Forum out of space / Uploader Folder is Full

• TripleA

Just set the online game section to auto-prune after a certain time lapse, say ‘x’ many days or months.

yes couple it with admin deletes.

• Founder TripleA Admin

I’m not certain this forum properly deletes files when an entire topic is deleted.  :-o

• TripleA

Well I have 9 games that are complete in triple a format. I won 7 of them or something… I am never going to look at them. They been reported for league already.

If someone like gamerman or something could delete them then I would be happy.

• '18 Customizer

@djensen:

I’m not certain this forum properly deletes files when an entire topic is deleted.  :-o

Its worth a try!

• Founder TripleA Admin

The problem is that if it doesn’t work, since the topics are gone, I don’t have an easy way to know if the files were deleted. IF the files were not deleted, I now have orphaned files to find. This forum software is not well designed so it’s a paint o do anything practical with it.

The solution is to allow a separate upload process in TripleA for these files so I can ship them to S3 but it looks like that will not happen, ever.

• '18 Customizer

@djensen:

The problem is that if it doesn’t work, since the topics are gone, I don’t have an easy way to know if the files were deleted. IF the files were not deleted, I now have orphaned files to find. This forum software is not well designed so it’s a paint o do anything practical with it.

You will know if they are gone because there will be few/no more 404 errors anymore. I know how you feel about phpBB as we have discussed it but if phpBB was that bad it wouldn’t be the most popular forum platform out there. If phpBB didn’t work it would of been gone a long time ago and SMF would be the king, but its not! Might be time for a change.

• Founder TripleA Admin

phpBB works, it dones’t work well.

Also, sorry, IMO this is flawed logic: “if phpBB was that bad it wouldn’t be the most popular forum platform out there”.

It’s the most popular because it was first and easy to set up and nobody really challenged it or cared to. Jeff Atwood, of Stack Overflow and Stack Exchange, also believes that forums like phpBB are broken. As well as the Vanilla Forums team.

Just because it’s popular, doesn’t make it better. SMF sucks too BTW. ;-)

At this point, if I changed it would be Discourse but I’d rather try to get Banter launched instead.

• '12

Windows is a deeply flawed operating system and has been for decades.  Seems that is no barrier to popularity.

• I noticed from a game I played around September/October 2012 that the savegames added to the posts have been removed!
    I do not know who did it - but obviously it works!

• TripleA

Maybe if possible open up a thread for games in which editing is possible. Call it the casual friendly game thread or something.

I actually plan on running 20 games at one time and then 20 more. Just to secure my position in the global league ladder playoffs. Considering a turn only takes me 5 minutes tops, because I am decisive and I am used to playing live games.

So yeah I don’t want to consume all the space on the site. >,<

• Customizer

@P@nther:

I noticed from a game I played around September/October 2012 that the savegames added to the posts have been removed!

That doesn’t necessarily mean it has been also removed from the hard drive.  Or that any cache objects or things related strictly only to it, have also been removed.

• '12

Perhaps a batch file that is called once per day that deletes certain file extensions of a certain age.  This could further be limited to specific sub-directories so that ‘classic games’ could be preserved for reference for new players to a game.  Would break html references to the file but would be a down and dirty solution that works.

• @Veqryn:

@P@nther:

I noticed from a game I played around September/October 2012 that the savegames added to the posts have been removed!

That doesn’t necessarily mean it has been also removed from the hard drive.  Or that any cache objects or things related strictly only to it, have also been removed.

You’re right, but in that case it would make no sense to remove only the “link” to the file. It would not free any space…

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Just auto-delete threads that haven’t seen a post in 60 days.

• '12

Removing the link is way way WAY harder than removing the file via batch delete on a timer.  Removing the link require parsing and editing the files/data that the forum software uses to render the webpages.  Whereas the batch delete of the file is pretty much one line of dos/unix and that is called once per day on a timed basis but this leaves the link broken.  Mind you I am not sure how the forum software stores linked files so perhaps not as easy as I am whiteboarding.

Garg, as far as auto deleting threads, that would be a feature of the forum software that may be in a ‘future’ release.  Sounds like perhaps we just needs more moderators/boots on the ground and use blunt force to fix this problem.

• TripleA

Make a game thread in which peeps can delete stuff themselves when they are finished. Most players will not cheat or con someone, the worried ones can play in the league/tournament area, the rest can just play casual.

• TripleA

I seriously want to play 30 games of global but I do not want to crash the server lol.
    ~
    I noticed that if I edit… then the dice will all reroll!

HMMM.

I was thinking maybe have moderators delete games long after they are completed.
    ~

Just delete everything inactive for more than 6 months. That is super quick. If you want to spend many hours you can save the last file of every single game and put the “title, date, and players”  and post an entire thread with just the last file and the result of who was who and who won.

If that does not clear enough space. Have mods delete games that are completed and recorded. That is it.

I win 3/4th of my games and I will never look at them again. There is no point to them.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m