• '19 Moderator

I haven’t played with an inexperienced player in probably ten years. :P

I can’t stand IPC victory. I know its supposed to help the Axis, but it seems like a cheep victory and even when I am axis I prefer not to use it.

• '19 Moderator

@haxorboy:

People it is hard enough waiting to move to civilization next month,

Where are you going?

• Arlington, VA, figure what a better place to work and try to scare up a game of Axis every now and again. Can’t help but think it wouldn’t be too hard what with maybe just a few military type minded people around me :D

• @haxorboy:

Arlington, VA, figure what a better place to work and try to scare up a game of Axis every now and again. Can’t help but think it wouldn’t be too hard what with maybe just a few military type minded people around me :D

that’s a beautiful part of the world.

• @JoePar22:

Just a thought…but how many of you play by the rule of IPC victory?
    JoePar22

I hope everyone does since it is not an optional rule. :D I like the IPC victory rule because it keeps the Allies honest in that they have to fight everywhere and can not focus on just the German capital. I think what annoys people is it is possible to win without the Axis taking even 1 capital.

• Never, you need to capture 2 capitals to win

• How can you play without IPC victory. Do you really expect the Axis to be able to take two of the capitals? I have never seen the Axis win any way, but IPC, and would think the game would go one far too long if you made the Axis take two capitals

• '19 Moderator

If te axis is strong enough to get one Capital they are usualy strong enough to get another eventualy this leads to the allies generaly concieding and if the Axis get to 84 IPC’s they are usualy well on the way to getting that capital.

IMO the “magic 84” just shortens the enevitable

when I play if I am axis and I get to 84 I start asking the allies if they give up yet.

• The places and folks I’ve played with agree with dzfish.

ME, TOO!

• Hello, I’m new to this site, however I’d like to point out that if you play the game on the computer as I do, the IPC victory is optional. I bought the board game new the year it came out and have been playing for years on and off. Even against experienced players it is completely possible to take over the world as the axis. The key is to take the Russian capital and hold it. Soon after, Asia will fall. To weaken your enemy, once you have the upper hand, bomb the hell out of his factories. If he has no money, he can’t buy more troops. He is dead. Taking Russia, however is not easy. Against an experienced player, you’ll have to hit it from Japan and Germany before U.K. and USA can mobilize. :o

• You HAVE to play with IPC victory! I can´t imagine a game where the Axis get a combined 84 IPC and still somehow manage to lose. As it is the game lasts 7 hours, why would you want it to last another 7? Or 70 for that matter if the Allies decided to build only inf to protect their capitals.

• @morten200:

You HAVE to play with IPC victory! I can´t imagine a game where the Axis get a combined 84 IPC and still somehow manage to lose. As it is the game lasts 7 hours, why would you want it to last another 7? Or 70 for that matter if the Allies decided to build only inf to protect their capitals.

The only time magic 84 does not seem right is when the Axis stretch themselves so thin to reach 84. Many times this will include putting expensive units on the front lines where the Allies could easily crush on the next turn. Also, the Axis sometimes get out of position where it would take many turns for them to recover.

It is not always the case where Axis at 84 means that they would have won, especially if it was acheived in rounds 4-6.

• hey, new guy here, ive only had the game a few months, but the IPC rule seems kinda cheap, realistcally, do you think the allies would have given if if hitler won the lottery? dont think so, the axis wernt in it to get rich quick, they wanted land and power. so make them go for the capitols, its eaiser than it sounds with some smart thinking by the axis team. strenghten the russian border for a 1 or 2 turns and nail the british capitol, with the brits out of the way, you can concentrate more forces on taking russia. you dont have to worry about the americans for at least 2 turns, then just defend the beach heads and your done!

• I usually don’t like the IPC victory. For the same reason laststrike mentioned, I feel it’s too much a “save by the bell” victory.
    On the other hand Zero pointed out a good reason why it should be considered. It gives more options to the Axis wich results in more diversity in game development.
    Unfortunately, because of the dynamics of the game, I think it favors more the gamble victory for the axis. And if Japan achieves to get the Axis to the magic 84 on his turn, only US can try to do something about it.

Maybe a solution would be to extend by a turn the period the Axis have to hold to the magic 84. Meaning if the Axis reach the magic 84 on Gn or Jn they would have to keep it until the end of USn+1 to win. An other solution would be to require that the Axis hold 1 of the Allies capital to be able to claim the IPC victory. Or maybe both but then it seems a bit too difficult for the Axis.

What do you think ?

• All right, I am kind of new to this site, and some people are going to say this is stupid, but generally when I play, we only play up to a point where there is no longer a reasonable doubt as to the outcome. For example, if the Axis have conquered all of Asia and Africa, they could have an IPC victory, but if there’s still a reasonable chance of the Allies winning, we keep on going. Of course, that won’t happen when the Allies are winning, but c’est la vie.

• I agree with Grigoriy Ivanovitch, that’s how we play too.

• @Grigoriy:

All right, I am kind of new to this site, and some people are going to say this is stupid, but generally when I play, we only play up to a point where there is no longer a reasonable doubt as to the outcome. For example, if the Axis have conquered all of Asia and Africa, they could have an IPC victory, but if there’s still a reasonable chance of the Allies winning, we keep on going. Of course, that won’t happen when the Allies are winning, but c’est la vie.

yeah, this generally makes sense. Even if IPC victory seems inevitable, well, then we usually just roll out for Moscow and then forget about IPC victory as well (unless a ton of troops are poised to take Germany.
    I don’t like the “saved by the bell” technique either, but i guess i’d use it if i were axis too . . . .

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m