The National Hockey League … how much do you care?

• CC, I agree with you on the hope that the lockout will kill so much interest in the South that those teams will no longer be able to survive.

And jamitjames, unfortunately I am disputing your claim of being the only one happy about the lockout ;) The League is SO incredibly screwed up - it’s truly beyond repair, apparently - that a lockout is the only thing possible to get the NHL even remotely back on track. You and I share the same greatest fear - that a crappy deadline deal, worse than the original, would be signed for the sole purpose of salvaging some of the season. Thankfully, that hasn’t happened yet (knock on wood).

Yanny, doubtless American markets can pull in more money because a) the USA has 10x the population of Canada, b) there is much more business in the USA and c) the american dollar is much stronger than the loonie. But I’ve seen Devils games on TV - and the arena looks half-empty (even after a Stanley Cup campaign). Florida’s arena is even worse. Atlanta’s is pretty bad, too. Same with Washington, Buffalo, Chicago, Boston, Nashville, Phoenix, Anaheim … etc. A couple of years ago, the average Islanders attendance was hovering around 6,000!

Sadly, the money is in the States, meaning the true fans - whom aren’t in the South, unless they’ve migrated for the winter (and if that’s the case, they’re weak ;)) - get shafted.

About 10 million people watched Canada beat the USA in the 2002 Olympic Men’s Gold Medal game. I’m 99.9% sure that that number is higher than the American equivalent. If there are “more” fans in the States, why are the ratings and attendances continually lower?

Last night, more than 14,000 people watched the Calgary Hitmen beat the Kamloops Blazers. Back in 1999, a sold-out Saddledome watched the Hitmen beat the Blazers, this time for the WHL Championship (I am proud to say I sat in the front row for that game!). The Islander’s attendance used to hover around 7,000 … our junior team pulls at least that every night!

Perhaps the money is there, but the interest is NOT. Most Americans would not miss the NHL - or even notice if it was gone.

I’ll agree that a successful New York team helps the League - but that doesn’t apply to the NHL only. If the Rangers were to become successful, a little bit of the NE USA would be interested … and the rest of the country couldn’t give a flying … anything.

I just don’t see Nashville becoming a “hockey hotbed”. I maintain that they do have a better chance than most other teams down there, but I still don’t see it happening.

Any attempt by Canada to pull out of an NHL will pretty much result in Canada’s new hockey league being the CFL all over again, with the real players going to the USA.

Ah, Yanny, you have found one of my buttons. The CFL-NFL debate.

If a new professional Canadian hockey league was to exist - with the Maple Leafs, Canadiens, Senators, Oilers, Flames and Canucks - and if this new League played for the Stanley Cup (which it damned well SHOULD, since it’s the only country with any legitimate claim to the Cup!), the League would be incredibly successful in Canada. Player salaries would be higher than CFL salaries, for sure, but compared to NFL/NBA/MLB salaries, they’d be relatively low.

If a new league were to attempt to start up in the States … I’m sorry, I don’t see it working. With no interest, no Stanley Cup, and the difficulty of starting new leagues in low-demand markets, I can’t imagine it being more successful - at least to the extent where a Canadian league would be destroyed.

You see, most of the players who move from the CFL to the NFL have grown up dreaming of playing in the NFL - because they’re American. Yet every hockey fan in Canada has dreamt of winning the Stanley Cup, and has likely enacted it at least once. Countless kids have dreamt of playing for the Leafs, Habs, etc. If the money was decent - ie, on par with Euro leagues - I would bet you that the big-name players would play in Canada (since they are mostly Canadian … etc).

hockey is indeed a major sport in the United States, and that the NHL belongs there more than in Canada.

Once again, I respectfully disagree. “Major” is relative. Compared to the NFL, NBA, MLB, NASCAR, PGA, NCAA, and the Pro Bowling Tour, the NHL is NOT major in the USA.

The four “major” sports in Canada are the NHL, CFL, NFL (sadly), NBA and MLB. The last two are present only in Toronto; I don’t consider them to be as major as the CFL, NFL and NHL. With that said, the NFL is not quite as popular among people as is the CFL, and neither of them even come CLOSE to the popularity of the NHL. You can ALWAYS start a conversation about hockey with nearly ANYONE. Hell, it’s the only thing we talk about half the time!

The NHL belongs in Canada a lot more than it does in the States, because Canadians as a whole deserve it a lot more than Americans as a whole. Not to mention that the NHL started in Canada - in 1917, with the Canadiens, Toronto Arenas (later became Leafs), Ottawa Senators and Montreal Wanderers (who withdrew after 6 games because their arena burnt down). From 1893 to 1916, only Canadian teams won the Stanley Cup. From 1918 to 1927, only Canadian teams won the Stanley Cup. Before 1994, the longest stretch of the Cup staying in the States was 6 years ('36-'41 - Detroit twice, Boston twice, Rangers and Hawks once each). From 1944 to 1969, the Cup left Canada 5 times - 4 of which were with the Red Wings. There was a team from Alberta in the Cup final from 1983 to 1990. Perhaps most telling, out of the 110 years the Cup has been awarded, only 38 of those years has it been awarded to an American team. The Cup itself has actually been awarded 145 times (there were 15 years with multiple challenges) - still, only 38 times to American teams.

Sorry to go off for so long - but the NHL absolutely belongs in Canada more than it does in the States.

• Ok, time for some serious response. Gota love this (possible career in sports writing for me)

their last seasons they were in the divisional playoff and actually did quite well. We had some FAST players (Zhamnov, Selanne), one of the best goal-tenders in the league (Khabbiboulin), and some great enforcers (Tie Domi, Chris King).

They did not do quite well. I know my NHL CC :) The Jets were 36-40 and made the last place seed of the playoffs, and quickly lost to the Red Wings. Selanne was traded away because of financial problems. Khabbiboulin wasn’t a great goalie in 1996, and enforcers aren’t exactly what win you Stanley Cups.

that’s two strikes Yanny. Check out the MTS center in Downtown Winnipeg.

The MTS center seats 15,000 if I remember correctly. That would give Winnipeg the worst Arena in hockey, by a margin of over 3,000 seats. I’m not entirely sure if the Arena has luxery boxes, but I would be surprised if they had any of the high priced ones.

CC, I agree with you on the hope that the lockout will kill so much interest in the South that those teams will no longer be able to survive.

If immediate interest were required for those franchises to survive, the franchises would have folded long ago. They are there for the long term for many reasons, mostly to grow the sport that you and I love. More on this later.

Yanny, doubtless American markets can pull in more money because a) the USA has 10x the population of Canada, b) there is much more business in the USA and c) the american dollar is much stronger than the loonie. But I’ve seen Devils games on TV - and the arena looks half-empty (even after a Stanley Cup campaign). Florida’s arena is even worse. Atlanta’s is pretty bad, too. Same with Washington, Buffalo, Chicago, Boston, Nashville, Phoenix, Anaheim … etc. A couple of years ago, the average Islanders attendance was hovering around 6,000!

Learn a little about hockey for a second here. First off, no Arena is half empty. The lowest average attendence figure in the NHL is ~60% full (Carolina, Pittsburgh, Chicago). Every other Arena averages over 75% full. The Devils Arena looks more empty than it really is for two reasons. 1) Our lower bowl seats are 80 bucks a ticket every game and b) The camera doesn’t focus on most of the upper bowl. If I wanted to buy say 4 tickets together in the upper bowl the day of the game, I probably couldn’t unless we were playing the Pens or something. The Devils averaged over 85% full when facing teams over .500.

Lets look at the other franchises that you named. Chicago is the poorest run franchise in professional sports and the Chicago Wolves (AHL) outdraws them by 2000. Boston fills 90% of the small Fleet Center. Phoneix posts 16k per game at high ticket prices. Washington filled 85% of their Arena in 2002 (80% this year with the 3rd worst record in hockey). Buffalo, Anaheim, and the Isles all have poor attendence records but all suffer from poor and small Arenas. The Isles in particular fill up 90% of their Arena and still manage to fill only 14,900 seats.

About 10 million people watched Canada beat the USA in the 2002 Olympic Men’s Gold Medal game. I’m 99.9% sure that that number is higher than the American equivalent. If there are “more” fans in the States, why are the ratings and attendances continually lower?

38 million watched the game.

http://www.moxie.canoe.ca/2002GamesHockeyFeb02/25_rat-ap.html

If a new professional Canadian hockey league was to exist - with the Maple Leafs, Canadiens, Senators, Oilers, Flames and Canucks - and if this new League played for the Stanley Cup (which it damned well SHOULD, since it’s the only country with any legitimate claim to the Cup!), the League would be incredibly successful in Canada. Player salaries would be higher than CFL salaries, for sure, but compared to NFL/NBA/MLB salaries, they’d be relatively low.

If a new league were to attempt to start up in the States … I’m sorry, I don’t see it working. With no interest, no Stanley Cup, and the difficulty of starting new leagues in low-demand markets, I can’t imagine it being more successful - at least to the extent where a Canadian league would be destroyed.

You see, most of the players who move from the CFL to the NFL have grown up dreaming of playing in the NFL - because they’re American. Yet every hockey fan in Canada has dreamt of winning the Stanley Cup, and has likely enacted it at least once. Countless kids have dreamt of playing for the Leafs, Habs, etc. If the money was decent - ie, on par with Euro leagues - I would bet you that the big-name players would play in Canada (since they are mostly Canadian … etc).

Canada cannot pay anything close to what the United States can. You have 6 NHL teams. Add in 2 or 3 more (lets call them Hamilton, Quebec City, and Winnipeg). Thats 9 teams. Currently, only Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver can turn a profit. That means that the league won’t be able to pay players very much, especially considering the US corporate sponsorships being cut off. The US can counter with these 9 teams: New York Rangers, Minnesota, Boston, St. Louis, Dallas, Colorado, Los Angeles, Detroit, and Philly. The US version of that 9 team league would be worth ~232 million a piece. The average Canadian franchise is worth 161.3 million. The average will be brought down with the addition of the three financially weaker teams plus the withdrawl of American teams. If the teams are lucky, each franchise will be worth an average of 100 million, and thats pushing it.

Players will go where the money is. The Euro leagues for the most part pay minor league salaries. A few clubs in each league pay for stars (Kazan in Russia for example). The Stanley Cup is owned by the NHL Board of Governors, 2/3 of which are American, and not by Canada.

Once again, I respectfully disagree. “Major” is relative. Compared to the NFL, NBA, MLB, NASCAR, PGA, NCAA, and the Pro Bowling Tour, the NHL is NOT major in the USA.

NASCAR, regardless of what they think they are, is not a major sport in America. NASCAR holds a handful of events per year in a handful of cities. They haul in a small amount compared to what the real pro sports leagues bring in, and most of that is from tasteless advertising. The NHL, MLB, and NBA each hold thousands of events per year, and each make over 2 billion. 2 billion by the way is more than the movie industry in the United States. The PGA is not a major sport, and I hope the Pro Bowling Tour was a joke.

People who think that these things “sports” are major are reading the wrong crazy columnist from the Toronto Sun. If I turn on AM channels 660 or 1050, I’m not going to listen to Mike and the Mad Dog talk about pro bowling. I might catch a whiff of pro Golf, but only if Tiger or someone has done something important. These programs (and most American media) talk about four different sports: Baseball, Basketball, Football, and Hockey. Thats it. No NASCAR. No Bowling. I can’t run into Models and buy myself a Dale Earnhart Jr. jersey.

Hockey doesn’t get good rating on National TV. Great. Hockey still gets excellent local ratings (NJ Devils - 20m/y from cablevision). Hockey still makes 2 billion a year.

The US is on the verge of a major transition in hockey. US players wills soon be the equals of Canadian or any other country. I give it 10 years before the US really starts to take off. Right now, we’re seeing loads of US prospects in the 2005 and 2006 draft. After Crosby, Johnson and Ryan could very well go #2 and #3 in front of the rapidly dropping Brule. In 2006 Kessel could go #1. Players like Zach Parise, Chris Bourque, Ryan Suter, and others are going to be forces very soon. And I really hope Paul Martin wins a Norris one day :)

• @Yanny:

their last seasons they were in the divisional playoff and actually did quite well. We had some FAST players (Zhamnov, Selanne), one of the best goal-tenders in the league (Khabbiboulin), and some great enforcers (Tie Domi, Chris King).

They did not do quite well. I know my NHL CC :) The Jets were 36-40 and made the last place seed of the playoffs, and quickly lost to the Red Wings. Selanne was traded away because of financial problems. Khabbiboulin wasn’t a great goalie in 1996, and enforcers aren’t exactly what win you Stanley Cups.

OH MY GOODNESS!!!
    i didn’t know that you needed better than .500 seasons in order to have an NHL team! I guess you’re right - Winnipeg definitely doesn’t deserve to have another NHL team on that basis - regardless of any other mitigating circumstances.

that’s two strikes Yanny. Check out the MTS center in Downtown Winnipeg.

The MTS center seats 15,000 if I remember correctly. That would give Winnipeg the worst Arena in hockey, by a margin of over 3,000 seats. I’m not entirely sure if the Arena has luxery boxes, but I would be surprised if they had any of the high priced ones.

regardless - you were wrong. We’ve got a new arena, it has around 50 box seats (including 2 “party” boxes), and besides - who cares??
    I mean let’s say it’s a 20 000 capacity arena, and we only fill 14000 seats. Is that more impressive than if we manage to nearly sell-out a 15 000 seat arena?

CC, I agree with you on the hope that the lockout will kill so much interest in the South that those teams will no longer be able to survive.

If immediate interest were required for those franchises to survive, the franchises would have folded long ago. They are there for the long term for many reasons, mostly to grow the sport that you and I love. More on this later.

we’re speculating on the fickleness of Americans and the constant craving for novelty. We’re thinking that without constant hockey to keep their attention, they’ll stop caring about it before long. You see, you are the exception (in our minds).

on a per capita basis, we out-rank you (i.e. 38 million is a lot longer than the equivalent 100 million).

Canada cannot pay anything close to what the United States can. You have 6 NHL teams. Add in 2 or 3 more (lets call them Hamilton, Quebec City, and Winnipeg). Thats 9 teams. Currently, only Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver can turn a profit. That means that the league won’t be able to pay players very much, especially considering the US corporate sponsorships being cut off. The US can counter with these 9 teams: New York Rangers, Minnesota, Boston, St. Louis, Dallas, Colorado, Los Angeles, Detroit, and Philly. The US version of that 9 team league would be worth ~232 million a piece. The average Canadian franchise is worth 161.3 million. The average will be brought down with the addition of the three financially weaker teams plus the withdrawl of American teams. If the teams are lucky, each franchise will be worth an average of 100 million, and thats pushing it.

this is sadly true. There are many more corporate HQ’s in these cities which can purchase many more seats etc. I would be curious how many seats are purchased by “Joe American” as opposed to by corporations, with a relative comparison with Canadian franchises. I mean you’re right - the average hockey fan can not afford $80 tickets, however when i was a sales rep, i could purchase tix all the time to various sporting events and charge them back to the company. Right now, i could not afford to go to one of those games, never mind purchase season tickets for my “family”.

• '19 Moderator

I small interjection from a 'yotes fan. Last year I got two pairs of tickets from one of my vendors that had a $75 face. I was not that familiar with the AWA (the old Arena) but I figured that $75 tickets would be sweet.

Well I get there and I had to take my jacket off because we were so far from the Ice. I can’t imagine what the price of tickets would have been like if we were down in the good seats.

The prices were suposed to come down with the new Arena, But they don’t look much different to me.

That is why attendance is lower here.

How much do you all pay for seats?

• How much do you all pay for seats?

All lower bowl seats cost 80 dollars and the upper bowl seats range from 20 to 45 dollars.

I also hear that the new Arena in Arizona has a ton of obstructed seats. Is this true?

• CanucKev,
    I live in Kansas City, Missouri.

• '19 Moderator

@Yanny:

All lower bowl seats cost 80 dollars and the upper bowl seats range from 20 to 45 dollars.

I also hear that the new Arena in Arizona has a ton of obstructed seats. Is this true?

Lower level seats here start at 100 and there are a few seats if your not afraid of heights that you can get for 15 but you probably have to bring a TV with you to see the game.

It was realy bad at the America West Arena, and a big issue for the design on the new Glendale Arena so I don’t think so, but I haven’t been there myself.

• Lizard - I gained you were a Chiefs fan in other convo, didn’t realize you lived in MO. I grew up down I-70 in Salina, made the 2 1/2 drive to Arrowhead every home game there for quite a few years…in the mid 80’s Dad bought 4 season tickets for 100/seat per game…by the time Montana came and Pop’s gave up on the Chiefs, the tickets were running like 250/seat…it was sick. Those were upper level, like 5 rows up off the railing around the 40 yard line…excellant seats but nothing like the Gold Ring was, those were almost double if memory serves per seat and the only thing you were gaining was the upper level shielding you from the elements and better vendoers :D Figured I would chime in on what I knew about football season ticket pricing to compare, haven’t taken in a Caps game since moving out here, just waiting for April and my first Nationals game.

• Haxor,
    I am on the season ticket list. Cost $20 but now I am set as soon as I can afford the actual tickets. I just keep telling them to leave me on the list and I will buy em next season. Hee hee.
    My Grandfather and Dad where crazy Cheifs fans. My first memory (literally) was when Dad and Grandpa took me to a Memorial Stadium game. Before they moved to the new digs at Arrowhead. Now I can’t remember how we did, I was only 4, but I remember the atmosphere. KC is an awsome football city. I did not make a game this year, but I like to get in at least 1. It’s just such a rush being there with such great fans.

• The fans man…it gets so loud during a Raiders or Bronco’s game…some very happy thoughts of going to games, getting some brauts and screaming till you couldn’t talk at school the next day.

Sorry for hijacking the thread guys, it’s all yours again. Go Caps!

• This helps my case - a discussion about hockey is quickly changed to one about football :)

Lizard, were you ever a KC Scouts fan? (For the few years they were around.) Appropriately, are you now a Devils fan?

Haxor, I’m not bashing you in the least - nor am I bashing your preference - but just waiting for baseball season to start, and having never been to a Caps game, also helps my case! :) I’m going to be a Nationals fan … mostly because they were the Expos :( (Montreal’s loss is Washington’s gain, eh?) It helps that they chose a good name for the team (as oppose to something silly like “Rage” or “Power” or otherwise XFL-ish)

Anyway, back to the damned NHL (who are now apparently changing their logo - which, to my knowledge, has remained the same since 1917 - presumably in order to attract non-traditional fans).

Dezrt -

Well I get there and I had to take my jacket off because we were so far from the Ice.

Is it colder at ice level? (this isn’t supposed to sound sarcastic; I’m just curious)

Now, Yanny … ;)

The most expensive door-price ticket to a Flames game is $183.50 (including taxes; Canadian dollars). Using the current exchange rate of about 0.80Cdn = 1.00US, that works out to about $146.80 American. And I’ve heard many times that Calgary had the lowest prices in the League.
    These prices were much higher during the playoffs - tickets were being sold on ebay for upwards of $500 Canadian (and that’s a very conservative estimate) - and the Saddledome STILL sold out. This wasn’t just as the playoffs went on - this was during Round 1, too. I doubt the Coyotes would have huge lineups (with more people in them than can fit in the arena) for tickets for their first playoff home game.

In Ottawa, the highest game-day ticket price is $190 Canadian.
    So the argument that attendance is low just because prices are high doesn’t hold water.

Up until '99, the Leafs played in Maple Leaf Gardens, which had no luxury boxes and did not hold much more than 15,000.

When the Senators entered the NHL back in '92, they played in Ottawa’s Civic Centre (the current home of the 67’s). The capacity of that building is about 10,000 - and I’m pretty sure it didn’t have luxury boxes (but the Sens may have installed some prior to their first game).

That leads me to point #3 … RENOVATIONS ARE POSSIBLE! And they DON’T have to be done before the team plays!

A 15,000 seat arena is not bad at all. The old Winnipeg Arena was not much bigger (if at all) - and that’s NOT the reason the Jets were forced to leave (escalating salaries and a desire to appease the Americans were).

Down in the South, a smaller arena could be bought for less - and it still wouldn’t fill up. A new Winnipeg team would fill that arena every night, and there would be a high demand for tickets (leading to high prices, which people will pay).

Another thing - Canadians WILL pay those prices in order to watch hockey (I’m not saying they’re reasonable - they ARE exorbitantly high - but still, they’re bought). In general, it appears Americans won’t. Tampa Bay’s cheapest seats for the Stanley Cup finals were $8 - and they still didn’t fill up. Calgary’s were at least $30.

Oh yeah, good time for another beef. Calgary’s “Sea of Red” was done without ANY prompting from the media, and without handing out ANY red clothing. The fans did it completely of their own initiative; they went out and found something red to wear (generally, a jersey). Tampa’s “Bay of White” was made by handing out white t-shirts to everyone who walked through the doors. Whose fans are more passionate?

How long is “immediate”? The Panthers have been around since 1993, and still can’t draw flies - even after having made it to the Stanley Cup Final. Phoenix has been around since '96. Anaheim, also since '93. Nashville, since '98. Tampa, since '92 (and trust me, they do NOT get good crowds unless the team is DOMINANT - and I suspect there won’t be good crowds in the future, either). Carolina, since '97. Islanders since '72, Devils since ‘82 (btw, apparently Devils’ Stanley Cup parades are held in a parking lot before a scattering of people). Washington, since '74. To say nothing of the fact that a team in Atlanta has failed BEFORE - lasting only 8 years.

They are ATTEMPTING to grow the sport you and I love. They are failing miserably. They are expanding past their support. To use a military analogy, they are expanding in such a sense that an enemy would be able to walk right through them.

I highly doubt the intention of all these teams in all these silly places is to “grow the sport”. I expect it is to “grow their profit”.

Bobby Hull Jr., Brett Hull’s brother, has been quoted as saying “Nobody gives a crap about hockey down here – nobody. I coach kids’ hockey down here and you can start to see the disinterest in the game here with the kids.” (http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/article.jsp?content=20050110_152323_5056)

Learn a little about hockey for a second here.

I’m offended.

The Devils Arena looks more empty than it really is for two reasons.

The fact of the matter is, it’s still awfully empty.

OK - point taken. Still, 38M/350M (at least) is MUCH less than 10M/30M. 10% vs 33% … And, it was the most watched show in Canadian TV history.

Canada cannot pay anything close to what the United States can.

As I’ve said many times before - I know. However, the US cannot come close to the fan support in Canada.

This is from a Nashville newspaper:
    http://tennessean.com/sports/predators/archives/04/09/57715843.shtml?Element_ID=57715843

Players have admitted how difficult it is to play for southern teams. Perhaps this is why the average points per division show that the two northern divisions have, on average, more points.

Your math presumes player salaries are at where they are now … $5M for Martin Lapointe, $9M for Bobby Holik sort-of-thing. Thing is, those are WAY too high (in general) and WAAAAAAY too high for the sort of money the NHL brings in.

The CFL is loved up here, but the NHL is loved even more. Do you think that’s because there are 24 American teams? Do you think it’s because American teams are “worth more” than Canadian teams? Do you think it’s because players make about $6M more than they should? Do you think it’s because the NHL has a PATHETIC US TV deal? Do you think it’s because that, even though the CBC can’t compete with ABC, ESPN, etc in terms of money, but still HNiC is more popular?

Fact is, a Canadian Pro Hockey League would not only survive up here, it would thrive. If the Stanley Cup was the goal, and if the existing NHL teams were to remain, Canadian fans would not abandon the League simply because it wasn’t called the NHL. In fact, ignoring the difference in fundraising ability, the Canadian League would likely do better than the NHL (less teams = better talent; less crappy teams = better average attendance; less warm weather = better hockey and more interest).

I’m not denying Canada can’t pay as much as the States. And yes, US corporate sponsership (or what there is of it) would be cut off. But I think you underestimate Canada’s love for hockey. Perhaps the amount of dollars would be different - but relatively, it would be much more. And, if player salaries were reasonable, the League would be fine. The salaries could easily be higher than Euro salaries. An american counterpart may try and out-bid Canada … but how long would that endeavour last with little fan support, low TV contracts (not to mention NO national deal since there’s no team in Florida - and I’m not saying that’s a bad thing), low corporate interest, and no Stanley Cup to play for?

The Stanley Cup may be “owned” by the NHL BoG, but its original intent was not for the Cup to be “owned” by any League - and as a matter of fact, the Cup is for the hockey champion of the Dominion (ie, Canada). This website says all I need to say:

http://www.freestanley.com/release1.html

“Lord Stanley is quoted as stating: “I am willing to give a cup that shall be annually held by the winning club of the Dominion.”” (ie, not any league, including the NHL).

If the NHL were to disband, and two new major pro leagues were to spring up (one in Canada and one in the States), it would be an incredibly huge travesty for the Cup to be awared to the winner of the American League.

Not many Canadians are interested in watching American teams play each other (especially if it’s something like Carolina vs Florida).

tasteless advertising

This is what the NHL is attempting, with a new logo …

I hope the Pro Bowling Tour was a joke.

Only somewhat.

These programs (and most American media) talk about four different sports: Baseball, Basketball, Football, and Hockey.

Really? How sure are you of this? Is it possible that you may get a different sampling of radio, being that you live in the New York area, and not in the South? And where does hockey come in on that spectrum? 4th? I thought so.

Fact is, you live in one of the areas in the States where hockey is appreciated, and where teams are (for the most part) deserved. New York has had an NHL team since 1925; New York has had the same NHL team since 1926 (the Americans were around before the Rangers).

Even so, it is only the Rangers that enjoy any significant support. It doesn’t hurt that the Rangers are an original six team, back from when the NHL was a very respectable league. The Islanders and Devils enjoy moderate admiration, at best.

The NE US and Minnesota area are relative “hockey hotbeds” in the States (still, when I was stopped over in a Minnesota airport, the sports store there had Vikings, T-Wolves and Twins merchandise - no hockey. And this was during the winter).

South of Colorado or Washington (and that’s pushing it), I would be VERY surprised to find much talk of hockey (anywhere).

Hockey doesn’t get good rating on National TV. Great. Hockey still gets excellent local ratings

Perhaps - in the markets mentioned above. However, as playoffs go on, more and more games are shown nationally. Still, ratings are pathetic. When the Stanley Cup rolls around, other than the two cities involved, who’s interested? If one of the cities is Canadian (eg, Calgary), well, then, all of Canada is interested. If both are Canadian, Canada is going nuts. The American ratings for this year’s Stanley Cup paled in comparison to the Canadian ratings. Last year’s Stanley Cup wasn’t much better (and the Devils won that time … )

Here’s a REALLY good article (out of Detroit). Granted it’s a bit old, but it’s not far from the truth:
    http://www.detnews.com/2002/sports/0206/03/a01-505146.htm

And here:
    http://www.usatoday.com/sports/columnist/martzke/2003-06-03-martzke_x.htm

The new NHL national US TV deal is half of what it used to be:
    http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/nhl/2004-05-19-martzke-nbc_x.htm

This mentions the Game 7 rating for the 2003 Final - yes, Devils vs Ducks. New York vs LA. The rating is 4.6. That’s about the rating for your average Frasier episode - ranked 32nd in the nation at the time. Games 1 and 2 drew 1.4 and 1.1 - some show called “Push, Nevada” got a 1.4 average.
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_game/jon_dolezar/news/2003/06/10/hockey_ontv/

Here’s one with reference to Boston:
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4695614/

I’m sure I’ve made my point; but I can come up with more if you like (in particular, numbers from this past Stanley Cup).

I’m very passionate about hockey … and I hope this isn’t offensive ;)

• No offense taken at all…back home in Kansas there is a team called the Wichita Thunder which I think is some form of minor league team for the San Jose Sharks. It’s just hard growing up in Kansas to get excited about hockey, but I was totally planning on going to come Caps games as it sounded like a good time, was just a mess where I lived prior getting in and out of DC, with me close to a metro stop now I can ride in to the MCI center and watch them play…if they ever play again. :(

• '19 Moderator

Well maybe it’s just my experiences with hockey that are off base. Before we got the Coyotes, we had the Roadrunners they were an IHL team that played at the Coloseum in Phoenix. I went to quite a few of those games. The tickets were like $20 and you sat in the lower level. They had $1 beer nights and it was a great time. I would get together with 3 or 4 buddies and go. It didn’t break the bank and maybe it was just the arena, but it was cold. It was part of the experience and I liked it.

• I hear ya dezrt … those experiences are the best. The Saddledome is quite warm, but most other rinks in Calgary are good and cold :) The outdoor ones are the best; good memories there. To me, it’s just not hockey if it’s not cold … but that’s my Canadian bias :-?
    The cheap prices are always great, too. We’ve got the Hitmen (a junior team) and their tickets are $11 for students. It’s great hockey, a lot of fun to watch … I’ve got some of my best memories from those guys (sitting in the front row in a sold-out Saddledome when they won the League championship!) Of course, my absolute best memories are from the Flame’s playoff run … <sigh>Fortunately, except for the Flames sports in Calgary are quite affordable (and relative to the rest of the NHL, the Flames really aren’t that bad at all!) The Stampeders (Canadian Football League) charge as low as $100 for a season ticket - $10 a game. My season’s cost $140 … $14 a game is a helluva deal! The Roughnecks (NLL - you a ‘Sting’ fan?) charge $25.50 per game … which I think is a bit much given that it’s a relatively new and less popular sport in Calgary, but what are you gonna do. Personally, I think the value I get for CFL games is incredible. Great football, low price!</sigh>

• @CanucKev:

And jamitjames, unfortunately I am disputing your claim of being the only one happy about the lockout ;) The League is SO incredibly screwed up - it’s truly beyond repair, apparently - that a lockout is the only thing possible to get the NHL even remotely back on track. You and I share the same greatest fear - that a crappy deadline deal, worse than the original, would be signed for the sole purpose of salvaging some of the season. Thankfully, that hasn’t happened yet (knock on wood).

Thats good to hear your on the same page :)

• Completely … I’m more than willing to go a season without the NHL (I love the Flames, and I love the Canadian teams in general, and I love hockey … but I hate the NHL, because it’s so screwed up) if it means a deal that will fix the League - ie, allow survival and competitive ability of the franchises that matter the most to the League, ie, those in traditional areas, and those that support the sport the most. If a few of the non-traditional cities are lost, that’s OK too ;)

I think contraction is necessary for this to be a GOOD league. To me, the problem with the NHL is that it’s a (relatively) small league, trying to be a big one. It’s trying to be something it’s not, and, surprise, it’s not working. If it was to admit that it’s not going to be able to compete with the NFL, NBA and MLB (which is fine), then it will be more than successful for its size. There is nothing wrong with being a smaller league. Players can take a huge cut in salary and still be the best-paid hockey players in the world (easily). I love using the CFL as an example. True, it’s had some tough times - but currently, it’s sticking to its roots and not trying to grow beyond its means. As a result, it is thriving in Canada.

I suggest a smaller League - 20 teams or so. Get out of the South, except for MAYBE LA and Dallas (I’m not sold at all on whether Dallas can support a team, but they seem to be doing alright … LA has shown they can support the Kings). So, there’s two teams. Keep Colorado, Detroit, Chicago, Boston, the Rangers, Philly, Minnesota, and either Pittsburgh or one other from the New York area (Islanders, Devils, Sabres). My personal choice would be the Sabres. I wouldn’t mind seeing a team in Seattle. Of course, keep the current 6 Canadian teams, and ideally add teams in Quebec City and Winnipeg again, and perhaps Hamilton.

That’s about 20 teams … easily two conferences of 10, four divisions of 5. Each team could play a 64-game schedule: 6 games against each divisional opponent, 4 games against each team in your conference’s other division, and 2 games against each team in the other conference.

6 or 7 teams from each conference could make the playoffs (6 teams: division winners get byes; 7 teams: conference champion gets a bye). Of course, series would still be 4/7.

This would increase the talent in the League, make each game more meaningful, tire the players out less (hence better hockey) and be good for the game all-around.

As for the game itself, dump the OT loss point, and DON’T EVEN THINK ABOUT INTRODUCING A SHOOTOUT. I hate the shootout idea. It’s another gimmick to entice the non-hockey fan, in order to make an extra buck. A shootout gives NO justice to one of the most important concepts in hockey: teamwork. A goalie can have an off-night, but if his defence hangs in there, they can still come out with the win. However, if there’s a shootout, the goalie is hung out to dry, and his entire team is saddled with a loss.

I’m alright with 4-on-4 OT, but I’d rather they bring back the 5-on-5. How to make the two teams fight it out for a win, instead of settling for a tie? Make a win worth 3 points. Soccer did the change, and it worked out great. Tie is one point; loss (in OT or not) is 0 points.

For everyone who would complain about the old records for most points in a season being gypped, well, they really already are thanks to that lovely “OT loss” crap …

Keep the 2-line-pass offside. Move the nets back. Allow the goalie to play the puck!!! That’s part of the game!!! Make a crease that surrounds the net - and if the goalie plays the puck outside of that, he’s fair game to be hit. Simplify the offside rule (tag-up). And so on …

Geez … I hate the NHL. ;) It better improve itself. Still love the Flames … hate the NHL.

• '19 Moderator

I am generaly only interested in games I’ve played. And I have no I dea how to play Lacrosse and as of now have no interest. Allthough the was I time I wasn’t interested in Baseball either.

• You know CK - as long as we are building a fantasy “it would be nice but prolly won’t happen” league, why not give Atlantic Canada a team? Heck - i’d go to Halifax just to party, nevermind to see a hockey game. Also i think that if you built an areana equidistant between S-toon and Regina, you’d capture a massive, rabid/fanatical hockey market (look at how well the Roughriders do in getting fans into Regina).

@dezrtfish:

I am generaly only interested in games I’ve played. And I have no I dea how to play Lacrosse and as of now have no interest. Allthough the was I time I wasn’t interested in Baseball either.

Hockey/Lacrosse - violent Canadians beatting the crap out of each other while carrying sticks and trying to get a small object into a (relatively) small net.
    Baseball - boring Americans beating the crap out of a small object while trying to get it as far away from everyone else as possible, while the others think about post-game drinking.

• '19 Moderator

@cystic:

Baseball - boring Americans beating the crap out of a small object while trying to get it as far away from everyone else as possible, while the others think about post-game drinking.

What’s boring about that? Beating the crap out of stuff and drinking, two of my favorite past times. ;)

• You know CK - as long as we are building a fantasy “it would be nice but prolly won’t happen” league, why not give Atlantic Canada a team? Heck - i’d go to Halifax just to party, nevermind to see a hockey game. Also i think that if you built an areana equidistant between S-toon and Regina, you’d capture a massive, rabid/fanatical hockey market (look at how well the Roughriders do in getting fans into Regina).

That would be ideal … it would be much more unlikely than teams in Winnipeg, Quebec and Hamilton, but it would be sweet nonetheless. I’m sure a team in Saskatoon would do pretty well on its own (I’m not sure what else there is to do in Saskatchewan other than watch sports and drink, anyway!) I think Regina and Saskatoon are about 3 hrs away from each other … Did you know that in '83, the Blues were sold to a group from Saskatoon, but the NHL rejected the sale? … the Saskatoon Blues … interesting ;)

Ah well … I was focusing on cities that have had teams, or could very likely support one … but it would be incredible if there was a team in every province from BC to Quebec, and a team for the maritimes, too.

Which reminds me … Quebec has one team, florida has two; Ontario has two teams, california has three … ???

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m