Coolest aircraft made during WW2

• I’m a big fan of the Spitfire and Hurricane (although it wasn’t devoloped during the war). I also have great respect for such russian designs as IL-2s and Yaks.

• The P-38 Lighting looks the coolest to me anyway.

• Without a doubt the P-51 Mustang. So beautiful (yet deadly) in the skies that it was named the “Cadalic of the Skies.” Take one look at P-51Ds like “Big Beautiful Doll” and you’ll know why.

• Corsairs used in the pacific looked pretty cool

• the most effective aircraft used during the war would have to be the p51D. long range, and it was able to defeat any fw-190. the coolest battle ready aircraft would have to be the Me 163 komet.

p.s. the Gotha 229 was the father of the B2 bomber!

• Me-262 or Dornier 335.

• I would probably choose a Komet or Me-262, but their jet engine life was very short. Lots of crashes occured this way.

• The Komet was rocket-propelled not jet but yes it had a short endurance in the air. Its rocket engines were fueled by hydrogen-peroxide and water. It gave high performance but the fuel was highly unstable, which caused the plane to blow up on many occasions.

• don’t dis the 90 seconds of powered flight!

the great thing about the komet was that it killed more germans that allies! they used it wrong.

• Hahahaha… now I know that’s true! I think the Komet only shot down like 3 bombers (high estimate) and damaged a few others. Landing the sucker was a #&$% that often resulted in the deaths of many Axis airmen.

• Actually, 300 Germans died from the Komet and 12 bombers were shot down.

shot down by 2 Komet proto-types, 6 bombers
    shot down by infa-red “rockets”, 2 bombers
    Shooting down 12 total and skidding their way to many deadly landings … Priceless

• The Avro Landcaster Bomber (hell it could be operated by one person if needed)

• Actually I do stand corrected. My WWII mag says between 9 to 14 aircraft shot down. All that from 279 Komets? Not the most impressive combat record.

• Komets were great!!! 4 the allies…

• I think De Havilland’s Mosquito deserves some mention; the amazing twin engine wooden bomber with no armament. As fast as anything else in the skys at the time and incredibly versitale; it was developed into everthing from a night fighter into a reconnaissance plane.

• Delete this post -

[ This Message was edited by: TG Moses VI on 2002-03-24 19:36 ]

• I agree, the Mosquito was used for all sorts roles: night fighter, bomber, ground attack aircraft, photo reconnaissance plane, transport, and ship killer. Heck it even served as a trainer.

Never before have we had so little time in which to do so much

[ This Message was edited by: TG Moses VI on 2002-03-24 19:40 ]

• My 1st choice: Naval-refitted JU-87 “Stuka”

http://members.tripod.com/EFaust/aircraft.htm

I’m sorry, that is just so cooool…

2nd choice: P-40 “Warhawk”: no frills, just “chug-a-lug”–what can I say, I like the old clunkers! :grin:

3rd choice: Me 410 “Hornisse”. Brutal firepower, plus the forward-mounted engines make it look intimidating…

My picks…

Oh wait! Runner-up would be the Focke-Wulf 190–best Axis fighter of the war, hands-down…

Ozone27

[ This Message was edited by: Ozone27 on 2002-03-25 20:12 ]

• didn’t Hans Rudel use a Stuka with a 30mm cannon to kill tanks? He was a tank ace, and he even sunk a russian battleship…with a Stuka!

• Yes…twin 30mm cannons mounted on the wings. This was a common conversion later in the war for use against Armor on the Eastern Front. I think each cannon could only fire about 20 rounds apeice–'cuz that’s all the Stuka could carry!

Ozone27

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m