• @Brain:

I like Germany having the option of attacking France or Russia first.

Agree totally.

Not getting into which is the better strategy, the German player should have both options available to him.

• You always have the choice. Each should have advantage and disadvantage. Some have bigger disadvantages, others less.

• Customizer

My understanding is that the game begins with the invasion of France already underway.  It would be folly for Germany to break this off unfinished to attack Russia. 
    Perhaps Larry decided that a 1939 scenario giving Germany the option to go East or West just couldn’t work.

The idea of Soviet units all fighting at 1 to represent the lack of leadership is interesting; but I repeat that the main reason the Germans did so well at first was that Russian units were deployed for attack; i.e. the air force was distributed amongst front line formations and was destroyed on the ground.

And, again, that the lack of rail movement cripples the scenario.  Germany and Russia moved their units overwhelmingly by rail, while the other powers relied largely on naval transport.  Unless Germany build a huge transport fleet in the Baltic (which it cannot afford), or builds a second invasion army in Berlin (which it cannot afford) it cannot deal effectively with the two front war unless Russia is either crippled politically by a one-way Hitler-Stalin pact, or pincered by a huge Japanese invasion of Siberia, which most of us regard as unrealistic.

I would also like to see the economic effects of the Pact represented; e.g. Germany gets X IPCs from Russia every turn until they are at war.  This might help an earlier scenario work, but the problem of Russia being kept at bay while Germany goes West remains.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molotov–Ribbentrop_Pact

• If Russia is eliminated early, then Germany would have only one front to contend with.

• @Brain:

If Russia is eliminated early, then Germany would have only one front to contend with.

And if Russia holds off a German offensive because Germany does not have French IPCs and has to defend from both the French and British, then Germany is f***ed.

• People, we can all agree that Canada just destroyed Russia

• @dakgoalie38:

@Brain:

If Russia is eliminated early, then Germany would have only one front to contend with.

And if Russia holds off a German offensive because Germany does not have French IPCs and has to defend from both the French and British, then Germany is f***ed.

Hmmm. Let me see if I can fill in the blanks. Yes, that could be a drawback.

• @Flashman:

The idea of Soviet units all fighting at 1 to represent the lack of leadership is interesting; but I repeat that the main reason the Germans did so well at first was that Russian units were deployed for attack; i.e. the air force was distributed amongst front line formations and was destroyed on the ground.

That’s actually more of a debate among historians than a historic fact.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_offensive_plans_controversy

• Man, without Wikipedia I wouldn’t even know who won this war!

• @Gwlachmai:

Man, without Wikipedia I wouldn’t even know who won this war!

Even this is debatable.  The allies won from a military standpoint.  The Soviet Union and US tied in standings after the war.  And some may say there are no winners in war, in which case Switzerland was the clear winner.

• @i:

how does switzerland win :? :?

Switzerland always wins.  :-D

• @Brain:

The problem with this is France declared war on Germany, not the other way around. Germany didn’t really have the option of ignoring France.

• @dakgoalie38:

@Gwlachmai:

Man, without Wikipedia I wouldn’t even know who won this war!

Even this is debatable.  The allies won from a military standpoint.  The Soviet Union and US tied in standings after the war.  And some may say there are no winners in war, in which case Switzerland was the clear winner.

Actually, it’s not debateable…I seriously would not know who won without Wiki.

• @Tralis:

@Brain:

The problem with this is France declared war on Germany, not the other way around. Germany didn’t really have the option of ignoring France.

France declared war before they checked to see if anyone was willing to fight.

• France’s “sitzkreig” into Germany is famous as a one of the largest aborted campaigns ever, its true. But that doesn’t mean France and Germany didn’t fight between the invasion of Poland and the invasion of France. France sent a large number of troops to defend Norway.

• @Raeder:

@i:

how does switzerland win :? :?

Switzerland always wins.  :-D

Switzerland always wins (and especially in WWII) because they have all the banks, and no matter which side won, they made all the money.  :-P  That’s a major reason why they were able to remain neutral.  So dakgoalie38’s right that if there are no winners in war, then Switzerland wins because they didn’t fight, and they made all the money.  :wink:

• We didnt “win” we just profited from stolen gold.

• Yea I think in the Euro game every time Germany takes a new country, they should get like a 2 ipc bonus as long as Switzerland is neutral.

• Customizer

Switzerland always wins because it’s banks always finance both side’s war economy.

• yeah they do that a lot

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m