• I was wondering when i play as Germany G1 and want to attack sz 109 with subs from 118 and 108 can Uk then scramble since he has a destroyer there or is it just limited to surface warships?

Another thing i was wondering was how is the scramble combat cuonducted? In the rules it says it’s done before the normal combat but since subs cant hit air units it seems impossible to attack?

• Yes, they can scramble.

What happens is this: if the sub(s) kill the DD, the battle is over. The transport dies, the subs remain in 109 and the planes land back in the UK or Scotland

• But doesn’t the scramble battle phase take place before the regular combat phase?

• @veresh:

But doesn’t the scramble battle phase take place before the regular combat phase?

Yes

• Then please explain to me how the subs survive, Scramble battle is first, so england will have a destroyer that will see my subs so his planes can shoot at me, and since im on a sub i cant fire back so they will just sink me since combat phase doesn’t occur until after the scramble combat phase? Im sorry but this is very unclear for me.

• Official Q&A

You may be a little confused, veresh.  Scrambling does take place before any combat occurs, but all that means is that the planes move from their bases into the adjacent sea zones before combat.  The actual battles take place at the normal times, with the scrambled planes acting as normal defenders in their respective battles.  It’s as though those planes had been on carriers in the contested sea zones, except the survivors land back at their respective bases afterwards.

Does that make sense?

• @veresh:

Then please explain to me how the subs survive, Scramble battle is first, so england will have a destroyer that will see my subs so his planes can shoot at me, and since im on a sub i cant fire back so they will just sink me since combat phase doesn’t occur until after the scramble combat phase? Im sorry but this is very unclear for me.

If all the planes miss and the sub gets a hit(killing the DD), then you’re left with subs against planes and a transport. Since the planes and subs can’t hit each other(the DD has gone), the transport will automatically die and then the battle is over.

• So just to make sure i got this right then, i attack with the 2 subs, brittain scramble i fire lets say i hit with 1 sub, the dd is killed the transport aswell and the ftr can no longer participate so they return to england.

Example 2. I attack G1 sz 110 with the 5 planes from wg and holland, he scrambles 3 ftg’s 2 britt and 1 frog plan, after i fire with all my planes does he then have to fire the scramble planes first or it doesn’t matter?

• For example 1, the Transport dies only if the scrambled fighters do not kill all of your subs(that is, if they get 0 or 1 hits)

For example 2, all defenders fire at the same time

• Official Q&A

@veresh:

So just to make sure i got this right then, i attack with the 2 subs, brittain scramble i fire lets say i hit with 1 sub, the dd is killed the transport aswell and the ftr can no longer participate so they return to england.

Not exactly.  Because the defender has a destroyer, the attacking subs don’t get Surprise Strike.  That means that the attacker and defender (including scrambled planes) fire simultaneously.  If the defender scores two hits, the attacking subs will both be lost.  Since the attacker scored only one hit, the destroyer will go down, but the transport will survive, as the battle is over.

On the other hand, if the defender scored zero or one hit, a sub would remain.  Since the defender no longer has a destroyer, the attacking sub(s) and the defending planes can no longer hit each other.  The battle is over, but the remaining subs sink the defenseless transport.  The same would be true if the attacker scored two hits (taking out both ships), no matter how many hits the defender scored.

@veresh:

Example 2. I attack G1 sz 110 with the 5 planes from wg and holland, he scrambles 3 ftg’s 2 britt and 1 frog plan, after i fire with all my planes does he then have to fire the scramble planes first or it doesn’t matter?

The defending planes will fire along with the defending ships, as fire is simultaneous.

• OK that sucks, but thank you for the clarification, guess sinking whole english fleet now is alot more difficult then it used to be  :-(

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m