• What is your favorite World War Two ship?

• Can I list a few?

Aircraft carriers would probably be my first choice due to the rise of air power.  They essentially made dreadnought-centered navy strategy obsolete.  Probably the biggest impact on naval combat than any other ship, I imagine.

U Boats get my vote for ingenuity and stealth.  Germany worked around it’s inferior surface ships and kept the Allies on their toes in the Atlantic without conventional engagements.  I’d pick type XXI as top choice due to it’s ability and that I think it looks pretty damn nice.

Last I’d got with Higgins boats for their production and utility.  I don’t think there was a better boat for beach landings, and they were produced very quickly in a large quantity.

And the DUKW for honorable mention in the weird category.  :mrgreen:

• Type VII U-Boat due to many kills they make.

• I like the Kongo Battleship. I have a thing for the pagoda style battlewagon.

I also like the design for the Ise and Hyuga Battleship/carrier BBAV

http://www.hlj.com/product/HSGWL119

its incredible design feature to have both on the same ship.

AS far as firepower i prefer Musashi, because it took more punishment than any other warship to sink. Like 20 torpedoes and 15 bombs to sink it.

• My favorite WWII ship is the German Raider Atlantis. The ship went on a single voyage that lasted nearly two years; sank over 20 allied ships for nearly 150,000 tons and captured top secret documents concerning the British’s defenses of the Far East, which were turned over to Japan. I’ve read the book, The German Raider Atlantis over ten times.

• @Imperious:

I like the Kongo Battleship. I have a thing for the pagoda style battlewagon.

I also like the design for the Ise and Hyuga Battleship/carrier BBAV

http://www.hlj.com/product/HSGWL119

its incredible design feature to have both on the same ship.

AS far as firepower i prefer Musashi, because it took more punishment than any other warship to sink. Like 20 torpedoes and 15 bombs to sink it.

The Ise and Hyuga Battleship/carriers are awesome looking ships.

• Battleships period. My top would be the Missouri. Aside from Japan’s surrender taking place aboard her my oldest son was born in Missouri on Sept 2. He thinks it’s pretty cool his birthday is on a plaque on the deck of his states namestake warship. He even runs around with a Mighty Mo hat on his head.

• Japanese Battleships of the Kongo Class

Japanese Heavy Cruisers (these ships gave the US Navy some of its greatest whoopings in its history), Torpedo armed Heavy Cruisers!

Aircraft carrying subs of the IJN the I-400 class - how cool is that!

Italian Battleships of the Littorio Class - very sleek and very Italian in style
    Italian Cruisers in general

German Cruiser Prinz Eugen - the Kreigsmarine survivor

The big heavy Cruisers of the Portland class and Pensacola Classes: USS Indianapolis

USS Alaska and Guam - America’s Battlecruisers - to cool, to bad thay never got a chance to chase down the German BC’s.

• i dont know enough wwII ships to pick a favourite, although i think this one would have been really cool, if it was ever manufactured, have any of you heard of the proposal by someone from the american side to build aircraft carriers out of
    ice that dosent melt, i know it sounds bizzare, they said it would have been virtually indestructable because it would have been as strong, if not stronger than concrete, and have the capacity to carry far more aircraft because of this,
    i think the ice is called perma-ice or concrete ice, i dont know if it was manufactured or what, i only caught a glimpse of the programme while watching television.

• @d142:

i dont know enough wwII ships to pick a favourite, although i think this one would have been really cool, if it was ever manufactured, have any of you heard of the proposal by someone from the american side to build aircraft carriers out of
    ice that dosent melt, i know it sounds bizzare, they said it would have been virtually indestructable because it would have been as strong, if not stronger than concrete, and have the capacity to carry far more aircraft because of this,
    i think the ice is called perma-ice or concrete ice, i dont know if it was manufactured or what, i only caught a glimpse of the programme while watching television.

The British commisioned Canada to build an Aircraft carrier out of ice,I forget where they were attempting to build the prototype in Canada but they were having great difficulty. Seemed like a wacky idea,I doubt it would have worked all that great in the end.

• My vote goes to the US Navy diesel-electric submarines.  We were doing to Japan with our boats more than the Germans were doing to us, I think.  My second vote would have to go to the German subs, and my third vote, for aesthetic reasons, would go to the Japanese battleships.  Finally, I’d give honorable mention to the US carriers, they look like they mean business, but have an elegance of their own.  The Japanese carriers look quirky to me.

• HOLY SMOKES ENTERPRISE RULED!

though i like what it was called i think the iowa battle ship i beleive (blank in my head because i have been chilling to much)

The iowa and its sister ship were the biggest bship of ww2 and in history but i love the enterprise though as well

• @frimmel:

Enterprise.

The most decorated ship of the war.

Got to love the Big E.

• Here are some stats concerning my favorite World War II Ship, The German Auxiliary Cruiser Atlantis.

Displacement: 17,600 tons, (7862 gross register tonnage)
    Length: 155 m
    Beam: 18.7 m
    Draught: 8.7 m
    Machinery: 1 shaft , 2 -6 cylinder MAN diesels, 7,600 hp (5,670 kW)
    Speed: 17 knots (31 km/h)
    Armament
    6 x 150 mm guns
    1 x 75 mm gun
    2 x 2 x 37 mm guns
    4 x 20 mm guns
    4 x 533 mm torpedo tubes
    92 mines
    2 float planes
    Crew: 349-351

Atlantis travelled more than 161,000 km in 602 days, and sank or captured 22 ships totaling 144,384 tons. Atlantis was sunk on November 21, 1941, while refueling an U-Boat.

• And yet not even a big deal compared to the ultimate commerce raider which had these stats

Displacement: 1050 tons
    Length: 220 ft (67 m)
    Beam: 31 ft 8 in (9.7 m)
    Draft: 17 ft 8 in (5.4 m)
    Installed power: 300 HP
    Propulsion: Steam engine
    Speed: 13 knots (24 km/h)
    Complement: 145 officers and men
    Armament: 6 x 32 lb (15 kg) cannons, 1 x 110 lb (50 kg) cannon, 1 x 68 lb (31 kg) cannon

CSS Alabama at sea for 534 days out of 657, never having pulled into a single Confederate port. She boarded almost 450 vessels, captured or burned 65 Union merchant vessels, and took more than 2,000 prisoners without a single loss of life from either prisoners or her own crew.

But thats another war  :wink:

• The Duke of York.

• @legion3:

And yet not even a big deal compared to the ultimate commerce raider which had these stats

Displacement: 1050 tons
    Length: 220 ft (67 m)
    Beam: 31 ft 8 in (9.7 m)
    Draft: 17 ft 8 in (5.4 m)
    Installed power: 300 HP
    Propulsion: Steam engine
    Speed: 13 knots (24 km/h)
    Complement: 145 officers and men
    Armament: 6 x 32 lb (15 kg) cannons, 1 x 110 lb (50 kg) cannon, 1 x 68 lb (31 kg) cannon

CSS Alabama at sea for 534 days out of 657, never having pulled into a single Confederate port. She boarded almost 450 vessels, captured or burned 65 Union merchant vessels, and took more than 2,000 prisoners without a single loss of life from either prisoners or her own crew.

But thats another war  :wink:

Ah, another fan of the merchant raider. As a southern I’ve always loved the story of the Alabama. Had the Union not used chain-mail armor, perhaps the outcome of that duel off Cherbourg been different.

The German World War One Raider Wolf led a glormous life also.

• Atlantis was at remote Kerguelen Island, in the Indian Ocean. There they did maintenance and replenished their water supplies. The crew suffered its first fatality when a sailor fell while painting the funnel. He was buried in what is sometimes referred to as “the most southerly German soldier’s grave”

• Ah, another fan of the merchant raider. As a southern I’ve always loved the story of the Alabama. Had the Union not used chain-mail armor, perhaps the outcome of that duel off Cherbourg been different.

The German World War One Raider Wolf led a glormous life also.

Yep, and since I am a multi generational Floridian I am a big fan of the CSS Florida - Which ran the blockade into Mobile and escaped to boot. Took 37 prizes, two of which were converted into the CSS Tacony and Clarence which took 23 more prizes. And if not for the violation of Brazilian waters…who knows but c’est la guerre

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m