• I had a very inetersting game with Paulzy the other night and I thought I would ask for a feedback from other players who might have experience with the situation that evolved in our game.

I was Allies and since it was not a league game and I really like playing Paulzy I decided I would try something special. Of course I did my standard Norwegian move R1 but I decided to go after Japan. The idea was to build US IC on Alaska on R1 and UK IC on India R2. The India IC worked very well in the early stages, while Japan made a move to get the Alaska IC which it did, but it really slowed her and got under pressure in the middle game.

The Russians were able to keep things more or less under control on the European front for quite a long time. UK managed to sink the Germany med fleet and contested succesfully Africa with Germans in the early stages and even managed to sink half of the Japanese ships off FIC. The US was producing bbs, trans and bmbs. Many bmbs.

There were some substantial tactical mistakes on both sides during the game I would say but Paulzy is an outstanding player so gradually Axis was gaining ground and Japan managed to get hold of India after a little bit of unkind dice. Japan got most of Africa and Germans started to push Russia really hard. At the other hand UK was starting to develop some pressure on Germany too, holding Nor, and trading EE and WEU.

At the same time US was a monster in Pacific with fleet of 2 loaded ACs, 3bbs, trns, dd, sub and 8bmbs. It took all three juicy islands.

R8 Russia went for straffing stack of 18 G tanks on WR which proved to be futile since Moscow than fell on German move. It was clear there is no way of retaking mosc any time soon and it was only a matter of short time UK would be pushed out of Europe.

Axis was up on production. Germany 40+, Japan around 50, UK -30, US 50 +. But Allies hold 4 VCs and was not going to lose any of them any time soon (London, Manilla, LA, NY). US just sunk very expensive Japanese naval build and was in a complete control of PAcific and Indian Ocean with ICs on all three islands and 8subs in the adjacent SZs and the 8 bmbs in Philipenes. There was no question of Japan getting back on the water in the game.

Surely UK would get soon under pressure from Germany, but had a decent Atlantic fleet and could retake Africa with the aid of US really soon thus getting Japan back under 40, while staying competitive or at least being able to hold its own.

And I felt that if the US had managed to set up a foothold on Asia mainland or even break Japan hold of FIC (pretty fortified at the time) and India it could still turn the game around. I thought that could still be the turning point of the game.

We felt the game would drag for a very long time before one of us (probably Axis for that matter) getting 9 VCs and we decided call it a draw.

Has anybody ever played the endgame US/UK vs Germany/Japan and won?

connection_lost_on_X_14_at_02_46.tsvg

• Never seen nothing like it.I have the feeling that things wouldn t be so easy for the Axis.Even with Russia gone,invading the Island is still a big task for Germany if Japan is out of the picture.The question is,can the US take Japan before Germany takes UK??Germany would definitely need Africa first.With sufficient SBRing,both are equally plausible.

• Sorry, just noticed the original save of the game was not correct. Now there is the right one. Apologies to the two users, who have downloaded it already  :roll:

• Sounds interesting. I’d say that G/J should ultimately have an advantage over the UK/US but it would take hours and rounds before any decision, so I think you guys did best in calling it a draw.

• What a great game it was Granada :)  Granada the Great !  You have taught me much.

I do believe we were right in calling it a draw … after Moscow fell, Axis did not make a single correct decision to seal the win. The Allies were still very much in the game.

After a fresh look at the save, maybe Axis should have built a couple Jap factories in Africa and began pumping out troops and/or waited a couple rounds saveing IPC’s until Jap could have dumped a much larger fleet in the pac while Germany built up?

Either way, one for the books!  :mrgreen:

• @Paulzy:

After a fresh look at the save, maybe Axis should have built a couple Jap factories in Africa and began pumping out troops and/or waited a couple rounds saveing IPC’s until Jap could have dumped a much larger fleet in the pac while Germany built up?

I also cannot stop thinking of the game  :-D.

After ckecking the file I think Japan would get under severe pressure in the coming rounds having to defend both Japan and FIC. And actually there would be some options in India too. US build next round would be 3trns and tnk Borneo, 2inf and tnk philippines, 2bmb EIC, moving the fleet next to borneo. Thus US would be threatening the next round to hit either FIC or Jap with 4inf, 2tnk, 3figs, 3bbs, 10bmbs (8 on jap). It would not be entirely easy to defend both. Or US could have set up at India, threatening to produce there 3 UK units before the next jap move. It could have been difficult for jap to hit India then without exposing FIC. If US would get India and FIC, I think Allies may get the upper hand again. But should those threats fail I think Axis would prevail soon after this.

• how do i open that map?

• In TripleA. It is a TripleA file.

• @Granada:

In TripleA. It is a TripleA file.

Oh!  I was trying in abattlemap, silly me :)

Thanks, works perfectly now.

Edit: that’s an odd situation, and a lot of American IC’s…

• @special:

Well, the fact it is an odd situation made me to start this discussion.  :wink:

I have built all these ICs making myself ready for a long fight, and being able to produce units where I really need them. I think I had a good chance to develop a real pressure on FIC/japan, but as we left it I have not really checked.

• @Granada:

@special:

Well, the fact it is an odd situation made me to start this discussion.  :wink:

I have built all these ICs making myself ready for a long fight, and being able to produce units where I really need them. I think I had a good chance to develop a real pressure on FIC/japan, but as we left it I have not really checked.

Well, odd or not, it is indeed a good base to work from. Within reach of many targets, able to build alot fast. And plenty of subs to avoid Axis naval builds.

In this situation (and even more after u took Africa), controlling the seas means winning the game (in the long run)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m