Dusting off Operation:Hollywood..Will kill America first be an option like inAAR

• J1: Chahar, Anhwe, Hunan,French indo china; move fleet to sz6, island men drop in Korea.

Is this including the fleet at Truk? or just the 3 ships up by Japan in sz19?

G5: Build 10 units in C. US rest in Europe, drive Russia back with your 50+units vs their 35ish.

Major Factory in C. US becomes minor factory upon conquest.

• That is some time spent at work planning this!

If something goes wrong after you move the German fleet to western Gibraltar it can always move into the Med using the land units to take Africa if Italy has not.

To get Americas attention in the Pacific Japan can do something obnoxious always……

My favorite strategy against the Americans is blocking them.  They can use it against the landing Germans.  Having the Italian Navy and air force near by helps open it up.

Since the strategy has such as excellent fall back into the Med I might not be able to resist trying.

• @allweneedislove:

i read all your moves but did not study to see if there is counters. even if it is not fool proof i love the idea of trying to make another legitimate strategy for this game.

@JamesAleman:

Premise: Do not engage or threaten U.S. until turn 3. Then swing into motion and catch them by surprise. Only works if the US spends 1st turn builds in Pacific. May require 2nd turn builds in Pacific…

There’s your counter - a US1 Atlantic build.

I’d really like to try this (and analyse it) because it sounds fun, but I’m afraid my opponents tend to build in the Atlantic (at least in part); especially against a perceived Sea Lion threat.  I wonder If Japan can goad USA somehow?  Maybe J1 is sound enough to try this anyway and only follow through the odd time you face a devoted Pacific build.

Have your tried your revised strategy in AA42?  I think I’d like to.  Also, is there an AA50 version?

PS: you should push for the U-Boat Peril optional rule!

• What if Japan attacked Hawaii turn one. That would probably encourage a pacific build.

• @zooooma:

A strategy which only works once against each opponent will never work against a strong opponent.

On second thought, an opponent with general A&A skill will still be a little green at such a new (and gigantic) version…

• @tgardner57:

J1: Chahar, Anhwe, Hunan,French indo china; move fleet to sz6, island men drop in Korea.

Is this including the fleet at Truk? or just the 3 ships up by Japan in sz19?

G5: Build 10 units in C. US rest in Europe, drive Russia back with your 50+units vs their 35ish.

Major Factory in C. US becomes minor factory upon conquest.

1. Yes, all navy North. I kept Japan attacks to a minimum. I didn’t want people to think I had more money with them then they are likely to get. Use the transports to grab men from Caroline, Iwo, and Okinawa. I hope to leave Caroline open on J3 to encourage a US move there instead of back to W. US….not too likely, but why not try.

2. Got me there, that shows my lack of experience with Global…minor factory works well for me too, if the axis knock out C.US and W.US I can live with that.

Although, US4 will produce a large take back force with the 82 they collect US3. (they should be able to make like 8 infantry, 4 artillery, and 7 armor I believe.)May prove hard to hold without 7 more infantry. The extra Japanese air might do it…but there are many things that can go wrong. You might have to attack one stack with Japan…would have to playtest and see what actually happens with US player.

I don’t mean to imply that this is the best America first approach. I just wanted to toss out an idea that looks reasonable to get the pot boiling on ideas to make this work. Also, I have yet to play test this, just posted a game plan from my mental picture of the board and probable moves.

• @zooooma:

@allweneedislove:

i read all your moves but did not study to see if there is counters. even if it is not fool proof i love the idea of trying to make another legitimate strategy for this game.

@JamesAleman:

Premise: Do not engage or threaten U.S. until turn 3. Then swing into motion and catch them by surprise. Only works if the US spends 1st turn builds in Pacific. May require 2nd turn builds in Pacific…

There’s your counter - a US1 Atlantic build.

I’d really like to try this (and analyse it) because it sounds fun, but I’m afraid my opponents tend to build in the Atlantic (at least in part); especially against a perceived Sea Lion threat.  I wonder If Japan can goad USA somehow?  Maybe J1 is sound enough to try this anyway and only follow through the odd time you face a devoted Pacific build.

Have your tried your revised strategy in AA42?  I think I’d like to.  Also, is there an AA50 version?

PS: you should push for the U-Boat Peril optional rule!

Yep, it is easily countered and prevented, could only work if a US player chooses Japan first and builds there first. I mentioned that from the beginning, because a heavy land unit build or Atlantic fleet may prove to be too much for the axis to overcome. Give me time to work on that approach when I play more games of global.

I haven’t played a game of 42, my meetup.com group always preferred AA50. The board is functionally similar to AArevised I believe, but I have not studied it. I think my original plan is out there…sorry for the name, Hollywood sounded more exciting then KUSAF :) I never tried it with A50. I actually credit my friend (Warpiglet on Boardgamegeek.com, been playing AA together since high school 1990s) for asking me about America first in Global, he is fixated on using all those Jap planes. So I thought I would bring back the Revised plan and see if it or something like it fit.

I’d push for the U-boat peril rule, but I wouldn’t want to tip my hand ;) great idea.

• @finnman:

What if Japan attacked Hawaii turn one. That would probably encourage a pacific build.

And give the U.S. 30 more IPCs and the ability to attack Germany or send units to UK.

If I was doing a J1 attack, I think I would go India first, but I’ll look at it.

Maybe a J1 attack and you leave Japan open, inviting a Pacific fleet. The 30 more IPCs US has, gives them more options US3 when Germany gets into position…thats enough to build 10 infantry on C.US.

I think the focus should be using the “free” time you have to prepare, while America’s hands are tied.

• @MarkVIIIMarc:

That is some time spent at work planning this!

Since the strategy has such as excellent fall back into the Med I might not be able to resist trying.

Since you mentioned it, Gibraltar puts you in range of sz 82, which borders 4 W. African territories and puts you one turn away from the S. African UK factory. (if you were not sending units to Egypt)

You would be hard pressed to abandon this plan as USSR is in German territories, but the extra income from Africa, plus maybe a D.O.War on S. America may be necessary to get your money up. Japan will be poor too, and no help for a long while if Hollywood was scrapped mid game. It would be better to seize UK or move the transports back to 114 to get Novograd.

I would still send the subs towards the U.S. or UK whichever is safer.

Likely outcome of a failed Hollywood is a loss. Even knocking down US for a long while, would not matter with how built up USSR, Anzac, China and India would be.

Still dreaming of Berlin or Rome being +20 for holding E. US……so close
    Imagine photos of Mussolini viewing New York from the Empire state building or Adolf touring Ellis Island while planning to rework the statue into a more Germanic looking Valkyrie.

• If germany gets three transports of fellas to gibralter that should be enough to tip the scales in africa without giving up your capital. Now seven or ten would really kill that minor complex but things would be hairy up north!

Good thinking about moving south!

• Found Reply#6 that refers to Canadian shield…i.e. operation Hollywood. They credit me and my friend for independently publishing it first :) Search for Hollywood.

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=6090.0

I’m looking for the original on Avalon hills site if its still there…have to remember my password and old email address. I’ll post it in Revised if I find it…Kind of cool, people became serious about a KAF strategy.

EDIT:
    Here is the AA50 plan I put on Board game geeks since you were curious. Its the third post.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/455961/what-is-next-to-mexico-on-the-other-side-of-the-bo

Here is a recollection of the original Hollywood plan, look at the bottom post by Iron Chef…my screen name on Avalon hill was Original_james back in 2004.

http://forum.rpg.net/archive/index.php/t-135650.html

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m