority of people who commit crimes with guns are not serious criminals, and arent very smart. They are petty thugs most likely, and are probably almost shitting themselves as they try to rob you (weve all seen the type in movies), again, this is speculation. these people also probably have an itchy trigger finger, and will be very jumpy, and likely a poor shot. If you have a gun, and any skill, you could put him down before he becomes a serious threat. serious criminals (badass guys that are good at what they do) probably are more likely to have a knife, because they can be just as effective with it, and its not a gun for legal purposes. you could put them down as well. as for those with guns, you could save yourself there too, but in that case, its probably best to let them do their business unless they directly threaten you.
    On the same note, while they can kill you easier with a gun, same goes for you. You have a much better chance of immobilizing them with a gun than with a knife, bat, etc, or unarmed.

As far as cars killing people - true, and far too often. I am all for banning drunk-drivers, limiting alcoholics from driving, and a series of other moves designed to limit the carnage.

I agree with that as well, though I was just using it as an example, and if you want to continue that discussion, thats another thread.

Fireworks - well, i don’t think that people not trained in their use should be permitted to use them either, but firecrackers and 8 year olds go together like pie and ice cream.

Again, just an example showing how many things are dangerous.

As far as Switzerland and other countries go - it is inappropriate for American society to measure itself up against these.

and in my opinion, its innappropriate for a canadian to comment on, and try to dictate american policy and society.

To sum up, a gun is a dangerous weapon. Yes. So is a knife, so are some people, so is just about anything in the right hands, and used the right way. (My uncle could kill you easier with a knife than a gun, and he has plenty of em. luckily, hes not a criminal). I am not against taking efforts to lessen the violent use of guns, but fully disarming the public is not the way to go. IMO, if you take away a citizens right to bear arms (a Constitutional right) than I will take away your right to freedom of speech, or freedom from unlawful searches and seizures. It is along the same lines, and I personally have less problem with the right people owning guns than with the wrong people having the right to freedom of speech, or freedom from unlawful searches. And if you want to pursue that, please do so in another thread, because I will ignore it in this one.

• As far as Switzerland and other countries go - it is inappropriate for American society to measure itself up against these.

I don’t think what we’re trying to say is that each American household should have automatic weapon, but that a country without heavy gun-control laws does not equate into more inherent lawlessness and crime than a country with heavy gun-control laws. I think the problem lies with the society (ideology and psychology) themselves. Let’s look at Japan (with a no-gun policy) for example. They have much lower crime rates compared to America. Black and white, isn’t it? Yet, how come Japanese-Americans, with the same proximity to guns as other Americans, have homicide rates half that of Japan itself? Hmmm… :wink:

why not??? :wink:

• Not in the current state we are in. ;)

@TG:

Not in the current state we are in. ;)

ummm… the Swiss still exist

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m