• I was wondering if anyone used the victory city board, marshaling cards, and plane tokens from AAR and the damage markers from AA50 for AA42? I copied those and printed them for use with this game. I like AA42 with the new map, rules from AA50, and the cruisers. I think it is a great game. I found sheets of the AA50 IPCs on Board Game Geek and printed those as well. I don’t mind not having the R&D since I never used it before much anyway. I did change the victory city sheet from the 3 victory options to the two that are in the AA42 rules. Black marker, a little white out tape and black pen and voila. I am not too creative with creating my own things so I did the best with what I knew how to do. Also, Board Game Geek has mobilization charts for this game that I printed and laminated. I wish those types of things were included like they were in AAR.

• @skinny1:

I was wondering if anyone used the victory city board, marshaling cards, and plane tokens from AAR and the damage markers from AA50 for AA42? I copied those and printed them for use with this game. I like AA42 with the new map, rules from AA50, and the cruisers. I think it is a great game. I found sheets of the AA50 IPCs on Board Game Geek and printed those as well. I don’t mind not having the R&D since I never used it before much anyway. I did change the victory city sheet from the 3 victory options to the two that are in the AA42 rules. Black marker, a little white out tape and black pen and voila. I am not too creative with creating my own things so I did the best with what I knew how to do. Also, Board Game Geek has mobilization charts for this game that I printed and laminated. I wish those types of things were included like they were in AAR.

We do the opposite. We play 42 on the Revised board. The new one is too small.

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17

@Col.Stauffenberg:

The boards are not the same.  There are some differences especially in America.

• @KaLeun:

@Col.Stauffenberg:

There are only like 2 differences and they’re inconsequential.

• @Col.Stauffenberg:

@skinny1:

I was wondering if anyone used the victory city board, marshaling cards, and plane tokens from AAR and the damage markers from AA50 for AA42? I copied those and printed them for use with this game. I like AA42 with the new map, rules from AA50, and the cruisers. I think it is a great game. I found sheets of the AA50 IPCs on Board Game Geek and printed those as well. I don’t mind not having the R&D since I never used it before much anyway. I did change the victory city sheet from the 3 victory options to the two that are in the AA42 rules. Black marker, a little white out tape and black pen and voila. I am not too creative with creating my own things so I did the best with what I knew how to do. Also, Board Game Geek has mobilization charts for this game that I printed and laminated. I wish those types of things were included like they were in AAR.

Do you play with the optional rules/National Advantages in the back of the Revised rules?

• @skinny1:

@Col.Stauffenberg:

@skinny1:

Do you play with the optional rules/National Advantages in the back of the Revised rules?

Not really. We play with no national advantages but we use a couple optional rules. We use the fighter as AA against bombing runs one. We also use a couple house rules , like you can return on Cruiser bombardments but not battleship ones and subs can block lone transports, but only lone transports.

• @Col.Stauffenberg:

@KaLeun:

@Col.Stauffenberg:

There are only like 2 differences and they’re inconsequential.

We do the same using the Revised board to replace the AA1942 one. Besides being smaller on the 42 it is almost impossible to distinguish between the borders of the german territories. We play using the changes to North America though.

• I thought about incorporating the National Advantages into AA42 but saw that some of them refer to specific color sections of the AAR map. I have never used the NA and feel it would be too much of a hassle to squeeze them in to AA42. After a few games of AA42 with oob map I might consider using the AAR map with the AA42 set up and see how that plays. There is a difference between the 2 though. The size of Alaska and Western Canada was changed and the placement of Central US was moved. Does that alter any strategies in the game from AAR and AA42?

• @skinny1:

I thought about incorporating the National Advantages into AA42 but saw that some of them refer to specific color sections of the AAR map. I have never used the NA and feel it would be too much of a hassle to squeeze them in to AA42. After a few games of AA42 with oob map I might consider using the AAR map with the AA42 set up and see how that plays. There is a difference between the 2 though. The size of Alaska and Western Canada was changed and the placement of Central US was moved. Does that alter any strategies in the game from AAR and AA42?

It would but only crazy ones you can only play on noobs, like Canadian Shield or Operation Hollywood. I can’t imagine a viable strat where the new layout comes into play. The main difference is that you’re depriving Japan of a potential 6 IPC cash grab in Central US.

• @Col.Stauffenberg:

@skinny1:

I thought about incorporating the National Advantages into AA42 but saw that some of them refer to specific color sections of the AAR map. I have never used the NA and feel it would be too much of a hassle to squeeze them in to AA42. After a few games of AA42 with oob map I might consider using the AAR map with the AA42 set up and see how that plays. There is a difference between the 2 though. The size of Alaska and Western Canada was changed and the placement of Central US was moved. Does that alter any strategies in the game from AAR and AA42?

It would but only crazy ones you can only play on noobs, like Canadian Shield or Operation Hollywood. I can’t imagine a viable strat where the new layout comes into play. The main difference is that you’re depriving Japan of a potential 6 IPC cash grab in Central US.

The last time that I played AAR I was Japan and moved east. When I got to Western Canada/Alaska area the US decided to quit so I was not able to do the 6 IPC cash grab and move into Eastern US to end the US as a country playing the game. I was a little disappointed that the game ended after about 3 rounds. Granted, I was playing my 13 year old and he was the US but I was having a lot of fun. I am fairly new even though I have had the games for a few years. I do not get as much playing time as I would like but I do have all the board game starting with the 2nd edition MB game.

• @skinny1:

@Col.Stauffenberg:

@skinny1:

The last time that I played AAR I was Japan and moved east. When I got to Western Canada/Alaska area the US decided to quit so I was not able to do the 6 IPC cash grab and move into Eastern US to end the US as a country playing the game. I was a little disappointed that the game ended after about 3 rounds. Granted, I was playing my 13 year old and he was the US but I was having a lot of fun. I am fairly new even though I have had the games for a few years. I do not get as much playing time as I would like but I do have all the board game starting with the 2nd edition MB game.

Yeah, you’re not going to be able to do that against more experienced players. The US is easily the safest country to play. Their only difficulty lies in effective shipping, which can be one the most difficult things to do in the game.

• I really need to get some more f2f games in with some experienced players. I play my uncle who used to play the classic MB version with my brother. My uncle is really good at seeing things that might be a potential problem in future rounds so I try to pay attention to what he does and file that information away for future use. It is hard to remember all that stuff sometimes though. I have played all the AA board games with my uncle and he usually beats me in the global games but we are pretty even in the battle specific games like Bulge or Guadalcanal.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m