• Could the USA player destroy the Japanese navy by just building subs for 2 or 3 rounds then attacking on mass???

• yes of course, I do this all the time

• Probably not.

A good Japanese player should see this and be able to protect his fleet with Destroyers one space out and mixed with the fleet.

Also this does nothing as far as harassing Japan for the Pacific NOs.

• it would possibly be better to do it US1 or US2 in the Atlantic and send them towards Italy if Italy decided to waste money on a navy, then march them to the Pacific/Indian Ocean to see if they could do anything.  Still in most cases, probably not a good idea.  The only way a mass sub build would wok against Japan is AMAZING luck, some very quick and temporary deterrent, or Japan simply let’s you get away with it

• A fleet of subs is a good way of clearing the japanese fleet away from your west coast, if they’ve snatched your Islands NO (haw, mid, sol etc.) you’ll want to get that back. Subs can keep Japanese carriers away.

• @Adlertag:

yes of course, I do this all the time

What is it that you do all the time, precisely? All subs for USA, all the time? Surely you do something a little less extreme. :)

• I am norwegian

• I am swiss, and no you cant win with JUST subs, this is like your earlier topic. and you get advice just like my earlier advice. mix and match. dont try ALL of one thing. heck even russia loses when it does that all infantry thing.

• Swiss’s reply was just fine. No need to take his advice personally.

• @!ACHTUNG!:

Could the USA player destroy the Japanese navy by just building subs for 2 or 3 rounds then attacking on mass???

YES SIR YOU CAN BUY ONLY SUBS FOR 3 ROUNDS AND UTTERLY DESTROY THE JAPANESE NAVY ON ITS LOCATION OUTSIDE HAWAIII BUTT ONLY IF HE DID NOT BUY MORE SHIPS. IN THIS RARE CASE JAPAN USUALLY BUY BOMBERS ONLY, AND SBR THE SH!T OUT OF MOSCOW BEFORE GERMANY ROLL IN AND TAKE IT. AND THEN ALL YOUR SUBS ARE USELESS. SO YES YOU CAN SINK THE JAP NAVY BUTT YOU CAN LOSE THE GAME. NOW BE A SMARTA$$ AND BUY MIXED UNITS.

• and do remember to gimme some + karmas and join my effort to reach the magic 800 limit, that is if you fancy my posts. Tank you sir.

• I can think of much more useful things for the U.S. to do with their money then all subs. They need to make a little bit of everything: carriers, fighters, subs, a bomber or two, transports, ground units, etc. Subs should just be an aspect of your strategy, not your whole strategy.

Subs are only useful when combined with other units. They help prevent carriers moving too close to your islands or fleet, but they will not win you the game. In the event of an all sub build, Japan doesn’t have to worry about defending their islands, and can build a few destroyers to stop your all sub build. Japan can quickly thin out your subs by attacking them with 1 destroyer and as many air units as will reach. Unless you think anybody would move the IJN within range of a bunch of subs without being able to survive an attack.  :wink:

• DD block the subs and have the fleet behind it.  Subs gotta run away, and whatever attacks the DD gets killed.  Also, the subs have to run more than 1 square farther away if the fleet has fighters in it.

x . .
    . D .
    . . s

• I think 2 or 3 turns is excessive. But if the Japanese attacked your BB in Haw with ftrs and the dd on round 1, and you took the dd with you (which is often the case). Then the Japanese may have 2 carriers, a transport, 4 ftrs etc. In the hawaiian sea zone. In that case buying 5 subs on round 1 works well to scare them away. Then round 2 fill out your navy with the necessary surface units and round 3 you’d better get moving!!!

• Nah, if you have 2 CVs and 4 FIG in the Hawaiian SZ on A1, I’m attacking them.  4 FIGs, 2 BMB, a CV and a DD can make it.  A crushing loss for the IJN to take so early in the game, regardless of losses taken by the US, which can be easily rebuilt.

• Good point there Cymerdown. I meant also if the Japanese had invaded Hawaii which would give you one less fighter. But nonetheless. I agree that the Americans can launch a financially beneficial attack should they want to.

My basic point was this - if there is enough Japanese forces to deadzone the west coast (the Hawaiian square for example - but not the best example) then buy subs - because they are ‘invisible’ to the IJN if they lost that destroyer to the US BB.

Quite an obvious point - but there you go! :)

• Thanks. =)  Yep, true, it would chase them away if they didn’t have a DD in range.  I think that in some situations they can be usable tactically, I just don’t think they’re a valid en-masse type of unit in Anniversary.  But that’s an opinion that has been voiced by many other people in many other threads on this forum, so I’ll digress. =)

I’ll be interested to see if AA40 has a rule for sub sabotage with convoy squares, that would bring back more relevance to the sub.

• seems every time i play allies, f2f, with tech, i always get super subs.  so i buy lots of subs over the next few turns, like say 10 of them.  and you know honestly, they never do me any damn good.  i guess maybe, forces jap to buy dd, which keeps boots and tracks of asia, but still.  yet every time i get super subs….

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m