• TripleA

j1 purchase 3 transports, move sz33 units to sz6, capture french indo china and 4 available chinese territories.
    j2 purchase 5 transports, declare war, capture alaska with 1tank, 3art, 8inf via sz1 with 6 loaded transports, land all air in japan
    j3 move 10inf from japan to alaska, move all air units to alaska(except 6 figs on carriers in sz1)
    j4 attack west usa with 18inf, 3art, 1tank, 14figs, 10tacs, 4bombers

usa1 purchase 5inf, move phil air to guam, move all ground and air units to west usa
    usa2 purchase 8inf, move guam air to wake
    usa3 purchase 10tanks, move wake air to west usa

anzac1 move tran to queensland
    anzac2 move 4 figs to hawaii, move tran to sz27
    anzac3 move 4 figs to west usa and unload 2inf to west usa

west usa battle is
    japan attacking with 18inf, 3art, 1tank, 14figs, 10tacs, 4bombers
    allies defending with 22inf/art, 11tanks, 8figs, 3tacs, 3bombers

japan wins 35% of the time

with optimal purchases and moves on both sides(only considering a kill usa first strategy) japan has 35% chance at capturing usa. looks like the game designers did a great job at making kill usa a viable strategy that is not over powering

• @allweneedislove:

usa1 purchase 4inf, move phil air to guam, move all ground and air units to west usa

japan wins 45% of the time

with optimal purchases and moves on both sides(only considering a kill usa first strategy) japan has 45% chance at capturing usa. looks like the game designers did a great job at making kill usa a viable strategy that is not over powering

Are you sure about your US purchases ? It just seems like a bit more could be done.

• @moompix:

@squirecam:

@allweneedislove:

usa1 purchase 4inf, move phil air to guam, move all ground and air units to west usa

japan wins 45% of the time

with optimal purchases and moves on both sides(only considering a kill usa first strategy) japan has 45% chance at capturing usa. looks like the game designers did a great job at making kill usa a viable strategy that is not over powering

Are you sure about your US purchases R1 and 2  ???

Those seem off…

If the US has the Philippines

US1 (17 IPCs) = 5 Inf save 2
    US2 (24 IPCs) = 8 Inf
    US3 (60 IPCs) = 8 Tanks , 2 fighters

allies defending with 22inf/art, 9tanks, 10figs, 3tacs, 3bombers ???

AWNIL has 4 inf, 8 inf, then 10 tanks. An extra inf, or an inf changed to a tank, could make a difference given the % is 45. It may be reduced to below 40%.

[EDIT: 1 extra inf drops the % from 44 to 37% Two extra inf down to 28%]

Thats what I meant, in that I thought USA could buy a bit more or change a bit. But your r3 purchase is 68 ipc, not 60.

I dont have the map handy, but cant the british also add 2 inf from malaya? (sz 37 to queensland uk1, then up to w usa following anzac…)

• @squirecam:

Thats what I meant, in that I thought USA could buy a bit more or change a bit. But your r3 purchase is 68 ipc, not 60.

I mistakenly calculated the US3 buy using the old cost of tanks.

• UK 1 All fleet to SZ 37 All air units Kwangtung Minor Factory Kwangtung save 4 IPCs
    UK 2 Fleet to sz 20, 4 infantry from malaya to Kwangtung, fleet to SZ 20, build Carrier, transport, infantry
    UK 3 Attack Japan with 6 infantry, fighter, tactical bomber, crusier bombard, battleship bombard

Can you completeley ignore the possibility of this?

what can you build on j3, 10 infantry?

whatever you leave behind to stop this takes away from the attack on the US

• @moompix:

@squirecam:

I mistakenly calculated the US3 buy using the old cost of tanks.

Doesnt matter. AWNIL was down 1 inf, which alone makes it only a 37% win.

• I predict this strat will never be beaten!

• come june this wont matter one bit
    eastern US stuff and money makes this strat impossible in the global game

• I can’t help but think it’ll make a J1 attack pretty much invalid. Unless Germany doesn’t mind the US grinding out full production on turn 1.

• @oztea:

UK 1 All fleet to SZ 37 All air units Kwangtung Minor Factory Kwangtung save 4 IPCs

J2: buy whatever, declare war on UK and take Kwantung and the minor IC.

I can’t :-D

• then the US is spared
    The UK has to do something stupid to save the US to beat this strategy
    Kwanngtung would have 2 infantry, a tac, and 5 fighters. Japan can punch through this but it takes them a turn out of position for west coast crush. Then the US makes mad money and the UK has to sit on its hands till india falls

• TripleA

@oztea:

UK 1 All fleet to SZ 37 All air units Kwangtung Minor Factory Kwangtung save 4 IPCs
    UK 2 Fleet to sz 20, 4 infantry from malaya to Kwangtung, fleet to SZ 20, build Carrier, transport, infantry
    UK 3 Attack Japan with 6 infantry, fighter, tactical bomber, crusier bombard, battleship bombard

what can you build on j3, 10 infantry?

whatever you leave behind to stop this takes away from the attack on the US

hello oztea, thanks for the ideas.

i am just trying to figure out if a usa capture is possible(not if it is the best strategy, and all the ripple effects)

no you can not completely ignore this. but like hobbes smartly pointed out on j2 you abandon the attempt to capture usa and take the mainland factory. this is not showing that the capture of usa is possible, but does show this counter does not work.

• TripleA

@Gwlachmai:

I predict this strat will never be beaten!

i disagree.

this shows the strat will fail 55% of the time. and the 45% of the time j can capture usa, i still do not know if it is a winning strategy, or if uk can win the war.

• TripleA

@oztea:

come june this wont matter one bit
    eastern US stuff and money makes this strat impossible in the global game

you are right that in the global game there is no possible way to capture the usa. but you are missing something important

the pacific is a game unto itself. it will still matter when playing the pacific game. i find this game very fun and see myself continuing to play it after europe is released, if for no other reason the global game will take even longer to play.

• @allweneedislove:

@Gwlachmai:

I predict this strat will never be beaten!

i disagree.

this shows the strat will fail 55% of the time. and the 45% of the time j can capture usa, i still do not know if it is a winning strategy, or if uk can win the war.

Nope, I’m pretty sure this strat cannot be beaten.

• TripleA

@oztea:

then the US is spared
    The UK has to do something stupid to save the US to beat this strategy
    Kwanngtung would have 2 infantry, a tac, and 5 fighters. Japan can punch through this but it takes them a turn out of position for west coast crush. Then the US makes mad money and the UK has to sit on its hands till india falls

if the uk does something stupid to save the usa, like loading kwangtung with all its airforce and building an complex, then japan gets to easily smash all uk air units, steal the new complex on japans 2nd turn. they abandon the attempt to capture usa and win the game easily.

again this does not show that a capture usa strategy can work, just that this uk counter strategy is not the best play. i really want to find out if the strategy is possible, and if so, is it a winning strategy.

• TripleA

@squirecam:

AWNIL has 4 inf, 8 inf, then 10 tanks. An extra inf, or an inf changed to a tank, could make a difference given the % is 45. It may be reduced to below 40%.

[EDIT: 1 extra inf drops the % from 44 to 37% Two extra inf down to 28%]

hi squirecam, thanks for the input.

you are correct that an extra inf, or and inf upgraded to a tank would reduce the odds below 40%. but i beleive i have shown the maximum defensive purchases for the usa.

can you show us a usa purchase that would be better? or if i have made a mistake in the usa purchases where the mistake is?

right now with maximum japanese assault purchases and movements, countered by maximum usa/anzac deffensive purchases and movements, JAPAN CAPTURES USA 45% OF THE GAMES.

• I just think these kind of games are really lame. Just like the old capture UK first turn with Germany. It defeats the purpose of playing the game. If the gamble fails, welll I suppose Japan just lose? If the gamble wins, then the game is over?

• Yup, especially in light of it having a 1 in 3 chance of actually working.

• @Omega:

I just think these kind of games are really lame. Just like the old capture UK first turn with Germany. It defeats the purpose of playing the game. If the gamble fails, welll I suppose Japan just lose? If the gamble wins, then the game is over?

Good for you. I’m glad your not the one making the game, b/c this is the best a and a game yet. There are so many flaws in your reasoning, but let me just point out some main and obvious ones. If Japan is able to capture the U.S… if, then the allies actually still have a good chance at winning. Next, no one is going to go all out on a 45% chance of success. The only way any player would go for the U.S. is if they thought that they could get away with the best buys for Japan, while somehow fooling the U.S. player. An surprise attack. So that’s kind of what this game is all about, and it’s the best game b/c you have a choice, with a chance of victory with every choice, whether it’s a go at U.K., china, ANZAC, Hawaii, or the Western U.S. No one said that you had to do the gamble, and it’s not a gamble for the game. It’s a gamble for the West U.S., which is very different. If you would surrender, then maybe your just no good and didn’t play the game right as the other allies. Don’t blame the game first before considering whether or not you yourself are in the wrong.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m