• I put a clean version of Windows XP on the system and now I periodically get a flicker on the screen. Gforce4 Graphics card. Any ideas?

• …um, maybe go to a site that talks about windows problems?..

• I’m sorry Bangalore, I figured it was obvious but I did not include, when I play Axis and Allies CD ROM only.

• I had the same problem once apon a time, couple of solutions.

1. Update your chipset drivers, esp. if you have a VIA chipset, get the new 4-in-1 drivers and all will be happy.

2. Make sure DMA is check marked in the device properties of the IDE controller your CDROM drive is one (primary or secondary under IDE controllers in device manager.)

3. Update your DirectX version, personally I would stay away from anything higher then 8.1 but that is just me.

Let me know if this helped at all, when I did solution #1 it fixed my problems.

• Don’t use windows XP…… Hell I just upgraded to windows98! Then again I am old and crustier my the minute.

Is there anything that triggers the flicker? If you can see modem activity lights when the flicker occurs or CDRom/hard drive access etc that narrows the problem down. If you use ICQ or Kazaa, heck, whenever you try to diagnose problems simplify the system. STOP and close all programs not needed, ICQ, anti-virus, every single thing you can eliminate. If the problem still persists then drop your video card down to 640x480/256 colours. If the problem STILL persists (and it’s not a pirate version of the software) and the win install is good and fresh (as you indicated) then… if it ain’t software it’s gotta be hardware and that is extremely rare (and since you say it’s only when using AA not likely at all). A plodding, anal retentive elimination of variables is the best way I know to isolate problems, might not be the fastest however…

If you can get the game to run without flicker on a ‘bare bones’ windows XP configuration then add back the programs you normally run all the time (ICQ, antivirus etc.).

BB

• oh… :-? i had no idea why you were posting windows problems here… hehe…

NEVERMIND!! :oops:

• You pin head…… The guy has a problem playing his axis and allies CD game which runs on windows. Try reading the thread…

BB

• Thanks but no dice. I have the updated drivers for the NVidea video card. Directx8.1 and I’m afraid to go higher. I figure it can only get worse. I was unable to try BB’s one idea of 256 colors with the lower res. I couldn’t find where to go in XP. Unfortunatly I’m just gonna have to blink very often. It’s always something right? Thanks Again.

• In XP you can’t set the res below 16-bit I believe unless you are in safe mode, but I am wrong more often then not. I would still chalk up the flickering to the CD-ROM instead of the video card, if you haven’t updated chipset drivers look to that and make sure you have DMA enabled on the IDE controller. Or you could do the blink real fast trick and hope it doesn’t catch on, could make for strange looks walking in the mall.

• I don’t use winXP, but what about right clicking on the desktop, selecting properties to access resolution settings, not sure if that still works but…

BB

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m