Flight Stand Height and Components

• What seems to be good and/or average height for flight stands?  I understand that the answer to this question will be based off of personal preferences.  I am looking for information concerning the stands usability.  i.e.  x height was too tall because they tipped over too easy or y height was too short because it got in the way of the infantry or z heights works great because of ABC, etc.

I understand that FMG’s flight stands are 28mm high.  Thoughts/experience with these?  I am going to try to make my own that will be a similar style to these and some others I have seen in the forum.  My pin needles are 31 or 33mm high. (can’t remember right now)

I am also open to any and all advice concerning the bases of the stands in shape, size, and weight, again, for stability and usability reasons.  i.e. will 2 grams work for a base?  What about .5 grams?

Does anyone know of any reputable places that I could find really small rare earth magnets to glue to the bottom of the aircraft, under/inside carriers, and on top of the pin needle heads.  (I think 2mm diameter for the pin needle heads is about right)  I tried a couple of local hobby stores with no luck.

• '17 '16

The FMG flight stands place the aircraft slightly above the height of the top of infantry’s helmets in A&A, this helps with space saving in smaller or crowded territories.

You can find a lot of tips on aircraft stands in this video by one of our board contributers (skip to about 2:20 for the flight stands):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtIfWYtpkJU

As with anything these days, when shopping for something you can’t find locally, I’d at least start by looking at Amazon.com.

• I am working on the same project myself.
    I decided to use #10 nuts and #16 1_1/4" finishing nails. I am epoxying the nail in the nut.
    I don’t think this will be a fast process, but it is saving money. My design will be a little taller than the FMG Flight Stands.
    I was able to get an infantry with 5 chips under a bomber with no chips.
    And the #10 Nut is small enough to fit inside the inner circle of your chips.
    I figure it will cost are $0.12 USD per stand. So it should have me about $250.

Watching GHG’s video Wolfshanze posted helped too.
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/ja13z17x4yck67w/DIY_Flight_Stand.jpg

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m