• Techs don’t usually help.

You often get the wrong one for your country…
    Examples are rockets for Japan and subs for USSR!

Heavy BMRs and production bonus are too big a compared to the others!

• @Xi:

Techs don’t usually help.

You often get the wrong one for your country…
    Examples are rocets for Japan and subs for USSR!

What’s so bad about Rockets for Japan? Move an AA to Manchuria & you can attack USSR. If UK has an IC in India you could hit it from there as well. Put one on Hawaii & you can attack the US. You are 1 turn away from your choice of any of these targets…

Super Subs for USSR is pretty crapola, but what’s USSR rolling for tech for anyway?

Ozone27

• USSR roll for tech is useful (but a risky way to spend your money on something else than infantry at the beginning) ONLY for Industrial Tech, think about it , Infantry at 2 I.P.C., the best defence VS Germs…

• USSR roll for tech is useful (but a risky way to spend your money on something else than infantry at the beginning) ONLY for Industrial Tech, think about it , Infantry at 2 I.P.C., the best defence VS Germs…

1 Ind Tech = 1 in 36 rows
    36 rows = 180 IPCs
    180 IPCs = 60 INFs
    60 INFs = Priceless!!! :D

PS:
    -60 INFs = Dead Russia

• My bad.
    The probability of getting a particular tech you want is a lot more complicated than 1/36 but you get the idea. :D

• @Ozone27:

What’s so bad about Rockets for Japan?

You’ve usually spent (2 dice) about 3 rolls (1 die each roll) worth of attacks when you could have built and moved 3 INF (or 2 ARM) to atttack multiple times[and destroyed 1 INF, [i]1 ARM or 1 FTR with each hit. There’s your flaw!

I do not really like to use Tech…
    If I am winning I don’t need it (I usually win.)
    If I am losing it’s a desperate gambit that is often lost.

In my book, I’d like to have HBMRs for only one BMR to limit that advantage. Plus, Industrial Tech would NOT apply to INF. I’m trying to talk my gamebuds into the IT rule (we play the Limited HBMR option.)

• b_o_,
    I’ve watched many opponents roll between 3 (with little concern) and
    12 (stubborn) dice [usually one die @ a time, but as many as 3 each turn].
    Most of these dictators :) dug their own graves, loaded their own guns,
    and blew their own brains out.
    Reasonable purchases would have been a better choice and lousy rolls on
    my (it happens) or my partner’s part would have changed the game.

D_B_,
    @Dirt:

60 INFs = Dead Russia

Don’t you mean “Dead Germany” for the example you’ve discussed?
    Though 60 INF (@ 2 IPCs each) v any opponent spells DEATH!

• -60 INFs = Dead Russia

I meant if Russia is foolish enough to go for Ind Tech, it means 60 less Russian INFs (minus in front of 60), which spells one dead Russia. :wink:

• Sorry for the attempt at humour. :oops:

• i thought that joke was funny! :lol:

• Thanks harry. I needed that. :D

• What joke?

36 rows?

I thought you were originally from Massachusetts
    and spelled the way you pronounced “rolls.” :roll: :wink:

• Yes, rolls. :oops:

And it should take on average less than 36 rolls to get a particular tech you want as my Excel program (working progress) will demonstrate. Still is a big chunck of IPCs that should be spent on INFs.

• Oh-kay!
    36 rows it is.

Techs OUT!

Strategy IN!
    That’s planning and execution for anyone from West Palm Beach, FL! :P

• Well, you should give it a guess once… but not in the opening, exept from USA where your money is a hell lot easier to get than Russia… poor Russia… squeezed up between Germany & Japan…

But fun to play sometimes against newbies! They think that Japan target is USA… they will learn one day!

• But until then, b_o_,

KILL! KILL! KILL!
    MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

• A little math lesson (sorry Xi :wink: ).

Starting with owning no techs, on average, it takes 21 rolls of dice to get the particular tech you want (eg heavy bomber). Here is how:

First the easy part. On average it takes 6 rolls to get a six (let’s call this a tech chance). Now on each tech chance you roll to see what tech you’re getting, so the probability of getting heavy bomber on the first tech chance (let’s call it P(1)) is 1/6. But the probability of not getting it is 5/6 but you get another tech (super sub?). So on the second tech chance you will get heavy bomber 1/5 of the time, given that you miss on the first tech chance. So the probability of getting heavy bomber on the second tech chance (and missing on the first tech chance) is P(2)=(5/6)(1/5)=1/6. Similarly the probability of getting heavy bomber on the third, forth, fifth and sixth tech chance (and missing on the previous tech chances) are:
    P(3)=(5/6)(4/5)(1/4)=1/6
    P(4)=(5/6)(4/5)(3/4)(1/3)=1/6
    P(5)=(5/6)(4/5)(3/4)(2/3)(1/2)=1/6
    P(6)=(5/6)(4/5)(3/4)(2/3)(1/2)(1/1)=1/6
    So it turns out that you are as likely to get heavy bomber on your first tech chance as the sixth (and last) tech chance, similar to rolling a dice where you are equally likely to get any of the number 1 to 6. Therefore the average number of tech chances you need to get heavy bomber (or any one particular tech you want) is 3.5, much like the average number of IPC damage done on a SBR is 3.5. Now it takes an average of 6 rolls to get one tech chance so that 3.5 tech chance equals 21 rolls. Remember we are talking about averages here.

Phew! Now raise your hand if you know the averge number of dice roll to get heavy bomber starting with axis ad, or if you know what the heck I’m talking about. :roll:

PS
    This is first year university probability math. Don’t feel bad if you don’t get it. Just take my word for it. If there’re enough demand, I’ll post the solution to axis ad. :D

• No way, hoser! :P

• It’s true and it’s confirmed by my Excel tech roll simulator. 8)

• What you guys don’t seem to get is the gambling aspect of Technology.

I personally do not gamble, because I don’t want to lose money, but the gamblers’ credo is “don’t gamble what you don’t want to lose”!

There are times in the game when someone w/ a gambler’s heart will want to roll for tech. No matter what the odds, there is a chance that any time you roll for tech–be it one die or 60-- that you will win it. It’s luck and guts, pure & simple.

Now the odds you will get a particular tech are very low, but there are many situations where several different techs would help you in different ways.

The fact is that while theoretically speaking, it takes 60–or whatever–dice to get a particular tech, there is always the possibility that the next roll is the one! That’s called gambling, and if you are a gambler tech may be for you!

Anyone who has been defeated by someone who got Heavy Bombers or LRA or whatever in 3 rolls can tell you that it CAN PAY OFF!

Ozone27

P.S. Not only that, but what is the alternative? Spending 5 IPCs on an ARM may seem like a worthwhile investment, but what if IT scores no hits ever & is eliminated? That can happen w/ the dice–happens all the time in fact. That is a “waste” of money too!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m