• Well if you trying to rush troops into Europe/Africa as soon as possible, why not even bother with Gibralter? If you invade Spain and then Algeria, you can save two turns in the process.

• Sounds like the plan is to keep Germany guessing and keeping German troops in Western Europe tied down with defense instead of attacking the Russians in the East. Whatever the US objective may be can remain hidden until enough troops are massed in a given territory and then relocated. Only then are the US’ real intentions revealed at Germany’s expense.
    Is this close to the mark Dzertfish?

• This sounds like a good strat. One problem however, where ya gonna get those three extra I.P.Cs??? 1 Bomber=15, 2 transports=16 ( at * a peice) and the armour equals 5. if we add that up, it equals 36, which is what america starts with. Just curious is all.

• '19 Moderator

LOL…I dont know where I came up with that math! It made sense yesterday! Just drop the armor and Save 2.

That is the Idea FM, Once you make the landing in Spain if Germany takes it, it is a useless piece of German territory but if Germany is defending it thier defences will be weeker somewhere else. Remember what I said about Algeria. It is a transport ride away from any German territory Exept the Ukraine. If you are moving your troops to eastern Canada your fleet is never out of attack position. Just park it on the atlantic coast of Algeria and make shuttle runs to Canada to pick up your troops.

• Let’s do a little math:

1 bomber + 2 transport + 1 armor =
    15 IPCs + 16 IPCs + 5 IPCs = 36 IPCs.

The USA starts with 36 IPCs. I don’t see how you have “saved 3 IPCs” with this purchase.

• '19 Moderator

Did you read the post directly above the post you made? I guess not.

• Here’s a key weakness in the opening turn. Once you unload the transport with 2 inf. What’s to happen to the transport? It’s unprotected an a sitting duck for German planes. Also on the subsequent invasion the next turn, you can only but up 1 ARM. Easily defendable against, while hampering US’s efforts later in the game for an invasion of Africa with 6 inf., 1 arm on the second turn.

• Precisely, TG Moses….this is not a good opening for the US. One dead tranny, $3 wasted too early, 2 WE Inf + 2-3 Ftrs kills the invader anyway or else just ignore the 2 Inf. What else is the Luftwaffe gonna do on G2 anyway? Worse still, the German inf survivors in Spain (if any) likely live to retreat to WE, because there is no way of hitting Spain again on either UK 2 or US 2 without leaving the Allied trannies unprotected…short of the UK sending her carrier there for defense, which leaves me jumping for joy since she won’t be able to build any new trannies on UK 2 or they are defenseless. The point is with only 1 capital ship, you cannot defend the NSea and the WSpainSz. The only alternative is for the UK to build a second capital ship. Which leaves me very happy as well. Nothing like wasting a ton of Allied resources on a worthless territory.

This is a bad bad idea. If you are going to potentially waste a US tranny, you are much better to put the 2 men in Africa in either Algeria or FWA and secure Africa as early as possible.

SUD

• Yes. USA’s main goal in within the first two turns is to get as many men in Africa as possible. Slicing away at a neutral country does nothing of an IPC value to the Axis and Allies. Taking Spain does offer an important staging point but later in the game (at least 4th turn). And you don’t want to spread your forces too thin, especially for UK. Losing a capital ship is one loss that cannot be easily recovered.

• '19 Moderator

Well, like I said above any stratgy can be beaten. I have used this strategy with succes before. I think that if you use the exact same strategy for every game it gets borring and predictable. Also If you find a decient strategy that is a change of pace it can throw off your opponent.

I also belive that good strategies should be fairly general in case you encounter something unexpected.

I came up with this strategy after seeing western Europe weakly held in the begining of the game time after time. That is less common in my games now:)

• Yeah. When I started playing Germany I always kept at least 6 inf. and ftrs there in WE on each turn. But the more I played, the less amount of forces I put into WE, especially in the first 3 turns. But strats like these… maybe I’ll change my tactics against a daring American player, jah?

• My America strategy is to throw everything you got against germany, fully before even buying one unit against japan (i’m trying to fiddle around to see what ratio of ipcs i should spend for each front.)

Western Europe can at times be taken in turn one, and if not, men can be thrown into africa. If Britain buys a carrier in turn one and transports, an America buys all infantry and transports, you can slowly castrate germany. Take norway, eastern europe, and with the bulk of your forces aim for Western Europe, outbuild germany, take southern, and then slowly outbuild germany and take germany itself.

Axis and Allies is a race between who can kill the other faster. If the allies can kill germany, and if russia can save itself from japan, the allies won. If Japan builds enough and to take russia before germany is gone.

Personally, every time I see Japan attack pearl harbor, they not only lose their entire fleet (one battleship, one transport, one bobmer, and two fighters if japan didn’t land in hawaii.) If japan doesn’t attack, they could draw the us fleet close to land, and with their giant airforce blow the Americans to smitherines. Just today, i lost a transport, sub, and fighter taking out the entire US fleet. The US fleet has to stay in the pacific to detur japanese forces from total domination of Asia by turn 3. But by turn 4, you have to pray Germany is hurting or the game is over.

• Aren’t the Russians usually the ones to take Norway and Eastern Europe. Plus you shouldn’t have much trouble out building German.

As for Japan at Pearl Harbor? I’m not sure who he/she is but I would advise that person to attack Hawaii with all the Naval forces he has. What I noticed was a BB and AC missing, which could make a huge difference on the outcome of the battle.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m