• I play the board game every Sunday with four other guys, and we’re all not bad, but one guy just can’t seem to get the hang of it. We try and try to teach him without actually controling his country, but with no success. The games would be a tonne more fun if he was at our par……do any of you have any suggestions as to how our group could boost his strategy thinking capabilities?

• give him the same country every game…while you guys keep rotating?

• On 2001-12-14 11:53, greensleeves wrote:
    give him the same country every game…while you guys keep rotating?

Agreed. And give him the US because they are the easiest to play -especially with a little nudge or suggestion here and there from his allies.

• I highly disagree. The US is the hardest to play. Give him Russia. There are a few good, simple, easy to understand Russian Strategies.

• he does seem to favour certain countries…Russia and US being both of them. We’ve been doing that lately…just giving him the same counries…i try not to tell him too much, he has to get it on his own, or else theres no point to him playing. He has gotten better in the last few games though. I just tell him to have an obtainable goal in mind and slowly work towards that while taking into consideration other players actions. “For every Action, there is a Reaction.” I tell him that and send him on his way. One thing we try not to do is have him alone with someone on the Axis…argggh… I had Japan doing so good…but he just couldn’t manage Germany. Oh well…at least he tries…he’ll get it soon…i hope.

• Invite him here, just get Djensen to delete this thread first…

• Sorry I can’t help… I’ve got the same problem…

• On 2001-12-14 12:17, Yanny wrote:
    I highly disagree. The US is the hardest to play. Give him Russia. There are a few good, simple, easy to understand Russian Strategies.

I have always felt that if you really want to learn to play A&A well it helps to play Germany. The problem there is that Germany is the most challenging and most pressurized country to play.

Russia is right on the front lines and is far more critical than the US -they are fighting battles on both fronts and is often the focal point of the Axis strategy. If Russia makes a mistake by attacking in appropriately, or attacking the wrong target or too early or with the wrong pieces it can have dire consequences for the Allies. The US does have challenges due to their location, but it is far more difficlut to “screw it up” for the allies as the US. Although the US can be a huge factor in favor of the allies, and by letting a weaker player be the US you may be giving up this potential, but it is far less likely that they will blow the game for his team playing that country.

• if u want him to learn how to play defense let him pick russia. if u want him to learn how to play offense let him play germany

• I’ve think he should play Uk a country with no real difficult responsiblites.

• I agree, give him UK as the US usually does UK’s job for him (in Africa, W Europe, sometimes East Asia) All UK has to decide is how many troops to put where to hurt Germany, defend Russia, and aggravate Japan.
    Also: Japan’s situation is too complex
    Geramny’s too important
    US is needed too much by its allies
    Russia is too important

UK basically needs to keep its African money out of Germany’s hands (with a lot of help from the US), irritate Japan, and send Russia troops. They also need to defend their capital from Germany.

• Seems good. Put an aggresive player in US and let the UK use the US’s momentum.

• Hey there, I think that you should let him choose a country, help him a bit if he has a question BUT if his problem is that he can’t “invent” a good strat. then just let him play his way!Some ppl are good and some aren’t that’s all.

p.s He will prob get the hang of it!

• Give him Germany. After about two or three games he’ll be forced to get better, and fast. If not, you kick the pants off him. That motivated me to do better…

• he might not be motivated he may give up.

• You don’t want the person losing right off the bat….that would just discourage him. I found that by giving him the opportunity to play his way, win or lose, he has more fun and picks up on others strategies as well.

• how about giving him some additional troops to fight with?

• that would just be cheating. he wouldn’t learn the game playing that way.

• I don’t know about you guys but whenever I get a video game that has cheats I beat it with cheats a few times, then with less cheats a few more times, then maybe one or two cheats and then finally with no cheats. It may be cheating but you still get the hang of it.
    Also, you could play with bonus options from spring1942.com’s kremlin rules. The bonus options are designed to spice things up but they also benefit the countries.

• yeah but video games and a board game like axis and allies just aren’t the same.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m