• Hey, I recently started playing Axis and Allies with a friend.
    We both like it but what he and I notice is that with us the Axis always win.

I will give a short summary of what happened last game (with me as Axis):
    First of I started with killing of Russia with Germany. That went smoothly, they don’t have a change. Since Germany makes 8 tanks every turn and Russia about 4 per turn. While the UK can’t do much about it.
    Also Japan takes the lands around India and starts building air planes. With Japan I went to Alaska and I filled that with air planes made in Japan.
    Soon Germany was filled with a lot of tanks and in Alaska where a lot of AIR planes. So the USA couldn’t do much since their army wasn’t big enough to attack the Japanese. And if they would go to Europe then the Japanse would take their homeland.

We simply can’t figure out a way for the allies to get a fair chance. The Axis have so much troops in the beginning that the ICP gained per turn is soon equal and Russia is always doomed.
    Can someone give me some tips for the allies?

• First of it sounds like you really need to buy more infantry. If Russia is building 4 tanks a turn and Germany builds 8, then surely Russia takes a beating, but if Russia is building mainly infantry instead, then they have a much better defense, and soon they will bleed Germany dry of infantry. This means Germany soon loses tanks for inf, which is a good deal for Russia, or they start building inf on their own, to get the cheaper casualties.
    USA should be happy to build inf and tanks to cleat out Alaska, if they get the chance to destroy Japanese planes.
    In general Russia needs lots of inf to hold the line against Germany, US and UK must build transports and start sending troops to pressure Germany and relief Russia. 
    The problems the allies experience in the first games you play is usually lack of coordination. You need an overall idea of you want to play the game, and you must plan ahead and know where each nation’s units is going to be next round.

• '16 '15 '10

Your chances of winning will increase a lot if you concentrate on killing Germany with all 3 allies.  In this scenario, once you destroy the German navy, concentrate on buying transports and land units with UK and USA while Russia buys primarily inf/art, but some tanks also.

Once you figure out to win using KGF (Kill Germany first) strategies, then you can experiment with fighting Japan too.  But I’m guessing what’s happening to you is the Germans are sacking Moscow again and again, which means you aren’t attacking Germany enough.

• Alright good suggestions, I will try it next time I play.

But I have a question about infantry and tanks

Infantry costs 3
    Tanks cost 5

The difference isn’t that much, is it really worth to buy infantry?

Also what should be your basic tactic for England then in the beginning? Do you just buy airplanes and kill the German navy?
    And can you kill Germany before Japan takes the US capital?

• 15 IPC buy 5 Infantry only 3 Tank

5 Infantry roll 5 dice for 2 for 10 total
    3 Tank roll 3 dice for 3 for 9 total

Infantry defense have better roll then Tank.  You get more Infantry mean enemy must hit more to kill.  Both mean Infantry better defense.

• (This is coming from a fellow noob.) The only time you buy tanks as Russia is when Germany is surrounded. I.E. Britian/US control Africa and W Europe and Russia controls the whole eastern front. Only then is it worth buying the offensive firepower of tanks.

• '16 '15 '10

@Wizzi:

Alright good suggestions, I will try it next time I play.

But I have a question about infantry and tanks

Infantry costs 3
    Tanks cost 5

The difference isn’t that much, is it really worth to buy infantry?

It’s about economic efficiency.  Ideally, the only units that die in battles are infantry, which are the cheapest to replace.  With Russia you want at least twice as many (preferably 3-4 times as many) inf as tanks at all times.

Also what should be your basic tactic for England then in the beginning? Do you just buy airplanes and kill the German navy?

Kill the navy, secure Africa, then focus on secure landings in Europe asap.  Typically, you need fighters, land units, a carrier, and transports.

• And Russia should simply try to survive while the other Allies try to invade Germany.

• @Wizzi:

Hey, I recently started playing Axis and Allies with a friend.
    We both like it but what he and I notice is that with us the Axis always win.

Can someone give me some tips for the allies?

Maybe you should reduce the bid amount for axis    :lol:

Now, if you wanna learn how allies own axis in Revised w/o bids, a very efficient way of doing this is to download TripleA,

http://triplea.sourceforge.net/mywiki

then connect to the lobby and start playing. After only a few games you will learn a lot. Most players in the lobby use LL, but there are usually enough dice players also.

• What is bids?

What is exactly the difference between low luck and normal?

Can you tell me how long a game like that will typically take? I’d hate to disappoint someone by having to leave in the middle of a game.

• @Wizzi:

What is bids?

Can you tell me how long a game like that will typically take? I’d hate to disappoint someone by having to leave in the middle of a game.

Bid is the amount of ipc axis gets and buy units which is placed before the game starts. Axis bid for revised should be about 8-9 ipc.

If you playing axis without bids, a game in the lobby will prolly take about 10 mins  :-D

Low Luck is average dice, if you have 2 tanks you don’t roll 2 dice, you get a hit, because 3+3 is 6, and automatic hit.
    If you have 5 tanks you get 2 hits, and roll a die @3, you roll dice for whatever hit points is greater (or less) than 6. The rest of the hit points is automatically allocated.

• @Subotai:

@Wizzi:

What is bids?

Bid is the amount of ipc axis gets and buy units which is placed before the game starts. Axis bid for revised should be about 8-9 ipc.

If you playing axis without bids, a game in the lobby will prolly take about 10 mins  :-D

Low Luck is average dice, if you have 2 tanks you don’t roll 2 dice, you get a hit, because 3+3 is 6, and automatic hit.
    If you have 5 tanks you get 2 hits, and roll a die @3, you roll dice for whatever hit points is greater (or less) than 6. The rest of the hit points is automatically allocated.

Well I just follow the manual :p? Didn’t they try to balance it out?

Oke :)

• @Wizzi:

IMO it is fairly balanced for casual or novice players but as player skill level increases allies will have the advantage to the point that a decent axis bid is required for expert players to balance the sides.

I think if you adjust your strategy to purchase infantry and other units rather than just tanks and fighter planes you should find your games a lot more balanced.  Also, the key for the allies is that they have to work together for a common goal like all 3 focus on Germany.  You should start thinking along the lines of if you make a move with England, how can you back the move up with the US before Germany has a chance to go.

• @drobes:

@Wizzi:

IMO it is fairly balanced for casual or novice players but as player skill level increases allies will have the advantage to the point that a decent axis bid is required for expert players to balance the sides.

I think if you adjust your strategy to purchase infantry and other units rather than just tanks and fighter planes you should find your games a lot more balanced.  Also, the key for the allies is that they have to work together for a common goal like all 3 focus on Germany.  You should start thinking along the lines of if you make a move with England, how can you back the move up with the US before Germany has a chance to go.

Then that will be fine for now :). For me it’s not just playing the game, it’s playing the game with friend(s).

Well it worked didn’t it? I was axis in the game I described ;).

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m