Wheel of Time Book #12 The Gathering Storm

• If you like reading a series that is finished, then try Sword of Truth by Terry Goodkind. The first book is called Wizard’s First Rule. Don’t watch the television series as it is lame.

• I too am a fan of this series and yes, I have read all eleven… I am going to try not to be skeptical since Jordan is dead but I seriously doubt his predecessor will botch a good series. The 27th you say? Nice.

• The book is out tomorrow

• I am a Wheel of Time fan as well.

• Customizer

If you like those, I’d suggest George RR Martin’s books, starting with Game of Thrones.

• Would you beleive I still haven’t read Book#12 as I am re-reading the series first  and I am only on Book #4.
    After this I plan on re-reading Sword of Truth and then I will read Game of Thrones as others have suggested that book to me as well.

• @Viracocha:

If you like those, I’d suggest George RR Martin’s books, starting with Game of Thrones.

I tried the first 3, but they’re just so dark and grimm.  It’s like, after I finish reading it, do I feel better or worse?  Also (as a side note), he’s taking WAY too long and creating a few too many rabbit trails.  He’s also just a little too free with killing off main characters.

This may be a little too light for you, but try some of Susan Dexter’s books.  Good writing, good adventure, pretty good story.  The best 2 are:  “The Prince of Ill Luck” and “The Wizard’s Shadow”.  I find that this author is less well known, so many people haven’t read any of her books.

• More suggestions, this is good, Do you think we should start a Sciece Fiction / Fantasy Book Forum?

• @Brain:

Would you beleive I still haven’t read Book#12 as I am re-reading the series first  and I am only on Book #4.

I know the feeling.

I started reading the “Wheel of Time” series when the third book, “The Dragon Reborn” had just came out in hardback.  The series was so good, that I read the first three books completely through 2-3 times before book 4 even came out.  Then every time a new book would come out, I would re-read the entire series to get the story fresh in my mind before reading the newest book.  I would even purchase the hardcover edition as soon as it came out and then purchase the paperback edition as well.  Since I live in China, I don’t have a copy of book 12 yet, but when I can get one, I’ll probably re-read the entire series again first.   :-)

• @Brain:

More suggestions, this is good, Do you think we should start a Science Fiction / Fantasy Book Forum?

Sounds good to me.

Just make sure that you spell the title correctly.  :-P

I am an English teacher after all.  :roll:

• Hey thanks for correcting my spelling, I can use all the help people will offer me.

Since you are the professor (which earns you my utmost respect), I will give you the honor of starting the thread.

• @Brain:

Hey thanks for correcting my spelling, I can use all the help people will offer me.

Since you are the professor (which earns you my utmost respect), I will give you the honor of starting the thread.

Well, xie xie ni!  (That’s Chinese for, “Thank you.”)  It’s pronounced, “Ssshee ssshee nee”.

I’ll go ahead and start a thread.  Although, since it’s WAY past my bedtime here, the opening post won’t be as verbose as the topic deserves.  Maybe later I’ll edit it up to my standards.    8-)

As a disclaimer, I must admit that I’m not exactly a professor, but I have taught 1 year of English classes in a Chinese university here in China.  :-P

• Well, xie xie ni!  (That’s Chinese for, “Thank you.”)  It’s pronounced, “Ssshee ssshee nee”.

Your welcome. (That’s English for, “Your welcome.”) It’s pronounced, “Your welcome.” :-D

I will look forward to your thread. Have, or I hope you had, whatever the case may be, a Happy Thanksgiving.

• Yes, I had a great Thanksgiving holiday yesterday.  It’s past midnight right now, so it’s Friday.

You have a Happy Thanksgiving too!

• Customizer

Heya Bardoly, we have the same profession.  Would be interested to “talk shop” sometime…

Yeah - weave up the thread!

• The new thread has been started.

• @Viracocha:

Heya Bardoly, we have the same profession.  Would be interested to “talk shop” sometime…

So, you are an ESL teacher in a foreign country as well?
    If so, which country?

• @Viracocha:

@Bardoly:

@Viracocha:

If so, which country?

Well… “kinda.”  I’m an English lecturer at a university here in London (but I’m an American).  Though I do teach some Lit. and Comp. courses to native speakers, and an Anthro. course (mostly first years/freshman), many of my courses are writing courses (and language labs) for our foreign exchange students. I assume you’re doing some ESL work in China then?  That’s sounds like quite an experience!  I did several years teaching ESL as well while working at some digs  - fantastic way to see the world and get to know people.  Have you been to the Forbidden City?  Eh eh eh how often does one get to write that in seriousness?  It just sounds cool…  :lol:

Yes, I’ve been able to see some of the tourist sites in Beijing, including parts of the Forbiden City.

• @Bardoly:

@Viracocha:

@Bardoly:

@Viracocha:

If so, which country?

Well… “kinda.”  I’m an English lecturer at a university here in London (but I’m an American).  Though I do teach some Lit. and Comp. courses to native speakers, and an Anthro. course (mostly first years/freshman), many of my courses are writing courses (and language labs) for our foreign exchange students. I assume you’re doing some ESL work in China then?  That’s sounds like quite an experience!  I did several years teaching ESL as well while working at some digs  - fantastic way to see the world and get to know people.  Have you been to the Forbidden City?  Eh eh eh how often does one get to write that in seriousness?  It just sounds cool…  :lol:

Yes, I’ve been able to see some of the tourist sites in Beijing, including parts of the Forbiden City.

All right Bardoly, now it’s my turn. I believe you spelled Forbidden wrong.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m