Coolest aircraft made during WW2

• I would probably choose a Komet or Me-262, but their jet engine life was very short. Lots of crashes occured this way.

• The Komet was rocket-propelled not jet but yes it had a short endurance in the air. Its rocket engines were fueled by hydrogen-peroxide and water. It gave high performance but the fuel was highly unstable, which caused the plane to blow up on many occasions.

• don’t dis the 90 seconds of powered flight!

the great thing about the komet was that it killed more germans that allies! they used it wrong.

• Hahahaha… now I know that’s true! I think the Komet only shot down like 3 bombers (high estimate) and damaged a few others. Landing the sucker was a #&$% that often resulted in the deaths of many Axis airmen.

• Actually, 300 Germans died from the Komet and 12 bombers were shot down.

shot down by 2 Komet proto-types, 6 bombers
    shot down by infa-red “rockets”, 2 bombers
    Shooting down 12 total and skidding their way to many deadly landings … Priceless

• The Avro Landcaster Bomber (hell it could be operated by one person if needed)

• Actually I do stand corrected. My WWII mag says between 9 to 14 aircraft shot down. All that from 279 Komets? Not the most impressive combat record.

• Komets were great!!! 4 the allies…

• I think De Havilland’s Mosquito deserves some mention; the amazing twin engine wooden bomber with no armament. As fast as anything else in the skys at the time and incredibly versitale; it was developed into everthing from a night fighter into a reconnaissance plane.

• Delete this post -

[ This Message was edited by: TG Moses VI on 2002-03-24 19:36 ]

• I agree, the Mosquito was used for all sorts roles: night fighter, bomber, ground attack aircraft, photo reconnaissance plane, transport, and ship killer. Heck it even served as a trainer.

Never before have we had so little time in which to do so much

[ This Message was edited by: TG Moses VI on 2002-03-24 19:40 ]

• My 1st choice: Naval-refitted JU-87 “Stuka”

http://members.tripod.com/EFaust/aircraft.htm

I’m sorry, that is just so cooool…

2nd choice: P-40 “Warhawk”: no frills, just “chug-a-lug”–what can I say, I like the old clunkers! :grin:

3rd choice: Me 410 “Hornisse”. Brutal firepower, plus the forward-mounted engines make it look intimidating…

My picks…

Oh wait! Runner-up would be the Focke-Wulf 190–best Axis fighter of the war, hands-down…

Ozone27

[ This Message was edited by: Ozone27 on 2002-03-25 20:12 ]

• didn’t Hans Rudel use a Stuka with a 30mm cannon to kill tanks? He was a tank ace, and he even sunk a russian battleship…with a Stuka!

• Yes…twin 30mm cannons mounted on the wings. This was a common conversion later in the war for use against Armor on the Eastern Front. I think each cannon could only fire about 20 rounds apeice–'cuz that’s all the Stuka could carry!

Ozone27

• Stukas sound the coolest. I like the Jap Zeros as well, the white ones. Its a tight little aircraft.

• Yeah, the zeros were amazing aircraft. The Nakajima Ki-84 was probably one of the finest all-around aircraft of the war. The only problem was that most Japanese pilots (after 1943) were inexperienced and unable to effectively pilot such an aircraft.

• Well thats what you gey for raming your planes into amarican ships.

i like the RAF hurrican, good bomber killer and better handling then the spitfire

• Of all the things about WW2 that ive read or watch, never once had i heard anything about Russain aircraft.

• The russians had some very excellent designs, although generally inferior to German aircraft. They were often much cruder machines although German pilots generally respected the flying characteristics of such outstanding aircraft as Yaks and La-5/La-7s

• On 2002-03-26 16:46, mini_phreek wrote:
    Well thats what you gey for raming your planes into amarican ships.

i like the RAF hurrican, good bomber killer and better handling then the spitfire

it is “American”, and i believe the kamikaze attacks (organized ones) started in 44.

the spitfire was 100 MPH faster (well,later ones…)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m