G40: Caesar1 (Allies, USA +8/turn) vs. teslas

• '18 '16

This time was a really unlucky turn for me!  :-o. I think this will balance your defeat in the chinese territory, and it’s probably more than you expected

• '15

And jesus christ, yes, that Taranto fight went swimmingly for the Axis, and I got to keep my German subs off of Scotland. Thank you fickle dice goddesses.

But it wasn’t all one-sided. The Tobruk fight had the Axis score zero hits on the first round.

I’m not sure if I’d rather lose the German tac bomber or the Italian cruiser. I think because I’m so unsure, I’m going to just trust what you picked for me, and lose the German tac.

• '15

Jesus, hard turn for Italy. Hopefully I can get more time for it today.

Option 1: Go kill everything on Malta. ~65% chance
    Upon success: 3 UK planes are dead.
    Failure: Waste of turn and units.
    Additional drawback: Italian navy susceptible to being hit by French, American, and UK suicides.

Option 2: Go take Gibraltar from you. ~63% chance
    Upon success: Germany can kill the fleet in 91 on its turn, and the Axis own Gibraltar forever, and you’ve even put an air base there for us.
    Upon failure: Total loss of Italian navy.

Option 3: Go take Syria. 100% chance
    Positive: 7 units in Iraq next round.
    Drawback: There’s enough UK shit to make that pretty far over-extended.

Do you have any advice for me, or is there something I missed?

• '18 '16

I just followed the standard loss option Triple A gave me.

I think you can add Greece, Tobruk, Egypt and Trans-Jordan in your list. But I’ll say you what I would have done if I were you after your turn.

• '15

You can tell me before, if you want :p

I’ll try to get to it tonight when I’m back home. Not enough time to do it during lunch today.

• '15

@Caesar1:

I just followed the standard loss option Triple A gave me.

I think you can add Greece, Tobruk, Egypt and Trans-Jordan in your list. But I’ll say you what I would have done if I were you after your turn.

Egypt is unwise. I can only land 4 units. Your defenders will likely kill at least one of them, for three units. On Britain’s next turn, you have a transport bringing in two inf, a mech, and a tank in range to hit them, along with the Maltese planes and a cruiser bombard for good measure. I’ll have effectively wasted a turn of effort. If I bring up my sub-saharan africans for another hit on the next round, I won’t be able to reload my transports the same turn, so attempting to retake it is almost assuredly going to fail. I don’t think Egypt is a good plan. I don’t think you think Egypt is a good plan for the Axis, either.

Trans-Jordan is awful. I would be in range of a direct counter-hit on my 4 landing units by basically the same shit that could hit me in Egypt. Turn wasted.

Tobruk is possible, but carries the exact same risks as hitting Malta does, except much worse because the Maltese planes are alive to obliterate the Italian navy. This is literal suicide.

Taking Greece now is a steady play, but one that doesn’t actually advance the overall goal much. And what do I do after? After this turn everything you have strong is even stronger. The goal as Italy is to attempt to fuck up Britain if it can, and if it can’t, to turtle up. Greece would be what I did if I was forced to turtle, or if I was worried about the UK landing troops there soon, but here, I’m not, so I think it’s non-optimal. The normal option after Greece is for an easy hit on Egypt, but Egypt isn’t possible next round because of all of the reasons it’s not a good idea this round.

So no, I wouldn’t add those things you said to my list as viable options. I’d almost think you’re trying to sabotage me, sir! I’m looking forward to hearing what you’d do after I make my move, which is starting now, with dinner potentially interrupting it.

• '15

TripleA Manual Gamesave Post for game: World War II Global 1940 2nd Edition, version: 3.9

Game History

Round: 1

Purchase Units - Italians
                Italians buy 1 armour and 1 mech_infantry; Remaining resources: 0 PUs;

Politics - Italians
                Italians takes Political Action: Political Action Italians To War With Chinese
                    Italians succeeds on action: Political Action Italians To War With Chinese: Changing Relationship for Italians and Chinese from Neutrality to War

Combat Move - Italians
                1 unit repaired.
                1 artillery and 2 infantry moved from Ethiopia to Anglo Egyptian Sudan
                      Italians take Anglo Egyptian Sudan from British
                1 infantry moved from Italian Somaliland to Kenya
                      Italians take Kenya from British
                1 armour moved from Albania to 97 Sea Zone
                1 infantry moved from Southern Italy to 97 Sea Zone
                1 infantry moved from Southern Italy to 95 Sea Zone
                1 armour moved from Northern Italy to 95 Sea Zone
                1 armour, 1 infantry and 1 transport moved from 95 Sea Zone to 92 Sea Zone
                1 armour, 1 infantry and 1 transport moved from 97 Sea Zone to 92 Sea Zone
                1 cruiser moved from 95 Sea Zone to 92 Sea Zone
                1 destroyer moved from 95 Sea Zone to 92 Sea Zone
                1 battleship and 1 cruiser moved from 97 Sea Zone to 92 Sea Zone
                1 submarine moved from 95 Sea Zone to 93 Sea Zone
                1 fighter moved from Southern Italy to 93 Sea Zone
                1 bomber moved from Northern Italy to 93 Sea Zone
                1 fighter moved from Southern Italy to 96 Sea Zone

Combat - Italians

• '15

For some reason it didn’t give me the option to scramble your fighters on Gibraltar.

Oh, wait, that’s because I forgot to move my dudes onto Gibraltar, woooops.

Let me post a new save with that done.

• '15

TripleA Move Summary for game: World War II Global 1940 2nd Edition, version: 3.9

Game History

Politics - Italians
                    Italians succeeds on action: Political Action Italians To War With Chinese: Changing Relationship for Italians and Chinese from Neutrality to War

Combat Move - Italians
                1 unit repaired.
                1 cruiser and 1 destroyer moved from 95 Sea Zone to 92 Sea Zone
                2 armour and 2 infantry moved from 92 Sea Zone to Gibraltar

• '15

There we go.

Scrambles?

• '18 '16

Big mistake the two UK unit landed in Morocco. No scramble! You have 51%, the same chance I had in 97sz. Let’s see what happens in this strange game. Your option is a good one but a bit risky. I always prefer sure battles if you have clear goals and expectations. But if you conquer Gibraltar allies will slow the fortress Euorpe assoult.

• '15

It says 62% on my end?

Either way, let’s see!

• '15

@teslas:

Option 2: Go take Gibraltar from you. ~63% chance
    Upon success: Germany can kill the fleet in 91 on its turn, and the Axis own Gibraltar forever, and you’ve even put an air base there for us.
    Upon failure: Total loss of Italian navy.

Shit! The plan was to also take Southern France as Italy, I had the units to do it, I just forgot in my hurry to get the action posted!

As you can see from my post earlier, taking Gibraltar hinged on also using the Germans to kill the fleet in SZ 91, which required taking Southern France.

I can understand that you wouldn’t want me to go back now, but this was the original intention, and part of the move I just did, I just forgot one of the attack moves :(((

Would you mind if I did Northern Italy -> Southern France as well, sir?

• '15

Actually, wait, I guess. I don’t want to mess up the save game since dice were already rolled. We’ll just continue on this way. No problem.

• '15

TripleA Turn Summary for game: World War II Global 1940 2nd Edition, version: 3.9

Game History

Politics - Italians

Combat Move - Italians
                1 unit repaired.
                1 cruiser and 1 destroyer moved from 95 Sea Zone to 92 Sea Zone
                2 armour and 2 infantry moved from 92 Sea Zone to Gibraltar

Combat - Italians
                Battle in Gibraltar
                    Italians attack with 2 armour and 2 infantry
                    British defend with 1 airfield, 1 fighter and 1 harbour; Americans defend with 1 artillery, 1 fighter and 1 infantry
                    Italians win, taking Gibraltar from British with 2 armour remaining. Battle score for attacker is 21
                    Casualties for Italians: 2 infantry
                    Casualties for British: 1 fighter
                    Casualties for Americans: 1 artillery, 1 fighter and 1 infantry
                Battle in 96 Sea Zone
                    Italians attack with 1 fighter
                    British defend with 1 transport
                    Italians win with 1 fighter remaining. Battle score for attacker is 7
                    Casualties for British: 1 transport
                Battle in 93 Sea Zone
                    Italians attack with 1 bomber, 1 fighter and 1 submarine
                    French defend with 1 cruiser and 1 destroyer
                    Italians win with 1 bomber and 1 fighter remaining. Battle score for attacker is 14
                    Casualties for Italians: 1 submarine
                    Casualties for French: 1 cruiser and 1 destroyer

Non Combat Move - Italians
                1 bomber and 1 fighter moved from 93 Sea Zone to Southern Italy
                1 fighter moved from 96 Sea Zone to Southern Italy
                2 artilleries and 2 infantry moved from Northern Italy to Yugoslavia
                2 aaGuns moved from Northern Italy to Yugoslavia
                2 aaGuns moved from Southern Italy to Northern Italy
                4 infantry moved from Southern Italy to Northern Italy
                2 infantry moved from Albania to Yugoslavia

Place Units - Italians
                1 armour and 1 mech_infantry placed in Northern Italy

Turn Complete - Italians
                Total Cost from Convoy Blockades: 0
                    Rolling for Convoy Blockade Damage in 72 Sea Zone. Rolls: 6
                Italians collect 12 PUs; end with 12 PUs total
                Objective Italians 1 Control The Mediterranean: Italians met a national objective for an additional 5 PUs; end with 17 PUs
                Turning on Edit Mode
                EDIT: Removing units owned by Italians from Yugoslavia: 2 infantry
                EDIT: Adding units owned by Italians to Albania: 2 infantry
                EDIT: Turning off Edit Mode

• '15

Welp, Italy won the Gibraltar fight. This game just got super interesting for the European Axis.

I am winning this game on dice, and I fully admit that, but it’s because I’m willing to capitalize on my good fortunes :p

Come on, America, show us that you don’t need +14 to win!

• '18 '16

I remebered it was one naval bombing per transport and not per unit. So it would be better if I had scrambled just 1 fighter in order to avoid the three bombing dice. But now it’s too late.
    I think luck is always turning randomly so I’m expecting some better dice in the following turns  :wink:

• '18 '16

TripleA Turn Summary for game: World War II Global 1940 2nd Edition, version: 3.9

Game History

Purchase Units - ANZAC
                ANZAC buy 1 artillery and 2 infantry; Remaining resources: 0 PUs;

Combat Move - ANZAC

Non Combat Move - ANZAC
                1 cruiser moved from 63 Sea Zone to 54 Sea Zone
                1 transport moved from 62 Sea Zone to 63 Sea Zone
                1 infantry moved from New Zealand to 63 Sea Zone
                1 infantry and 1 transport moved from 63 Sea Zone to 54 Sea Zone
                1 destroyer moved from 62 Sea Zone to 54 Sea Zone
                2 infantry moved from Queensland to South Australia
                1 artillery moved from Queensland to South Australia
                2 aaGuns and 2 infantry moved from New South Wales to Queensland
                2 fighters moved from New Zealand to Queensland
                1 infantry moved from 54 Sea Zone to Queensland

Place Units - ANZAC
                1 artillery and 2 infantry placed in New South Wales

Turn Complete - ANZAC
                ANZAC collect 10 PUs; end with 10 PUs total
                Trigger ANZAC 1 Control Original And Malaya: ANZAC met a national objective for an additional 5 PUs; end with 15 PUs

Territory Summary for ANZAC :

Malaya : 1 infantry
        Queensland : 2 aaGuns, 1 airfield, 3 fighters, 1 harbour and 3 infantry
        New Zealand : 1 airfield and 1 harbour
        New South Wales : 1 artillery, 1 factory_minor, 1 harbour and 2 infantry
        South Australia : 1 artillery and 2 infantry
        54 Sea Zone : 1 cruiser, 1 destroyer and 1 transport
        Egypt : 2 infantry

Production/PUs Summary :

Germans : 39 / 68
        Russians : 37 / 37
        Japanese : 39 / 44
        Americans : 50 / 78
        Chinese : 10 / 16
        British : 28 / 35
        UK_Pacific : 10 / 10
        Italians : 12 / 17
        ANZAC : 10 / 15
        French : 13 / 0
        Dutch : 11 / 0
        Mongolians : 0 / 0
        Neutral_Axis : 2 / 0
        Neutral_Allies : 4 / 0
        Neutral_True : 18 / 0

• '18 '16

Game History

Combat Move - French

Non Combat Move - French
                1 infantry moved from Southern France to Normandy Bordeaux
                1 artillery moved from Southern France to Normandy Bordeaux
                1 infantry moved from Syria to Trans-Jordan
                1 infantry moved from Algeria to Morocco
                1 infantry moved from Tunisia to Algeria
                1 infantry moved from French West Africa to French Central Africa
                1 destroyer moved from 72 Sea Zone to 81 Sea Zone

Turn Complete - French

Territory Summary for French :

Trans-Jordan : 1 infantry
        United Kingdom : 1 fighter and 2 infantry
        Morocco : 2 infantry
        Normandy Bordeaux : 2 artilleries, 1 factory_minor, 1 harbour and 2 infantry
        French Central Africa : 1 infantry
        Algeria : 1 infantry
        Southern France : 1 factory_minor and 1 harbour
        81 Sea Zone : 1 destroyer

Production/PUs Summary :

Germans : 39 / 68
        Russians : 37 / 37
        Japanese : 39 / 44
        Americans : 50 / 78
        Chinese : 10 / 16
        British : 28 / 35
        UK_Pacific : 10 / 10
        Italians : 12 / 17
        ANZAC : 10 / 15
        French : 13 / 0
        Dutch : 11 / 0
        Mongolians : 0 / 0
        Neutral_Axis : 2 / 0
        Neutral_Allies : 4 / 0
        Neutral_True : 18 / 0

• '15

@Caesar1:

I remebered it was one naval bombing per transport and not per unit. So it would be better if I had scrambled just 1 fighter in order to avoid the three bombing dice. But now it’s too late.
    I think luck is always turning randomly so I’m expecting some better dice in the following turns  :wink:

Actually, it was like 61% if you scrambled nothing, and 65% if you scrambled one fighter (you rolled one less fighter on defense, but you got three less bombards).

I was hoping you scrambled 0, because if you scrambled 2, and got 1 or 2 hits, that set you up for the suicide runs against the ITA fleet on the allies’ next turn.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m