I have chosen 2 good tanks from each of the countries in A&A anniversary!

• you do realise that the maus was merely a prototype tank, and saw combat once? you’d have been better putting the panzer 4, tiger, or kingtiger in, and these saw much more combat

• It needs to be a German Tank…  Axis Roll!  ;)

• The Maus actually saw combat?  I would love to read the combat report.

Anyways, this seems like a discussion more geared towards the World War II history forum…

• I think this poll is an insult to German armor.  :x

• yeah, apparently two prototypes saw combat, Moses, but they were over-run by the russians and destroyed/captured

• I voted for the Panzerkampfwagen V Panther.

• I voted for Panther, but the Tiger tank should be on the list. Over 1300 Tigers was produced during WW2.

• Are you kidding me?  EVERYONE knows that 1 Maus is worth at least 1000 Tigers.  Easily.  :roll:

• I’d go with the Tiger and the Panther. Yeah, where is the Pz.4 and King Tiger anyway? The Pz. 4 was practically the workhorse of the German Army.

• Panzer VI Ausf. B Tiger II (King Tiger) gets my vote.

• T28 because it’s big and American

• Comparing a Heavy Tank with a Medium Tank is like comparing the Yamato with a Brooklyn Class light cruiser and wondering which one is best. If you want to make soundable comparison, you have to make it among different Battleships class.
    Same with tanks.  :-)

now, if you ask any person who knows just a little bit about tanks, which was the best tank of WW2 he or she will tell you that the T-34 was the best all-around tank of the war

… but… even so the answer is not that easy

Which was the best tank… in what year?

on 1940, T-34m40 was probably the best designed tank in the world, but it had too many mechanical problems (so you probably would like to drive a Pz-IIIf instead)

on 1941, T-34m41 were the best medium tanks in the world. No discussion about it – except that you want to include the KV-1 and KV-2 heavy tanks in the picture.

but on 1942, upgraded models of German  Pz-IV and even Pz-III (upper-armored and upper-gunned with the 50mm 60L high velocity gun) were better than the T-34m42 (except maybe for some upper-armored versions)

on 1943, Tigers and Panthers were better… only that Panthers being a new weapons-system, had so many engine and technical problems that were the best only when they were not suffering breakdowns.

(given the amount of Panthers breakdowns during Kursk Campaign, German generals estimated that if they had had Panthers instead of Pz-I and Pz-II during the blitz on France, they couldn’t had sustained the speed needed on the race to the Channel due to frequent mechanical breakdowns… Panthers would probably had lost the Battle of France)

on 1944 and 1945 Panthers were the best all-around tank probably… closely followed by T-34/85 and Sherman ‘Firefly’… but Panthers where expensive and out-numbered… you you probably wanted them for wining a one-on-one duel against a T-34/85, but the next two or three T-34 were going to fry you. So Panther was a great tank for winning duels but loosing battles.  :roll:

Sherman also known as Firefly (Great Britian Medium tank)

“Sherman” and “Firefly” were not the same tank
    M4 Sherman (come in many variants) was an American medium tank
    Firefly (come in many variants too) was a British upgrade of the Sherman (basically a Sherman mounting a 17pnd gun).

but I guess you knew that already  :-)

Js-3 (Russian Tank destroyer)

JS-III wasn’t a tank destroyer, it was a heavy tank.

SU-57, SU-85m, SU-100, those were Soviet tank-destroyers  :-)

Type 95 (Japanese heavy tank)

Type 95 Ha-Go was not a heavy tank, it was light tank (about 8 tons), 37mm gun

Chi-Ha was a ‘medium tank’ for Japanese standards, but it was only 16 tons (compared with about 29 tons of T-34m41 and almost 45 tons of Panther)

• @Emperor_Taiki:

T28 because it’s big and American

size doesn’t matter  :wink:

• is there a reliable source describing the Maus in action?

can someone cite to it?

• I don’t know as you could say there is one best tank.  This could be taken as far as comparing todays M1A2 Abrams and the Palidian.  They are both impressive units but I would use them for diffrent things.

Is a Ford Ranger even in the running with a Ford F-550?  If not how can you compare light, medium and heavy tanks?

LT

• http://www.achtungpanzer.com/panzerkampfwagen-viii-maus-porsche-typ-205-tiger-iip.htm

this site has a lot of information on the maus, but only mentioned that the v2 may have seen combat around the testing grounds before it was destroyed. i also read elsewhere that a canadian group claims to have fought against/seen a maus. but no proof about it. that’s why i said ‘apparently saw combat’  :wink:

• @tin_snips:

http://www.achtungpanzer.com/panzerkampfwagen-viii-maus-porsche-typ-205-tiger-iip.htm

this site has a lot of information on the maus, but only mentioned that the v2 may have seen combat around the testing grounds before it was destroyed. i also read elsewhere that a canadian group claims to have fought against/seen a maus. but no proof about it. that’s why i said ‘apparently saw combat’  :wink:

there were only two ‘operational’ prototypes: v1 and v2. Both of them were captured by the Soviets (one of them is at a Museum in Russia)… hardly the Canadians could have fought against a Mauss.

• @tin_snips:

i also read elsewhere that a canadian group claims to have fought against/seen a maus. but no proof about it. that’s why i said ‘apparently saw combat’  :wink:

the russians technically captured both protypes. they pieced a complete maus together using the hull from one, and the turret from the other

• @TG:

Are you kidding me?  EVERYONE knows that 1 Maus is worth at least 1000 Tigers.  Easily.  :roll:

Perhpas, but like the tiger, it only needed 1 small US/UK/USSR airplane, wich they had with thousands, to take out a Maus, so i prefer 1000 tigers :-D

• no way was a maus worth that many tigers! it may have had an awesome gun and armour, but it was one heavy beast. and slow too! it was so heavy that it couldn’t travel over conventional bridges!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m