• first– greetings to all,
    it’s good to see some nice discussion.

i’d like to know how many people play with russia not being able to attack in the first turn?

i haven’t played a+a in quite some time (hmm. almost 5 years) and i’ve recently started playing with a couple of new people who are quite skilled players (which is nice) however, when i played before russia was never allowed to attack first. these guys play with the russian’s being able to attack first. i don’t know if it’s my skills being rusty or what. . .but i haven’t been able to have a dominating win with axis yet!! one ipc victory (only because of japan) and two losses. it’s quite frustrating.

help?

• This is curious, although I have heard of this no russian attack on first turn rule, I have never really understood it. In all (or nearly) the games I’ve played attacking on the first turn is nessicary for Russia’s survival.

• Not allowing Russia to attack in its first turn is a recognized variation in the official rules which serves to even things up a bit for the Axis. You can play it either way.

• Yes, attacking first turn can cripple the Germans if you do it right.

I usually do 2 Fighters 5 inf maybe 1 tank attacks Ukraine. Also I attack the German Baltic fleet with 1 sub 1 trn. Note, dont do the Manchuria attack, it dooms russia in the long run.

• How do you stop a Russian player that invades Ukraine first turn? Is it worth losing all of your tanks to take it? Or do you let him fortify it?

• When me and my friends play, we allow Russia to attack first turn.

Normally, the only attack Russia does is in Norway. We are all a bunch of newbs who are still learning how each country fits into their roles.

For instance, we just learned last game that it is an extremely bad idea of US to go Pacific.

Looking back, the funniest game we played was our first one. At the end, I don’t remember Japan going into Asia or USA doing anything whatsoever. Russia could have probably taken on Germany by themselves due to poor purchasing. =)

Zug, zug

[ This Message was edited by: Kycan on 2001-11-25 12:39 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Kycan on 2001-11-25 12:39 ]

• if you know your playing against a good russian player, usually you are forced to pull out of not only ukraine but also eastern
    europe. Russia can’t really hold easern europe though, and germany can take it back in force next turn.

• attack him lovecraft…you’ll have 4 more tanks if u purchased wisely…he will have maybe 1

• I’m just curious. Is it a house rule for russia to attack on the first turn? The way I learned how to play, Russia can’t do any combat moves on T1.

• '19 Moderator

Actualy restricted Russia is the alternate rule. It came out with the third edition rules.

Red

[ This Message was edited by: dezrtfish on 2001-12-06 13:52 ]

• Without the “no first turn attack for Russia” rule, strong Allied players can make it difficult for the Axis. But this is not fatal either. The Axis working together to quickly take out Russia/Asia is sound strategy. Experiment on how to do this. You’ll find many strategies on this site and other links to help you out. Try them all. Your enemies’ actions sometimes dictates yours. Exploit they’re weaknesses. Plans never survive contact. Use their setbacks to your advantage…

• “The best plan never survives contact with the enemy”

I agree, don’t stick strictly to a plan. Be flexible, learn to adapt. I plan for turns ahead, but I always have 2 or 3 backup plans. I usually play with the philosophy let them break down, as long as I keep running I am safe.

• On 2001-11-25 08:56, Doctor Lovecraft wrote:
    How do you stop a Russian player that invades Ukraine first turn? Is it worth losing all of your tanks to take it? Or do you let him fortify it?

Never ever ever lose tanks in battle.

If you’re playing against skilled allies, you must give up Finland always, and you must give up Ukraine for much of the game. The trick though is to surrender these territories in a way that allows you to keep more of your assets.

I usually dont share secrets, but:
    If Russia takes Ukraine, then Germany’s first turn should be to attack Karelia with everything it has : for one round of combat only. You then retreat everything to Eastern Europe. But it is essential that you attack for no more than one round of dice rolls.

This move gets your valuable land-assets off of finland (where they’re sitting ducks guarding a measly 2 points) and consolidates them into a large Eastern Europe force. (and you will have lost NO TANKS).

And after your fighters get back from battling the UK navy, land three of them in Eastern Europe (and one in Western) and move your AAgun from Southern to Eastern.

Then move one infantry from Germany to Western and move three infantry from Germany to Eastern. (or 2 and 2 depending on your Eastern assets).

Eastern Europe is now your staging ground to the east and will usually remain Impenetrable.

Moreover, you now have only 2 fronts (Western and Eastern) and they’re within a blitzkreig of one another.

HEL Drunken Lies
    MW4 Founder
    Hell’s Elite Legions

[ This Message was edited by: Drunken Lies on 2001-12-06 18:08 ]**

• I have also tried attacking with Russia first….with no long term success. I managed to take Ukraine and Norway, and fortify for 1 turn with russian and a few UK units…but that just stalled the Germans who came right back and forced me to retreat to my mommy’s house in Moscow…I am also very curious who has had success with the Russian First Attack Strategy…?

• hai
    with russia i allways attack in the first round
    take 5inf from cau, 3inf from kar and the 2 fighters and go for ukr.
    this you can’t lose, then place every thing from rus to kar and build you 8 inf there too.
    germany can attack kar, but has got very little chance.
    and iff you keep building inf, and no less then 90% on kar you’ll be fine.
    it’s the way i’m playing for a wile, and i haven’t lost from me friends yet so……

gtz nils

• On 2001-11-16 18:00, e_prime wrote:
    first– greetings to all,
    it’s good to see some nice discussion.

i’d like to know how many people play with russia not being able to attack in the first turn?

i haven’t played a+a in quite some time (hmm. almost 5 years) and i’ve recently started playing with a couple of new people who are quite skilled players (which is nice) however, when i played before russia was never allowed to attack first. these guys play with the russian’s being able to attack first. i don’t know if it’s my skills being rusty or what. . .but i haven’t been able to have a dominating win with axis yet!! one ipc victory (only because of japan) and two losses. it’s quite frustrating.

help?

If you say these guys are skilled players, then that explains it all. Skilled players don’t loses convincingly when playing the Allies under the normal set of rules.

I just had a dominating victory as the Axis against some friends who have a lot of experience but haven’t played in a while. They are convinced that their poor rolling was the reason they lost so badly. They believe this because there was no single move that they made that proved to be devistating to their objectives. However, it was obvious to me -and my partner- that their over all strategy (or lack there of) was very weak. They should know better.

If these guys have a good understanding of the fundamentals of the game as well as Allied strategy, you are probably going to have to forget about a dominant Axis victory and learn to settle for just a victory.

Good luck

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m