Adding Weapons Developments to Pacific '40

• We know that the Global '40 techs will be the same (in name, if not in function) as the AA50 set:

Advanced Artillery
    Rockets
    Paratroopers
    Increased Factory Production
    War Bonds
    Improved Mechanized Infantry

Super Submarines
    Jet Fighters
    Improved Shipyards
    Radar
    Long Range Aircraft
    Heavy Bombers

So: why not start playing Pacific '40 with the weapons development rules in place, just to get used to how these are going to affect the game?

Obviously, it’ll mostly be the US and Japan trying for these unit upgrades (the Chinese won’t even have the option to do so, the UK and ANZAC forces will mostly be turtling up), but usually the two big forces in the Pacific end up having roughly the same economy at the mid-point of the game, so it shouldn’t be too unbalancing to include the weapons development rules (they’re optional anyway)… thoughts on this?

• Advanced Artillery (Artillery boost 2 Infantry each)
    Rockets (AA guns can do strategic bombing, Range = 3, 1 per territory)
    Paratroopers (Air Bases can move up to 2 Infantry during Attack Move, Range = 3)
    Increased Factory Production (+2 unit production for each Industrial Complex)
    War Bonds (+1d6 IPCs during Collect Income)
    Improved Mechanized Infantry (Mechanized Infantry attack @ 2, can blitz)

Super Submarines (Subs attack @ 3)
    Jet Fighters (Fighters attack @ 4)
    Improved Shipyards (BB, Carriers cost 3 IPCs less; Cruisers 2 less; DD, Transports, Subs -1)
    Radar (AA guns defend @2)
    Long Range Aircraft (Fighters, Strategic Bombers get +2 movement)
    Heavy Bombers (Each time a bomber attacks, roll 2 dice and take the lowest result)

• Customizer

Minor correction to the Heavy Bombers upgrade.  You roll two dice but you don’t just take the lowest result.  If both dice come up 4 or less, then you get two hits.  In SBRs, you get to add both dice to create more damage to enemy ICs.

• 2d6 is the old story… Global 40 heavy bombers have been further powered down.

• @Make_It_Round:

2d6 is the old story… Global 40 heavy bombers have been further powered down.

I think that is what he is saying: that to fix Heavy bombers change it back from the lame fix.

• @Wilson2:

@Make_It_Round:

2d6 is the old story… Global 40 heavy bombers have been further powered down.

I think that is what he is saying: that to fix Heavy bombers change it back from the lame fix.

Ah, thanks for that. I agree!

2d6 bombers don’t seem game-crushing to me, by any means…

• For japan, you can add Chemical weapon.

Japanese used gas and chemical weapon against chinese forces during world war II.

• @crusaderiv:

For japan, you can add Chemical weapon.

Japanese used gas and chemical weapon against chinese forces during world war II.

Hi crusadriv,

Maybe I wasn’t being clear. What I’m proposing isn’t making new weapons developments, but taking the existing weapons developments that we know about from the upcoming Global '40 game and preemptively retrofitting them into the Pacific '40 game. That probably still sounds confusing… Ah well.

-MIR

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m