• Just curious everyone’s thoughts and experience on Alpha Plus so far.  I had argued that the game’s original set was two overpowered for the allies.  So I am glad to see a beefed up Germany and Italy.

I have played one game of Alpha Plus so far and the axis won after I conceded when I saw no path to victory as the allies in that game.  I don’t want to come off as complaining but I think the game most likely favors the axis now.  It now takes a lot of skill to play the USA as spending points in just one theather is not really an option any more.  Splitting points is very hard to do correctly.

Do you think the game is now balanced?  Who do you think it favors?  And finally anyone got any good tactics for achieving victory as the allies.

Thanks in advance,

• You’ll have to outline your game for us to get any meaning out of it.

Many of the changes favor the Allies, so I don’t see suddenly saying it favors the Axis now. Italy probably won’t be immediately crushed now and the US is a bit of a slower start, but with with Japan’s expansion made more difficult and the UK probably keeping more of it’s starting ships, the Allies have plenty of advantages they didn’t have in the original game.

• I haven’t play this yet but I think that it does favor the axis because of how easy it is to control one side of the board for at least a few turns. The allies tend to win if the game drags on and I don’t think that will change they still can massively outspend the axis in the long run.

• In the game I played my opponent pulled off a successful sea lion but it he lost his air force in the assault as well as about 15 german ground units in the assault.  I attacked him with USSR turn 4 and was able to take Norway and then landed about 12 american ground forces there after liberating UK.  He was later able to retake it using his transports.  US was able to take Pearl Harbor so I built a huge navy in the pacific to try and take it back but my opponent kept matching points with me so our fleets got huge.

Germany was able to recover in the fight against Russia and it was an arms race where both sides built art and inf.  Italy meanwhile became a 40 point country because Africa was over run due to the fact that I had to spend all my points as UK on defending my capital and then on top of that UK was knocked out of the game for awhile.  By the time UK got back in it Italy had won the fight for Africa and could now focus on attacking Russia with Germany.

I could not stop Italy from attacking Russia with USA because I had to spend all my points on navy every turn because my opponent was spending at least 60+ points to beef up his navy each turn.  Eventually I was at an economical disadvantage and had to make a move.  I decided to attack his navy in the pacific with my navy but I lost the fight because I rolled horrible.  So I conceded at that point.

It will take more play testing  Okay edits to come I have to move to a different computer brb.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m