• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

If Japan skips Pearl, I’d almost definitely skip KJF.  It smacks of a “plan” and I don’t like playing by the axis “plan.”

• @Cmdr:

Most CSub Articles, I’ve been told, aren’t worth the electronic paper they’re written on.

So now that you’ve been reading the papers, do you feel that “they aren’t worth the electronic paper that they are printed on”?

Just curious  :-D

Most of them, unfortunately, yes.

Some of them have interesting points.  but some of them, like the one on National Advantages, really aren’t even worth a read.  It was so obviously written just after the game came out and before strategies and tactics were designed around the National Advantages that it’s totally off the mark on just about everything.

Some of the others are okay.  And hey, only ONE of the tactical papers loses consistently to the TripleA AI! j/k!  It only lost once.

• @Cmdr:

Most of them, unfortunately, yes.

Well, I’ll remain agnostic as to whether or not you have read “most” of them, but at least you’ve made a solid step toward objectivity.

I’m sure you have many other sources of strategy that you find to be far superior; May they serve you well.

8-)

• I read most papers and the starting papers are good enough. It’s for players who are new to revised and so
    they do the job. No one can teach someone to play just by theory.
    Also every game from rnd 2-3 is different so there’s only overall strats like KGF/KJF that are valid in all games.

• The strategy mentions that the axis player should get his battleship and transport out of the Mediteranean. Now if the strategy was about building a german fleet in the baltic and merging the fleet with the med fleet then getting it out of the med makes sense. However the strategy is one which talks about building a land army to send to Russia. Therefore to get back to issue, where does the person who posted the strategy intend to send the med fleet. Out into the Atlantic and into the jaws of the allied fleet, a quick get away taking Brazil in the process before disapearing around the cape horn, or opening up the suez canal before reaching the safety Japan’s  bosom which is it’s fleet?

If you have no intention or bother of reading the official strategy I refer to, and can make no sense of what I mean above. Then consider this, what should Germany do with its Med fleet, is it a lost cause, or is there a potential to save it and use it to fight another day?

By “getting it out of the Med”, I mean eventually sending it through the canal and into the Indian Ocean, usually around round 3 or 4.  Anything later then that and you’ll probably be sunk before fleeing.

I delibrately left off naval purchases, and potential unification strats b/c
    1)  I think they are a bit more complicated to pull off, and
    2)  I didn’t want the first post to be too long and running through potential naval buys (and the NCM follow-ups) as well as land buys probably would have at least tripled the length of my first post if not more.

Back to the BB/trn fleeing, with a land focused Germany (I made the assumption of bid to Lib) you can have Egy and TJ by G2.  The Allies have landed in Alg and are starting to move on Egy (as early as UK3 via the Alg landing).  If you stick around much longer you’ll be sunk, so I like to take two troops and pick my spots elsewhere.

Option 1:  Japan left India for Ger to take on G3.  Then you take Mad (or Aus if UK left only 2 inf).  Then proceed to Aus (if possible after you took Mad), then NZ, then HI.  This all keeps the German income pretty high with no additional IPC spent on troops, since you are only using 1 inf/1 rt (or arm), and a BB shot, your bom is also helpful if you can spare it.

Option 2:  India is taken by J, so Germany takes Mad, then proceeds to Aus, NZ, and HI, if available.

Option 3:  Take Mad, and then just bounce back and forth in Afr picking off empty spots recently vacated by the Allies, but never land if UK or US can kill your troops on a counter.  Eventually you land in Egy, TJ, or Per followed up by a J Naval landing and proceed to Cauc.  The BB/trn then provide extra firepower in protecting the J trns, so Japan is free to have her heavy hitters either annoying Ala/Wcan, S Afr, or sailing into the South Atlantic after taking NZ.

Essentially you can pick up roughly 4-8 ipc that are uncapturable by the Allies and don’t need to be defended by Ger, so once Ger is booted from Afr they can still have a base income of 39-43 where Germany only holds the core of Europe, trades Kar, Belo, Ukr and then adds in the 4-8 they were able to pick up from the following:  Ind, Mad, Aus, NZ, HI.

• Thanks Darth, I like that idea :)

@DarthMaximus:

Option 1:  Japan left India for Ger to take on G3.  Then you take Mad (or Aus if UK left only 2 inf).  Then proceed to Aus (if possible after you took Mad), then NZ, then HI.  This all keeps the German income pretty high with no additional IPC spent on troops, since you are only using 1 inf/1 rt (or arm), and a BB shot, your bom is also helpful if you can spare it.

for me, sparing a German bomber is not really much of an issue.  I generally purchase a second one (and a fighter) on Germany 1 anyway.  And I absolutely ADORE having India in German hands and reinforced by Japanese equipment.

The only problem is that prevents Japan from putting an Industrial on India. (Not a huge loss, as I’m learning to rely less on ICs for Japan and more on transports.  8 units on Japan can be as much as 32 IPC - assuming you want to fill 4 transports.  If you are only earning 45-50 IPC that leaves 13-18 IPC which breaks down into a 3 some in Manchuria or FIC’s complex easily, without needing the Indian one and yes, that may include a fighter or something.)

Germany with Madagascar, New Zealand, India, Australia and Hawaii is dangerous!  8 IPC on islands the Allies are not getting back (India is not an island, but seriously, how often is the allies reclaiming that?)  It’s almost making up for Africa if it is lost (Africa being +9 to Germany not including her two originals.)

• i like to look to the sea for victory.

• There’s no UK battleship in Z13, it is a UK cruiser. The UK battleship is in Z2.

• You didn’t put how many units are left in Norway after G1. Are you implying that Norway should be left undefended? Then the UK could float that Canadian tank over and take Norway uncontested straight away. That doesn’t seem like good strategy to me.

• @habs4life9:

There’s no UK battleship in Z13, it is a UK cruiser. The UK battleship is in Z2.

This article is for Revised, not for AA42. In Revised, it was a bb in z13

As for the canadian tank and Norway, I guess DM will deadzone north sea to ensure Norway is too costly for UK

Func is right, this is for the Revised Version that came out in like 2004.  In some cases the Ger trn would survive until G2, meaning you can counter Nor on G2 if you wanted.  But if you can block off and hold Kar, then Norway is not as big of an issue.  On the positive side if the Allies do go to Nor really early, then you should be gaining a lot more IPCs from Africa.

• Hmm ok, but that change in the UK starting setup impact the game significantly. In AA42 the only units that can reach the BB, trn and Russian sub on G1 are the Norway ftr, the Z8 sub and the bmr. This makes for a much more risky battle. Is it better to leave the BB alone then in AA42? I have been attacking them on G1 regularly, because the odds are in Germany’s favor to win that battle but Germany is screwed if the dice don’t go well. Same wth the Z13 cruiser, I could send 3 ftrs at it in a separate battle and I’ll most likely hit it in the first round but then there’s a 50/50 chance of losing a ftr…is either battle too risky in AA42 and should I just keep the UK navy alive?

• '10

This post is deleted!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m