• Customizer

so back in aa50 and all other aa games, All naval ships could project power 2 spaces away from where they were, BUT loaded carriers could project power 3 spaces away (the fighters fly 3 spaces then return 1 space after fighting)

now with the new naval bases, the fighters DO NOT receive the bonus from the naval base even if they are ON the carrier… right?

this means that ships now project power 3 spaces away, and carriers still only project 3 spaces away also (because their fighters need 1 more movement to project 4 spaces away to be able to return 1 space to the carrier to land after fighting).

just want to make sure I understand this correctly…

what do people who have played the game think of this?

thx to krieg for answering all my questions all the time…

• Me and my friends always play that the carrier can
    move two spaces and then lanch it’s aircraft
    this makes there range 4 and with a nb now

• Official Q&A

@Veqryn:

now with the new naval bases, the fighters DO NOT receive the bonus from the naval base even if they are ON the carrier… right?

Right.

• Customizer

Personally i love the new naval base rules. I think they are perfect.  The new Air base rules are almost perfect (with scrambling being a bit too powerful since fighters are much cheaper than their navy counterparts)

• Customizer

i just think that carriers have been gimped way too much

first it was increasing their defense while removing offense  (taking hits doesn’t help when you launch aircraft to attack something farther away)

then it was increasing cost

now it is increasing the range of everything else except the carrier…

• And yet, almost everyone agree that carrier are the most powerful ship around!

• @Veqryn:

now it is increasing the range of everything else except the carrier…

You mean, except the planes on the carrier.

I think it makes a nice trade-off: when attacking territories/islands with carrier based planes you either move the 3 squares and don’t use the planes on the ground/amphibious assault or you move 2 or less spaces and use the planes.

• When playing our latest game of AAP40 we came up with following situation:
    The US attacked SZ surrounding Japan and he brought in 2 fighters (came from GUAM) which had one point of movement left for landing during NCM.

From older versions of A&A i know that those fighters can land on CV which can be moved during ncm in order to allow those fighters to land.

But when i read through the rulebook from AAP40 it states that the fighters must do their ncm before all other ncm is executed. Did i just got it wrong or has this rule been changed?

• @Athlim:

When playing our latest game of AAP40 we came up with following situation:
    The US attacked SZ surrounding Japan and he brought in 2 fighters (came from GUAM) which had one point of movement left for landing during NCM.

From older versions of A&A i know that those fighters can land on CV which can be moved during ncm in order to allow those fighters to land.

But when i read through the rulebook from AAP40 it states that the fighters must do their ncm before all other ncm is executed. Did i just got it wrong or has this rule been changed?

That rule is specifically for stranded defending air units. Stranded planes are those whose carrier was sunk or damaged, or launched to intercept strategic bombing/scrambled from an airbase to defend an adjacent seazone and the territory, in the last 2 cases they can’t land anymore on their territories/islands because they were captured by the enemy. In those 3 situations the defending player needs to land the planes before the attacking player conducts NCM movement (or lose them if they can’t reach a friendly landing area moving 1 space).

Since your opponent was attacking he doesn’t have to follow this rule. If you had scrambled planes from Japan’s airbase to participate on the sea battle AND if he had made a successful amphibious attack on Japan then the rule would have applied to you, as the defending player.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m