Big world 1942 Allied strategy, massbombing

• I have tried this strategy a couple of times now, and if your not too unlucky, it will prove devastating for both Germany and Japan. This strategy works best in a standard game, were the Germans and Japanese go after Russia. It is a bit risky, since the Russian player must hold Germany on its own for 3 rounds, but thats usually the case anyway if the allies are not extremely lucky in the Atlantic.

The key in this strategy is to use a minimum of UK/US force to bleed out Germanys economy, and use all exess resources on crippling Japan.

R1 will do a standard semi offensive opening, but prepares a defensively in eastern Russia to slow japan down as much as possible. If the axis player do something unorthodox, the strategy can be revised before UK1.

UK1

Buy 1 Bomber
    And spend the rest on what ever is needed for gaining control in the Atlantic and landings in Africa/Norway.

It is vital for the player to use all naval and air power this round to take out as much German naval forces as possible. Loosing a couple of fighters in the process doesn’t mater. Just make sure your bomber survives.

US1

Use 4 - 5 on tech. HB :evil:
    Buy 1 Bomber, and use the rest on Pacific fleet units.

It is not devastating if you don’t get the HB the fist round, but you should sure as hell get them on the second.

Use all Atlantic forces to hunt down any subs left in the Atlantic. Send both your bombers east toward Europe, and pick off subs on the way. Ideally you can get to the subs, and still reach England, or else you will have to land them in Iceland, or French West Africa. (make sure they can’t be reached unprotected by German bombers.)

R2

Russia will have to trade as much territory as possible and make sure Germany doesn’t build in Leningrad. It’s ok to loose it , but make sure you have tanks, and inf in striking position so that you can take it back the next round. If Germany still have transporters left in the Baltic sea, use your fighters and bombers to wipe them out. If they only have cruiser/sub, use your air to stall Germany as much as possible.

UK2

Buy 1 bomber
    3 inf to check japan in India. (you might want to put in some rt or arm insted, to make sure India doesn’t fall. China will also harass Japan as much as possible.)

Spend all you have left on HB tech. (do the math before you do the research)

If theres any German naval unit’s left, you will have to take them out, but you should by now have full control in the Atlantic, and be able to make landings both in Morocco and Norway. Norway is most important, so that you can help Russia out in Leningrad. All fighters that are left should help out for protection in India, Leningrad, or protecting your bomber that will be stationed in North Africa.

US 2

Buy 1 more bomber, and use the rest on  pacific fleet.
    (you might want to spend some on research fol LR, since the combination HB LR can wreck havoc on the Japanese transporters.)

Move the bomber you bought Gibraltar, and use your two others for bombing raids in W and E Germany.

I know this strategy put a minimum of pressure on the axis player. The German player won’t have to worry about an allied landing in W Europe any time soon, and can throw all of their fury in to the East front. The Japanese will also make a good deal of progress into Asia. But if the Russian player is able to stand ground for another round, the fun really begins.

If both US bombings were successful the German player will loose a average of 12 IPC’s. This is not enough to halt the German war machine. But it’s not until G3 that the German player sees that the UK player wont be able to mount any big landing in Europe, and send all it’s forces eastwards, and by that time it’s too late.

UK3

If you didn’t get HB earlier, get it now.
    Spend the rest on defense of  India. If you can afford it, buy an additional bomber. Any additional can be used on whatever. Having a HB in India is a good way to make sure the japanese player doesn’t bring any unprotected trn’s.

now you should start raining bombs on Germany. One hitting W Germany, one hitting Eastern Germany, and one Italy from Gibraltar or Africa. with regular bombing this should bleed the German player an average of 9 IPC’s. But if you got HB on UK2, the average is 18 IPC’s

US3

Buy 1 bomber
    spend the rest on Pacific fleet.

Send all your heavy bombers and bleed Germany for an additional 18 IPC’s. Send your bomber to England.

In a worst case scenario you will only bleed the German player around 15 IPC’s and loose more then one bomber bomber.

But if you keep building an additional bomber for Germany every turn you will only have to spand 15 IPC’s every turn on the west front. This gives the US player tons of IPC’s to focus in the pacific. Japan will soon be faced with a formidable US fleet backed with heavy bombers.

The UK player can focus either on a landing in Europe, or start island hopping together with US.

Either way, as the bombing of Germany continues,the German player will bleed an average of 30 IPC’s every turn.
    (3x2 hit x(3 US bombers + 3 UK bombers - 1 bomber to AA = 5 bombers) =30 IPC) If the German player is unable to break through and hold Moskva in G4, the German player will soon run out of steam, and the Russian player can push Germany all the way back to Berlin.

The allies Are now in a position were they can check the German player, with only spending 14 IPC on a bomber every now and then. (Same as trn + 2 inf) And can use all excess IPC’s to overpower Japan, or kill off Germany.

What do you think? How can this be effectively countered?

-Skel-

• I’ve played Big World: 1942 many times.  It is one of my favorite big world A&A games.  It is very balanced and challenging to play.  I was excited to see a new strategy, so I loaded up TripleA and tried it out.

I think there is one way to stop you massive bombing from working: the rules.  Bombing is limited to the territory value.  The allies can only bomb East Germany for 7 and West Germany for 7, and thus only deprive Germany of 14 income.  The Germans should still have more income than Russia even after the bombing.

Craig

• I’ve played Big World: 1942 many times.  It is one of my favorite big world A&A games.  It is very balanced and challenging to play.  I was excited to see a new strategy, so I loaded up TripleA and tried it out

I agree. I just only tested it with a friend some weeks ago, and we now play our 6th or 7th game. It’s so much more fun to play compared to revised, and much more diverse games too.

I think there is one way to stop you massive bombing from working: the rules.  Bombing is limited to the territory value.  The allies can only bomb East Germany for 7 and West Germany for 7, and thus only deprive Germany of 14 income.  The Germans should still have more income than Russia even after the bombing.

Sure, but you forget about Italy - 6. Thats 7 + 7 + 6 = max 20

Also, this strategy rely on bombings from both UK and US. Both countries can hit the same German complexes in the same round.

UK bombing: 6 in Eastern Germany + 6 in Western Germany +  6 in Italy = 18 IPC’s

• US bombing: 6 in Eastern Germany + 6 in Western Germany +  6 in Italy = 18 IPC’s
    • One bomber average hit by AA 6 IPC’s
      = Germany losses: 30 IPC’s

A Strong Germany at this point, witch wold be expected, will have an income of around 50 IPC’s That leavs Germany with 20 IPC’s every round, and they will soon be out gunned by the red army.

Here you can see round 5 of a game i played with a friend the other day. It didn’t last long after this. He didn’t play hes best Axis game, but this wold be devastating for any German economy.

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting

• I have always played with “Territory Turn Limit” checked.  On my computer it is checked by default for Big World:1942.  This limits bombing to the territory value for the entire turn, so the British AND Americans can’t both take 7 income from West Germany.

Two other interesting observations: When I play the Axis, I usually have a strong Mediterranean fleet that would prevent bombing on Italy.  Also, it seems that if the USA and UK are focused on Germany, Japan should be doing better.  By turn 5 or 6 they should have China and India if the Allies are focused on Germany.

Craig

• Ah haven’t seen that checkbox. I guess that makes the tactic obsolete. Still, the us player can still use it for crippling Germany, and still outproduce Japan in the pacific. One bomber a turn makes us focus 25/75 on G and J, and drain German economy with an average of 18 IPC every turn. If all your bombers survive AA, you can sit back in Europe, and focus 100% in the Pacific. The HB tech will allso help you out allot in any pacific showdown.

-Skel-

• When you start the game, select “Game Options” on the left side of the menu to find the “Territory Turn Limit” option.  I’ve also always played with a house rule of ‘no tech’ because it I feel it introduces too much influence on a few technology roles.  I think your strategy is sound, we just play different games :)

As an aside, I do like the technology development that Global Conflict in this forum introduced.

Craig

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m