• I’m going to be painting 12 of my Industrial Complexes from older editions of A&A completely black and then applying gloss varnish to keep the paint from chipping/peeling off. The other 17 IC’s I have are going to remain grey to be used as minor IC’s.

Have any of you done something like this? Any tips?

I’ll post pics when I’m done.

• '14 Customizer

Here is a link where I painted mine. I ended up repainting since I have a 4 tier IC for the game since we play with tech. They are also magnetic. :)

• Minor (1 stack)

• Increased Factory Production tech - Minor (2 stacks)

• Major(3 stacks)

• Increased Factory Production tech - Major (4 stacks)

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=33966.0

• Those look amazing cyanight! Do you varnish all the pieces after painting or is it perhaps not necessary?  :-)

• '14 Customizer

I coated mine with gloss but you could use satin clear instead.  Sometimes the gloss helps accent the piece but other times it clouds some of the detail.

• Sponsor

I spray painted mine because I’m a Neanderthal like that, and I definitely regret not coating them with something because the black paint is rubbing onto my minor gray ICs now.

• @Young:

I spray painted mine because I’m a Neanderthal like that, and I definitely regret not coating them with something because the black paint is rubbing onto my minor gray ICs now.

That’s exactly what I was afraid might happen. Thanks, good to know buying the varnish was worth it.

• The playing sculpts and the factories are two different kinds of plastic.  I believe the factories and AAA guns are made of polystyrene (plastic models) and would hold a regular enamel paint like the Testors brand (in the US)  The playing sculpts are polypropylene and require a base coat of Krylon Fusion spray paint of a polyurethane coating.  This should be sufficient to hold a color coat of acrylic or enamel paint.  A finish layer of polyurethane would keep the finish from rubbing off due to use or storage.  Thin layers not only dry faster of coarse, they also preserve the details of the sculpt.

• Thanks everyone for your replies, I finished last night. Really happy with how these turned out.

factories.jpg

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m