• how about giving him some additional troops to fight with?

• that would just be cheating. he wouldn’t learn the game playing that way.

• I don’t know about you guys but whenever I get a video game that has cheats I beat it with cheats a few times, then with less cheats a few more times, then maybe one or two cheats and then finally with no cheats. It may be cheating but you still get the hang of it.
    Also, you could play with bonus options from spring1942.com’s kremlin rules. The bonus options are designed to spice things up but they also benefit the countries.

• yeah but video games and a board game like axis and allies just aren’t the same.

• CLose enough, you want him to learn the more advanced aspects of the game(and still be interested), you got to give him some way to practice with it.
    No one wants to feel like a burden to their team.

• i had the same problem it was not that i couldnt get the hang of it but it was the fact that me a was a newbie and i played my uncle who has had the game for around 30 years i could play the game as a played with my cousin, but when playing my uncle i knew he was very experienced so therefore i darent do nothing becuase if the move i done wasent a good move he would critizize me,so i suggest,dont critizize your friends moves it will discourage him,give him a bit of advice and let him get on with him he problem knows you are more experienced at it, just give him a little time and encouragement i cant remember how i overcome the critizism, i played with my cousin i guess who’s playing abilitys was more on my level so i learnt to play better becuase i could progress more when playing with my cousin the game lasted a lot longer normally playing more uncle he defeated me before i had the chance to conquer russia so playing my cousin i ocassionally defeated russia and then i was stuck didnt know what to do, but after a few times defeating russia i could progress further and further

• I suggest playing with those who have patience and good attention span. A common complaint between newbies (an these are in 4-6 multiplayer games) is that it takes too long until it’s there turn again.

• you should make him pay attention to what you do. even when it’s not his turn. keep him interested. make sure he understands why you do this and that.
    giving him more troops and stiff won’t make anything better. it will prolly only make him feel stupid.
    Give him the UK, as surgested above, talk him thru his and your moves.
    Give us feedback on how it geos

• The UK is the most difficult Allied country to play. They are concerned about Europe, Asia and Africa. The proper use of the UK air is critical, as is the balance between Africa and Europe/Asia.

The US is relatively easy to play, once you coordinate naval movements…but that can be a challenge for newbies.

The Russkies are the second most difficult country to play in a longer game. However, in most games, if you can get him to abide by a standard opening move, then he will have 2-4 turns of mostly conservative defence. He can learn alot by simply watching the UK/US naval movements and the UK use of air to support him in Asia.

So, for a newbie…teach him an opening or two and then let him play Russia.

On the Axis side, let him play Japan. Japan is one of the easiest countries for a newbie to play because you start with a lot, and it is pretty hard NOT to do fairly decent in the first few turns and expand. Plus he will have lots of fun moving all the pieces. :smile: The Axis may not win, but at least he will expand some and learn the fundamentals.

Generally, it is easier to learn the Axis than the Allies…simply because there is much less direct coordination between the players. You don’t have to worry about coordinating naval movements or covering ground forces with the other’s air…at least, not nearly as much as the Allies.

So my first choice with a newbie is always Japan. Less coordination, more time, and less chance of critical errors smoking him early.

SUD

• just want to say I totally agree with SUD (above post).

Jondifool

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m