• Which army looked the coolest in your opinion? I would have to say the German Army of WW2, because in fact, their uniforms were designed by fashion designers! sure, their clothes looked warm, but you froze your balls off! but hell, leather is still cool!

personally i like the WW1 german helmet more than the ww2 one. it has those robotic bolts sticking out. I own one :smile: i named it kraut. bought it for 45 bucks i did… it looks far “cooler” than my spanish civil war helmet, which looks just like the third reich’s metal head gear.

so, do you guys have any favorite uniforms of your own?

• i think my fav is the German Falchjionhajer (sp)(paratroopers) they were the second group to adopt camo uniforms (after the SS)
    mabay somebody out there can answer this
    why was there no insignia on Russian enlisted uniformes for ww2 (this included NCOs)i’ve been trying to figure this out for a wile.

• '19 Moderator

This will sound very unoriginal but I think the Waffen SS field uniform is the best. I spent a couple years durring college in reenacting group, the 10th SS Frundsburg Division. I still use my smock to play paintball in. Although my reenactment friends would have a heart attack! The reversible camo patern is awsesome. I’ve worn it from desert to pine forest and blended in perfectly.

• I agree. The Waffen SS had by far the best uniforms and camo. I still own some replicated pea-dot camo that the Elite SS used in Operation Norwind (sp). Plus the German SS home uniforms were pretty classy, all black leather like someone mentioned before. I especially like the leather outfit worn by Erwin Rommel in North Africa.

Of course the 8th Air Force had some great leather jackets too, but that’s a not the army.

Never before have we had so little time in which to do so much

[ This Message was edited by: TG Moses VI on 2002-03-26 20:16 ]

• The Black SS uniforms, i think, looked cool.

The US marines in the Pacific had hardcore uniforms to.

Mesh helmet netting is always tight.

• Operation “norwind”? When was that, after the battle of the bulge, a small coutner attack?

yeah, the fallschirmjaeger had a cool uniform, helmet (and assault rifle :smile: ), but we can’t count out the germans in operation tyfun wearing rags, bed sheets, and anything that was white and warming!

the waffen SS had a modern looking uniform, i would have to agree that it is the coolest of ww2.

• Yes, Operation Norwind was a last German counterattack in Alsace launched it January. The battle resulted in the lost of 40,000 German and American casualties. If you want to check it try reading the book Six Days in January (or something like that).

• I would agree, the all black SS uniforms are the coolest. Low and behold, my quote is by an SS man…

• Yep, there’s nothing more than black leather and cap topped off with a Knights Cross. As for the quote who said that? A lot of SS didn’t have much honor like the killing of innocent civilians and what happened in those Concentration Camps.

• That’s why I like to believe if there is a God, he punishes people. “Loving God” my ass!

• All the SS shouldnt be confused with Himlers murdersquads.

• the SS were combat divtions and it was only the small group that killed civilions in russia and mostly Nazi officers that ran the death camps (no enlisted germans were in the polish camps at least, Ukrainin mecinaries)

• Himmler said the quote. I like the quote but I don’t like him.

• you don’t need to clarify that!

• '19 Moderator

There were three separate Organizational divisions within the SS
    1)Allgemeine (General)
    2)Totenkopfverbande (Deaths Head organization)
    3)Waffen (Fighting)

The first two are the ones that most people think of when you say SS. They wore the black uniforms and controlled the genocide programs. The Waffen SS were elite fighting units comprised of all volunteers who met high expectance standards. They received the best equipment and training. Many waffen SS units were units made entirely of foreign volunteers.

The reenactment unit I was in and the uniform in my closit are waffen SS. We even had an advisor who served in the unit we portrayed.

• So Un True!!
    the SS was origanily meant to be an all Arian army but as the war went on they started to allow non arian Germans and scandinavians into the SS never anything more
    most ethnic groups were bnned from the SS right through to the end.

oh ya and the U-boat crews got the best eqipment and food

I will not kill myself for that Bohemion Cpl.

• Field Marshal Friedrich Paulus (speeking of Hitler the day before his serender of the 6th army at Stallingrad)

[ This Message was edited by: mini_phreek on 2002-03-27 15:45 ]

• Wow they actually hold WWII reenactments in your neck of the woods. Being from California I never experienced anything like that except for mock “real war” paintball battles and of course the usual Civil was reenactments. Can you tell me anymore about it?

As for the sub comment, I’m not sure that the comment of the best food is correct. From what I’ve read, living conditions in U-boats were horrid and most sub crews were restricted to canned goods but I might be wrong on that.

• ya the limited suply space on the u-boats meant mosty army rations and non parishables but i meant on the bases they got the best food.
    if you want to see how life is like on a u-boat the movie “Das Boot” is a good reprasantation

• Das Booty

• '19 Moderator

Actually the best and biggest battle I participated in was an Arnham simulation, which was held at the “combat town” at Ft. Ord., which is in YOUR neck of the woods.

There were several hundred participants Mostly British Airborne and German SS, although I believe there were actually some people who dressed as members of the 1st Polish AB.

I’ll see if I can find some links for you.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m