• I recently played a game as the axis against someone I knew who liked to use the U.S. to invade Algeria in Round 1.  I usually will use the German sub in SZ 8 on Round 1 to destroy the lone British transport in SZ 1.  However, knowing my opponent to launch operation torch on Round 1, I decided to move my German sub from SZ 8 to SZ 10 and attack the U.S. cruiser and two transports.  I won the battle and thought I was just lucky, but I later calculated the odds of winning using TripleA and found it to be almost even at 49% attacker and 51% defender.

The question: Is it worth the risk to lose a German sub on R1 to destroy the U.S. capacity to land in Africa? 
    Things to consider:
    UK having two transports on R1 to invade Norway
    Possibility of using German Mediterranean fleet to attack British cruiser in SZ 13 on R1 instead of Egypt, so as to take Brazil on R2.

How do you reinforce Norway on R1 against imminent British invasion?

• I recommend attacking the UK BB/Tr with SS, ftr, and bmr.

If you do the math, SS vs CC is exactly 50-50. However, I’d advise against this since invading Algeria on US1 is a bad move since, if you put as many planes as possible in France, you can kill the US navy and probably their land forces in Algeria.

• @calvinhobbesliker:

However, I’d advise against this since invading Algeria on US1 is a bad move since, if you put as many planes as possible in France, you can kill the US navy and probably their land forces in Algeria.

To me it’s not a bad move if you only send the transports. The Germans will destroy them but you now have US ground units in the race for Africa.

• '10

To me it’s not a bad move if you only send the transports. The Germans will destroy them but you now have US ground units in the race for Africa.

That’s usually the way I play it. Especially if Germany is successful in Egypt. And like Hobbes said, if Germany decides to go after the US troops you’ve taken a turn away from it’s attack on Russia or the UK Navy.

Besides, it’s about the only thing the U.S. can do turn one. I’ve been teaching a couple guys how to play and it’s tough to tell the US players, who has waited almost an hour for his turn, to just make some buys with a plane movement thrown in there and wait another hour before it can do anything else (and there might not be much turn two either).

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m