Air units movement regarding islands / sea zones

• Alright, I got this game for christmas, have the rules down pretty good… but there’s a few things I don’t understand yet.
    Do islands inside sea zones count as a move?
    So if I was retreating from 4 sea zones away, got to the sea zone, could I land at the island?
    And if I am on the island, and going out, does it count as a move for that sea zone around the island…?
    Also let’s say I’m USA, and I move my fighter to a hostile sea zone, and I declare Soviet Unions aircraft carrier’s going to go there, after battling of course, can this be done?
    Another thing, if I place an anti aircraft rocket on an island (After moving it there via transport of course), will it attack planes going over the sea zone, or is it basically useless?
    I guess that question’s sort of similar to my first (Island seperate from a sea zone).
    Also for transports, is it a combat move, when you load up som eunits, move them two spaces, and do an amphibious assault?
    Or do they need to already be in the transport?
    One more thing, after I drop off units, can I move them? Or is their turn done as well.
    Thanks guys.

• Do islands inside sea zones count as a move?

Only if you start on it or want to land there, but yes.

So if I was retreating from 4 sea zones away, got to the sea zone, could I land at the island?

Nope, it takes 1 movement point to go from a sea zone to an island. However, you don’t need a movement point to land on a carrier because it’s considered to be in the sea zone.

And if I am on the island, and going out, does it count as a move for that sea zone around the island…?

Yes.

Also let’s say I’m USA, and I move my fighter to a hostile sea zone, and I declare Soviet Unions aircraft carrier’s going to go there, after battling of course, can this be done?

No. You can only move and take action with your units on your turn. You can land on his carrier but you can’t move it.

Another thing, if I place an anti aircraft rocket on an island (After moving it there via transport of course), will it attack planes going over the sea zone, or is it basically useless?

It’s useless unless the actual island is being attacked. Nothing on land helps in the sea battles (example: the hawaiin fighter doesn’t participate in the defense of the fleet in sz52). Think of the island as a separate zone basically.

Also for transports, is it a combat move, when you load up som eunits, move them two spaces, and do an amphibious assault?
    Or do they need to already be in the transport?

They do not need to start in the transport. You can freely pick up units then attack. For instance, you can use the transport in Eastern Canada to pick up the tank, move to sz3, pick up an infantry from Britain, then amphibiously assault Norway. However, you cannot move a unit before or after you load/offload them. So you cannot move the infantry from western canada to eastern canada and put him in that transport all in one turn.

One more thing, after I drop off units, can I move them? Or is their turn done as well.

It’s done, it’s over. Can’t move units before or after loading/offloading. They can be loaded then offloaded but they cannot use their actual movement points if you are doing so.

• Hm, I actually read in the instruction book you can move your fighter to an unoccupied sea zone, you, and your ally declare that his aircraft carrier will go there on his non combat move, and let your fighter land on it.
    The rule book said this, therefor I will follow that…

• Where’d you read that? I can’t find anything that says that.

he is referring to page 21:

Aircraft Carriers can move to SZ’s containing friendly fighters so and so forth… The wording is wrong it still means only your fighters.

GG

• @Guerrilla:

he is referring to page 21:

Aircraft Carriers can move to SZ’s containing friendly fighters so and so forth… The wording is wrong it still means only your fighters.

GG

It isn;t wrong, just not specific enough.  Your own fighters are still “friendly” :-)

For the person who asked the original question, look at it this way…

UK flies a fighter out into the Pacific ocean to a non-hostile sea zone.  It moves 4 moves, the limit of it’s range (that is all the fuel it can hold).  Now after flying to the limit of its fuel, it is going to circle while Japan moves, and then the US moves until the US carrier finally goes to that sea zone so it can land?  Nope!

Or just look at it this way…

At the end of each player’s move, EVERY move is ended; nothing is in progress.  So all aircraft are on runways being readied for next use, or in the hanger deck of their carrier.

You CAN land on an allied carrier, but that carrier has to be within 4 spaces of your starting point when your plane takes off.

if it was referring to only your fighters it should have said just “your fighters”… :wink:

• You know, I have re-read that passage in the printed manual… and by the way I read it on closer examination, Russia could fly their figs to SZ2 in R1 and then just hang out, not “really” being there until they land on a new UK AC that could be built in UK1.

THAT is one screwed up rule.  Have a feeling it has been corrected in LHRT.  Will have to check…

• Never mind… was thinking Revised…

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m