• I recently saw a thread locked for something as innocuous as getting off topic.  However, when someone had suggested killing Muslim children to prevent terrorism, it was not only allowed, but excused by a mod as a “valid” argument held by many people.

I think this is a clear conflict with priorities and obligations as mods.  How can you expect something to get back on-topic if the thread is locked?  Even though I haven’t seen anyone identify themselves as Muslim or of Middle-Eastern decent on these boards, the highly offensive comment listed above was allowed to stand.  This is just…crazy to say the least.

Maybe such comments are allowed, and are guaranteed in the forum rules.  However, those are not posted as far as I can tell, but perhaps once were (found a dead link).  Yanny’s posting guidelines don’t go into enough detail and are cut and pasted from another topic that does not iterate the rules.

So, I’m asking for some clarification.  This won’t stop me from posting, but it does upset me.  Not to mention disappointed me because I had something a little more light-hearted to post that i thought was funny (but admittedly off topic).  :-(

• Actually, in light of the very topic(s) you mention, I have requested that the mods hammer out some clarifications of the Political discussion guidelines so as to prevent recurrences.

Currently, Yanny is away (and will be for a number of weeks), so no “official” action will occur until his return.

In the interim we will be using the written policies regarding flaming, hopelessly off topic, etc. for the Political threads.  And I personally will be making a unilateral administrative decision to count portrayals such as you describe as “personal,” e.g. flaming, as though an individual of the group targeted were indeed present on the boards and directly targeted.

In short, a lot of the inflammatory racial characterizations that have been rampant for several months on the Political boards is coming to a halt.

I had originally desired to have a very “loose” hand on such topics and to allow people the freedom to express their views, no matter how repugnant such a view may be.  Personally, I think that allowing such views to be aired openly is a great way to show them for what they are:  illogical, close minded, and ignorant.  However, since it has become an issue over the past few days, and since the types of posts you are referring to have become more frequent and more vitriolic than before, they will be coming to an end.

With Yanny away, only the most extreme cases will be refereed to DJensen for posting restriction.  The majority will be handled by me and the other mods via thread lock and/or thread deletion.

For my part in causing the concern, my apologies.  And I hope that you will all be satisfied with my future administration and handling of such issues as they arise.

Questions or concerns regarding my own comments, or regarding the above, can be sent directly to me, or to any of the other site mods.  I am more than willing to bring another mod in to review a situation, as I did with the thread in question.

• Thanks for the reply Switch.  I think you are doing fine as a moderator, and this post exemplifies it well.

I personally didn’t have a problem with that comment.  But I’m sure someone could.  What I was more concerned was allowing it to stand without much said to the poster.  I completely understand your view of “airing out” everything, including obvious racist comments such as that, but there still needs some sort of buffer in sparing people from such comments.  Is it more important that someone is able to say such a thing, or someone not hear it should they be offended?  I don’t know, but I can tell you if I were Muslim, a comment like that could drive me from the boards.

The reason why I don’t completely agree with your view of allowing all statements to stand is that I don’t think you, me, or anyone else will truly be able to make the person making those comments see why they are misguided and wrong.  Although I suppose it would be easier to kill them and their children so we don’t have to deal with it.  :-P

And no apologies necessary.  You were interested in the thread, which, while sometimes conflicts with moderating duties, is completely appropriate for the forum and a moderator.

I think all that’s needed is a restatement of posting guidelines: what is acceptable/unacceptable, etiquette, etc., etc.  If we are going to allow all statements stand, then maybe a disclaimer stating such would be prudent.

Thanks Switch!

• Also, so that you know, I have made a formal inquiry as to whether or not racial remarks and slurs, including advocacy of genocide based on race, should be prohibited postings.  Not currently covered in the forum rules, but does seem to be the primary source of disputes, etc. on the boards currently.

• thanks jermo and nc.
    I"m not Islamic/Arabic, but i have very close friends who are, and some of these comments jermo refers to are as flame-y/bait-y as any that i have written/seen before.  I’ll admit, i’ve nearly left because of them and the attitudes prevalent, but then there would be less of a “counter” to this crap.
    Keep up the good work nc - and don’t worry too much - you are still relatively new to this board and lack a little experience, but Yanny will give you free reign to do what you think is right, so go ahead and do that.

• HAHA! Sounds like your talking about me. :lol:

Maybe if I drank less coffee… :mrgreen:

But seriously, everybody talks shit around here, maybe Jermo has a point.

• @M36:

HAHA! Sounds like your talking about me. :lol:

Maybe if I drank less coffee… :mrgreen:

But seriously, everybody talks sh*t around here, maybe Jermo has a point.

Yup, I’m talking about you.  If I could tell you were joking (which I couldn’t), then fine - but still have to careful about such things.  And, for what’s it’s worth, I wouldn’t want anyone out there saying something about killing marines and their kids to keep them safe, or to avoid marines killing them.  I’m not trying to be whiney and call foul, that’s why I addressed the moderators on boundaries and things.  Hope you understand (I think you do).

:-)

• absoloutly Jermo! I realize that not everybody can be a bloodthirsty genius like me, and some people have that strange vice called compasion. :mrgreen:

alright the matter is addressed, I am locking this before it gets worse…

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m