• Hi there.  Just got A&A board game for my birthday.

We’re still working at getting the game rules sorted out and there’s a piece about dice rolling that we’re still arguing about.

Here’s the rulebook text:

All the units on the attacker’s
    side fire during this step.
    Roll one die for each attacking
    unit. Roll for all units of a
    given attack at once
    . For each
    hit scored, the defender must
    choose one of his or her units
    and move it to the casualty
    zone. These units are not out of
    the game just yet. They will be
    able to counterattack.

The part in bold is where we’re not all interpreting the same way.

One of us believes that we roll all the dice at the same time.  And then, we assign which dice goes to which unit type.  For example, if you army is composed of 1 infantry and one fighter, you roll two dice.  If you get a 3 and a 1, you can assign two hits: one for the infantry, one for the bomber

Personally, I interpreted that as we rolled the dice for units of the same strength altogether.  To stick with the previous example, I would therefore roll twice.  Once for infantry, once for fighter.  This way, if I rolled a 3 first, infantry would miss.  The 1 would let the bomber hit.

How’s it supposed to be played?

Thanks!

• 2007 AAR League

The bolded part means you roll for all the units attacking a particular territory at the same time.  eg. in Russia’s first turn maybe they attack West Russia and Belorussia.

Your interpretation is correct.  You assign a die to a unit before rolling (ie. you say the red die is the inf and the white die is the fighter, THEN you roll.  You don’t wait to see which is the 1 and which is the 3 then decide.

• You roll the dice, but they are pre-assigned to a given unit.

For example, if you are attackign with both INF and ARM, and ahve 2 colors of dice, then you call one color for the INF, 1 color for the ARM.

If you hace only one color of dice, you roll each type of unit one at a time and complete the entire attacker sequence (all attacking units), then proceed to all defender rolls in the same manner.

Repeat until combat is resolved.

• Happy birthday!

And wat they said on the dice.

• Thanks for the clear-up, guys!  :)

We played using the other method and I felt the “synergy” bonus from using strong units with weak units was way too strong!

Now I can’t wait to play it again :)

• It would also skew the hell out of Europe.

Imagine Germany’s 6 FIGs and BOM backed up by a large stack of INF…  Throw in an ARM or seven…

• @ncscswitch:

It would also skew the hell out of Europe.

Imagine Germany’s 6 FIGs and BOM backed up by a large stack of INF…  Throw in an ARM or seven…

Can you say “steamroll” anyone?

• @Gamer:

@ncscswitch:

It would also skew the hell out of Europe.

Can you say “steamroll” anyone?

I prefer baked rolls.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m