• With a couple of us here being new to the game, I thought I’d start a thread for us to ask straight rules questions, especailly if we get some PBEM or PBF games going.

Here’s the first one:  Does getting hit with the special ability “Covering Fire” also prevent a unit from performing Defensive Fire?

Mot

• The rulebook states that defensive-fire is a special kind of attack that is a lot like a regular attack.  Because of that, I’d be inclined to say that cover-fire would negate it.

• Ok again with the NOOB questions,

1 ) lets say you have an INF in a forward starting position and a friendly ARM directly behind him is there friendly fire? I don’t think there would be just thought I would ask. It would make a good advanced rule with some tweeking.

2 ) Lets say you have ARM attacking an enemy help position consisting 1 ARM, and 1 INF. Does the friendly ARM choose who he attacks? Does he role for both?

3 ) when you have good and bad guys in the same space do you all defult to your first defense rating? or do you keep track of what position you entered from and make your front back decisions from that?

4 ) If you have 4 tandem forest spaces and you want to engage an enemy unit at one end and your at the other (so he would be behind 2 forest spaces) can you engage if you roll and they don’t have cover? is it out of your line of sight? or do you have to roll twice for cover b/c of both spaces?

It seems like the more questions I ask the more questions it raises

-LT04

• 1.  There is no friendly fire in the situation you described.  (It’s worth noting that some units DO state that their attacks harm enemy and friendly units alike.  But it will be clearly written right on the card).

2.  You pick your target.  (Again, SOME units can affect all units in a hex but it will be clearly marked on the unit’s card).

3.  At zero range (in the same hex) you defend with your rear defense number.  As a tank, if you let a few dozen Infantry get that close they are basically all around you and one of them is going run up behind and afix a magnetic charge on your a$$.

4.  You wouldn’t have line-of-sight if there are two forests in between.

• Motdc,

Have you had any luck getting started on the AAM on-line experiance?

-LT04

• NOOB question,

I’ve been looking on the internet for AAM units. The cheepist way as far as I can tell is to buy them by the case. OK so for the question: How many booster boxes come in a case?

-LT04

• OK one more question,

Whats the diffrence between:

Contested Skies
    D-Day
    The Reserves

Are they all diffrent games? Are they all part of one game?

thanks for the info,

-LT04

• @losttribe04:

Motdc,

Have you had any luck getting started on the AAM on-line experiance?

-LT04

Personally I’m waiting for a newbie opponent.  More gemrally, I just posted over at the Avalon Hill forum to get some more experienced players to test.

@losttribe04:

NOOB question,

I’ve been looking on the internet for AAM units. The cheepist way as far as I can tell is to buy them by the case. OK so for the question: How many booster boxes come in a case?

-LT04

12 boosters in a case as far as I know.

Assuming you are not teh buy-a-case-of-each type (I’m not), I reccomend the following if you are looking for boosters:

http://www.miniaturemarket.com/inc/sdetail/77345

It is 2 boosters from each set.

I also recommend going here:

http://stores.ebay.com/BRAPS-MAGIC-STUFF_Axis-and-Allies-miniatures_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ9594871QQftidZ2QQtZkm

He sells Common sets (you get 2 of each) and Uncommon sets (one of each) from each expansion, for roughly 5 dollars a set.  Buying them as sets will save you money and you end up with just about everything you’ll ever need.

That’s what I did, now I have one of everything except the “rares” and in the boosters I pulled a Tiger, T34, and a few more good ones (alot for Germany) so I have a good selection.

@losttribe04:

OK one more question,

Whats the diffrence between:

Contested Skies
    D-Day
    The Reserves

Are they all diffrent games? Are they all part of one game?

thanks for the info,

-LT04

Each release has a name, and each release introduced new units.

So in order there is:

Base Set (or Set I)
    Eastern Front (or Set II)
    Contested Skies
    D-Day
    The Reserves

Mot

1. You cannot target friendly units with an attack. The only way you can have friendly fire is with the blast or rocket salvo abilities which may hit everything in one or more hexes.

2. Each unit can only attack one unit, so the vehicle would have to chose to attack either the enemy vehicle or the enemy infantry. However, Special abilities such as double shot and All Guns Blazing may allow for multiple attacks.

3. If an attack on a unit originates from the same hex, you use it’s rear defence - which I believe is always worse (or at least equal to) the forward defence.

4. Terrain blocks line of sight, and cannot be drawn through features such as hills or forest. If your target is behind even one forest hex you can’t see him.

5. 12 Boosters per case.

6. There are of course many differences between the different sets, all of which are the same game. Contested Skies deals primarily with the introduction of aircraft and has a mix of different nationalities. D-Day introduces obstacles, but has a major focus on German, the US, and the UK; most other nations got few if any units. Finally Reserves deals with some of the more odd units, but also has nice staples and introduces support units.

• You been on holiday DL?  Hope you had a great time.  I think Mot has been having a good time filling in.

• Can someone explain how you can use a unit with Gun Transport to move Large Artillery?  I understand that you can start it loaded on the transport, but how do you unload the Artillery piece without exceeding the stacking limit?

Thanks for the help,
    Mot

• '19 Moderator

I believe as soon as the gun is unloaded the hex becomes over stacked and the transport has to move.  I am not sure if there is a mandated direction for this move or if it can be where ever the player chooses.

• @Audacity:

You been on holiday DL?  Hope you had a great time.  I think Mot has been having a good time filling in.

Sorry, things have just been getting rather busy again. I’m making an effort now to go on the boards more though.

@Motdc:

Can someone explain how you can use a unit with Gun Transport to move Large Artillery?  I understand that you can start it loaded on the transport, but how do you unload the Artillery piece without exceeding the stacking limit?

Thanks for the help,
    Mot

Units don’t count against the stacking limit while being transported, but once the large artillery (or heavy gun) is unloaded it overstacks the hex; the unloading player must then place the gun in the closest legal hex; this will usually simply be an adjacent one in a larger game, but could possibly be 1 or more hexes away in a large and packed game.

It used to be that your opponent chose which hex the gun unloaded in, but this was changed some time around the D-Day set IIRC.

• '19 Moderator

So is that “official” or the accepted solution?

• Thank you for the answer, I appreciate it!

Mot

• Follow up question, I assume that applies to all units unloading, not just the Large/Heavy artillery units?

What about movement rolls, in cases like a bordering river?

• '19 Moderator

Cool thanks.

• These are the official rulings:

Disembarking into an Overstacked Hex
    If a disembarking unit would break the stacking limit you must put it in the nearest legal hex of your choice.

Disembarking & Movement Rolls
    This is still considered movement so does require a movement roll if applicable (eg the hex you are disembarking into is across a stream).
    If the roll is failed the unit remains in the transport, but counts as having moved. You also cannot disembark units into terrain types they can’t normally move into (eg you can’t infantry into a pond, or units with Thin Wheels into a marsh/across a stream.

Disembarking & Defencive Fire
    Disembarking triggers defencive-fire. If a unit disembarks into an overstacked hex but is hit by DF in that hex, it remains on the transport. The usual rules and limitations to DF still apply, eg tanks can’t DF against infantry unless they have an SA that specifically allows it.

• @dezrtfish:

Cool thanks.

Rewrote it and added some more.

• Cool, thanks.

Next question:

The T-35 says it can make two attacks, one must be a unit in front, one a unit not in front.  How many attacks can ut make against unit in the same hex (distance 0)?

Thanks again!
    Mot

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m